• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Is it the weather or what lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio1114

Is it the weather that is causing us to be so grouchy lately or is a full moon or could it be the worries that are going on in the world lately?Any ideas why?

SCPD

Disturbance in the atmosphere caused by the space shuttle.

I can't say for sure but hot damn, it's not just here in RR land that people are grumps. The last few days it seems like just about everybody is at everybody around here...And it's just supposed to be picking up heat wise...Oh, I can hardly wait.

Maybe we just need to get a few good jokes going here to lighten the mood.

Sadly, none of mine are clean enough to prevent me from getting banned :)

Radio1114

lol thats possible.But it is true it must be the heat we are up around 32 to 34 here thats Hottttttttttttttt

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

I'll agree, that's HOT for Canada but if you want summer heat check out South Australia where 34 is COOL. Here we're heading into a brutal week with heat and humidity like a tropical rain forest, it's about to reach dangerous levels. The full moon just passed but your troubles are just beginning as we move into the hottest part of summer.

Since you Northerners aren't used to what we here in Jersey put up with every summer I'll let you slide but even one of your call-in radio hosts got fed up over you're whining about snow. I won't bore you with the full story but when you hear one screaming at callers with "Enough is enough people, it SNOWS in CANADAAAaaaAAA!" you can't help but laugh. Then last winter the Brits were all aghast at the 1/2" they got, maybe they should move to Canada, or better yet, Buffalo where people simply take that mess that comes in off the lake in stride.

Never mind the heat, THINK SNOW! It's mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter.

Napalm

1/2"? In some places it was pretty deep, but I must admit, over here we panic at the mere hint of snow, the country grinds to a halt.

It's stupid. Places like Sweden who have snow most of the year manage fine... Canada and parts of the US do too (unless it's REALLY bad).

Same with "leaves on the [railroad] line" in Autumn... We're never prepared for the seasons, and it always seems to take us by surprise :)

maalox

its getting hotter hear in nyc. but i think it might be lack of scanners.

SCPD

Heat wasn't really a concern until my damned igloo started melting. Let's not even talk about what happened to my snow shoes.

What we need to mellow everyone out is another one of those two or three day power failures. That'll bring back the love ;)

Radio1114

True,I definatley prefer this heat over the snow .It is quite a change so early for us. We are about a month ahead in the heat area for this summer. The global change(green house effect) I guess. I will just sit patiently till my new scanner arrives, then I will be able to listen to all the ambulaces etc.: )

John_M

It's been hot here too, in the 90's the past few days and high humidity. Tommorow it's supposed to be 95. Air Conditioner on 24/7. I went out today and the console of the car I could hardly touch. My inspection sticker also fell off probably do to the heat and I had to glue it back on.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi sweat hogs,

"What we need to mellow everyone out is another one of those two or three day power failures."

Wheelie, ya gotta be NUTS! Hey man, heat kills and a power failure can be deadly for thousands, just ask anyone who works in a hospital. Even when power stays on they take in so many it would boggle your mind and when it's off they're crippled, emergency backup can't power the entire facility and air conditioning which presents the heaviest load is the first to go. A couple of years ago the Point Pleasant feeder failed under overload conditions on one of the hottest days of the year and the water company not having backup the pumps failed. We couldn't even get a drink of water for hours under tropical rainforest conditions!

I hope you're kidding because having lived through several times without a breath of air blowing and no water I take things VERY seriously. Frankly I hope you experience something similar once in your life and you're attitude will change REAL quick.

"I will just sit patiently till my new scanner arrives, then I will be able to listen to all the ambulaces etc."

Wilf, you won't be hearing what WE'RE hearing already down this way. With temperatures expected to hit the century mark in a couple of days I expect the worst. Personally I'm not particularly worried, I'll just have to deal with it but those in the city are in for it, I expect to hear a lot of DOAs.

John, you give new meaning to the name Rottenchester. Just be glad you don't live downstate, south means hot.

Oh well, we all love to ***** and moan but we still have to deal with it, life goes on. Living at the shore gets interesting in this weather when everyone takes to the water, the marine frequencies are more fun than a barrell of monkeys. It kinda takes the edge off hearing the distress calls when they do something stupid and they usually do, still stupid funny is better than stupid dead.

THINK SNOW!

SCPD

Sorry, forgot the HAHA, LOL, :) JK, etc etc.

kb2vxa said:
Hi sweat hogs,

"What we need to mellow everyone out is another one of those two or three day power failures."

Wheelie, ya gotta be NUTS! Hey man, heat kills and a power failure can be deadly for thousands, just ask anyone who works in a hospital. Even when power stays on they take in so many it would boggle your mind and when it's off they're crippled, emergency backup can't power the entire facility and air conditioning which presents the heaviest load is the first to go. A couple of years ago the Point Pleasant feeder failed under overload conditions on one of the hottest days of the year and the water company not having backup the pumps failed. We couldn't even get a drink of water for hours under tropical rainforest conditions!

I hope you're kidding because having lived through several times without a breath of air blowing and no water I take things VERY seriously. Frankly I hope you experience something similar once in your life and you're attitude will change REAL quick.
Ya gotta know I am just having some fun. I don't think anybody wants to see what happened a couple years ago happen again. I'm fully aware of what happens in a hospital when the power goes. I've been on both the operations side responsible for the air conditioning and the patient side of things during such an event. Neither one is a pleasant experience. As for not having water. I'm on a well so no power, no water. After the "big one" in 2003 I had a 12Kw genny installed. No a/c but keeps the necessities humming...Wheelchair, scanner, fridge, pump. You know, the important stuff.

Won't really be no time at all before the lake will be froze solid and the foolhardy folk from Michigan will be out on it cutting holes and freezing...I mean fishing.

My outdoor thermometer is currently at 102 F. And I'm located about 1/2 mile from a lake.

John_M

kb2vxa Wrote:

Hi sweat hogs,

John, you give new meaning to the name Rottenchester. Just be glad you don't live downstate, south means hot.
Rottenchester. That name doesn't bother me. It is the murder capital of NYS. I live in Greece NY 12 miles out of the city, ranked 21st safest city in America. I do have a friend who lives in the city and there are some areas you just stay away from.

Status
Not open for further replies.