BCT15X: Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos12135

So let me first state that I am extremely new to scanners, and so I'll try to be as detailed, but brief as possible.

I live in Simi Valley, California. I'm trying to listen on the Simi Valley Police Department radio frequencies, but I've messed with this unit for so long now (BCT15X), and I'm beginning to speculate that it's impossible at this point. If advice or suggestions?

b96ba35851.png

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
The BCT15X is an analog scanner...the only analog frequency on your list is the Police VHF Access. You will not be able to monitor Simi Valley with the BCT15X as they are using a digital modulation system.

chaos12135

The BCT15X is an analog scanner...the only analog frequency on your list is the Police VHF Access. You will not be able to monitor Simi Valley with the BCT15X as they are using a digital modulation system.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. So I need a scanner that can do P25, right?

wtp

the rest of the story

if you go and look at the whole county almost all of it can be monitored.
just skip any P-25.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thank you so much for getting back to me. So I need a scanner that can do P25, right?

That is correct, and they can be expensive. There are, however, a couple of alternatives. Either put what is known as a discriminator tap into your scanner, or buy a cheap USB dongle, and run software known as DSD (or it's cousin, DSD+.

I would caution, however, that setting up the software is not a trivial exercise.

Mike

chaos12135

That is correct, and they can be expensive. There are, however, a couple of alternatives. Either put what is known as a discriminator tap into your scanner, or buy a cheap USB dongle, and run software known as DSD (or it's cousin, DSD+.

I would caution, however, that setting up the software is not a trivial exercise.

Mike

So theoretically, I could turn my BCT15X into a P25 supported scanner by running DSD(+) on it? Also, setting up the software not being trivial as in, it could damage my scanner, or it's very difficult to do, or both?

wtp

he said he is new

tapping a scanner means finding a spot to "tap" into and running a wire to a computer, and running software to convert the audio so you are now ties to a computer.
a dongle is a usb device that you plug into a computer and run software to hear radio.

chaos12135

tapping a scanner means finding a spot to "tap" into and running a wire to a computer, and running software to convert the audio so you are now ties to a computer.
a dongle is a usb device that you plug into a computer and run software to hear radio.

For a dongle, do you always have to have a usb device plugged in to your computer?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You can find new, or like new, BCD996XT's on eBay for $300-350. The portable version (BCD396XT) goes for $250-300. These are very capable P25 Phase I scanners, and tend to hold up well over time. Even a used one will likely perform well for years to come. Or get a brand spankin' new BCD996P2 Phase II capable scanner on Amazon for $354. Spend a little cash on one of those and you'll have two self-contained scanners to work with instead of one that is forever tethered to a laptop.

Blackswan73

You can also buy a RS PRO 668 on eBay for $225-$245 new in box. That scanner can do both P25 phase 1, and phase 2. This might be worth considering if anything in your area is planning to migrate to phase 2. Add another hundred, and you can pick up a Home Patrol 2, one of the finest scanners on the market.

chaos12135

You can also buy a RS PRO 668 on eBay for $225-$245 new in box. That scanner can do both P25 phase 1, and phase 2. This might be worth considering if anything in your area is planning to migrate to phase 2. Add another hundred, and you can pick up a Home Patrol 2, one of the finest scanners on the market.

How would I know if they migrate to phase II. Is there an example of P25 Phase II on radio reference frequency database?

Voyager

The mode column will contain a T rather than a D for Phase II.

Here is a system with Phase II TGs. Note the first group of two TGs.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8184

Note that this is for trunked systems. I'm not sure how (or if) RR tags conventional Phase II activity.

Yes, that scanner decodes Phase II, but that is a terrible price. I would look on Amazon. I think I read earlier some people got them for close to $400 today.

Last edited:

chaos12135

The mode column will contain a T rather than a D for Phase II.

Here is a system with Phase II TGs. Note the first group of two TGs.
Onslow County/Jacksonville City (Project 25) Public Services Trunking System, Jacksonville, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Note that this is for trunked systems. I'm not sure how (or if) RR tags conventional Phase II activity.

Yes, that scanner decodes Phase II, but that is a terrible price. I would look on Amazon. I think I read earlier some people got them for close to $400 today.

Thank you for your reply.

I have my last question. Buying the Uniden BCD536HP Digital Phase 2 Base, how would I program it for the Simi Valley Police Department "SVPD1" (I know how to program scanners for "FMN" and "FMN")? I see that the mode say's "P25", but as I understand now, I need like DEC, HEX, and Talkgroups to properly program it to listen to P25 systems. Any advice?
466aa0ff17.png

As for that price, I'm not sure why radioreference forums changed my link to a best buy link, but I had originally posted a amazon link. I would just like to confirm one final time, that this unit here will allow me to listen to the Simi Valley Police Department, using the information from radio reference? : Amazon.com: Uniden BCD536HP Digital Phase 2 Base/Mobile Scanner with HPDB and Wi-Fi: Car Electronics

Voyager

See reply number 16 right above yours.

I didn't think there was conventional Phase II yet, but you never know when it might become available. It is technically possible.

for conventional channels, just set the type as "digital only" and enter the NAC as shown (465 in your example).

chaos12135

See reply number 16 right above yours.

I didn't think there was conventional Phase II yet, but you never know when it might become available. It is technically possible.

for conventional channels, just set the type as "digital only" and enter the NAC as shown (465 in your example).

Thank you so much for your quick reply mate. So assuming that the scanner I referenced in the last reply can do what I need it to do. So I just set it up the frequency, and set the tone, and it should work correctly, as long as I set it up correctly? As for a quick self reference, SVPD1 is running on P25 Phase I? Also, SVPD1 is a P25 conventional, and not trucked, correct?

I'm very sorry if I don't seem to make sense (or become annoying), as I have said in the fist post, I'm extremely new at this, and I would love to become an experienced user. It just takes some time for me to completely understand everything, and a lot of searching up for everything to try and make sense. Which is why I'm also asking a lot of questions that might seem repetitive, just so I can wrap my head around this as much as possible. Thank you in advanced for understanding.

Voyager

There are two routes:

1. Just enter your zip code and use the preloaded database (make sure it's updated), or

2. Make a new Favorites List, and within that make a new System (Conventional), within that a new Department, and within that a new Channel, then add the frequency, mode (NFM) and set that to Digital Only and set the NAC. Then repeat the new Channel step for all the other channels. (Hint: Pressing MENU backs out of the menu to where you select NEW CHANNEL)

Status
Not open for further replies.