• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is it worth anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A couple of years ago, I was tearing down the old radio shack and under neath the futon couch in the shanty there was a pile of S 9 magazines and another pile of QSL cards.

My dad built his own Knight Kit radios and a uncle of mine had and sold a bunch of CB equipment.

There is still a Knight C 5600 CB radio up at dad's - AC / DC and a big box of brand new tubes and a SW meter.

I gave the one AC only 5600 CB away.

My dad's call letters was KNP 2516, but he couldn't transmit very far with a Knight Kit beam antenna, so I doubt if anyone ever heard of him.

N

N_Jay

A couple of years ago, I was tearing down the old radio shack and under neath the futon couch in the shanty there was a pile of S 9 magazines and another pile of QSL cards.

My dad built his own Knight Kit radios and a uncle of mine had and sold a bunch of CB equipment.

There is still a Knight C 5600 CB radio up at dad's - AC / DC and a big box of brand new tubes and a SW meter.

I gave the one AC only 5600 CB away.

My dad's call letters was KNP 2516, but he couldn't transmit very far with a Knight Kit beam antenna, so I doubt if anyone ever heard of him.

Someday it will be worth much more to you than the few $$ you might get now.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't really know - because when you grow up around this stuff, you kind of take it all for granted.

I had a neighbor that had a beam antenna and a big CB radio in the house before she died and the kids gave it all away.

I was looking at ebay and stuff and saw that the Knight Kit radio like my dads was selling for around $20 - but that it weighed about 20 lbs and that shipping might cost 3 times as much as the radio. Not that it was really worth anything when it was new. Probably only bought the durn thing because it was cheap! My dad's family was pretty tight!

I see ad's in the local newspaper from time to time - people looking for old tubes and old tube radios - but don't know how much they are offering or if it is even worth me calling those people and trying to bargain with them.

I threw away old tube test equipment and gave away old tube test equipment a long time ago.

I didn't know if there was someone out there that was looking for anything.

I'm not throwing anything away anymore.

Geesh, there is even a couple of tube radios out in the garage for a '55 Chevy and a '57 Chevy and on Ebay you can buy them for $20!

My dad paid $100 for one back in 57 - when he bought his used '55 Chevy.

That would be like $600 in today's money for a AM radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.