Is it worth buying a HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

overboost_t88

looking for something simple for my folks. I currently own a sds100 and I know my folks don't want to invest that much. I can program and set up on sentenel. I know this is a older radio but where they are located they will receive just about everything. They are located outside Topeka, KS. 400 NIB is it worth it?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As long as they are not in an area with simulcast issues, and have no need for DMR or NXDN, there's no reason to rule out the HP-2. I still use mine, as well as it's older brother, the HP-1. Both have performed flawlessly for years. The HP-2 is about the middle of the pack as far as sensitivity. For ease of operation, and a large, easily readable display, it's a good choice.

overboost_t88

Topeka is simulcast I think at some point, not sure they will listen to them much. Their closest tower/repeater I think is. Does that make sense?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Topeka is simulcast I think at some point, not sure they will listen to them much. Their closest tower/repeater I think is. Does that make sense?
You comment was that your folks "live outside of Topeka". The key is how far, and in what direction. There are a number of systems here in my area (DFW Metro) that have simulcast issues for scanner owners. However, I am not affected by them as I live outside their primary coverage area. Close enough to hear them, but far enough away that I don't get hammered with simulcast distortion. That likely will change late next year when Dallas (city) and Dallas County move from their Uhf Conventional (city) & Vhf-high (county) systems to a new P25 Phase II simulcast system that is currently being built. That's why I purchaed the SDS series scanners; not currently needed, but in preparation for the changeover.

The map of the simulcast locations for the Shawnee County system that Topeka is on is here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteFCCMap&siteId=22067
Here's the image:
1558497687599.png

Depending on your parents location relative to the tower sites, they may, or may not, have any issues. If you know someone with a digital scanner, other than the SDS100 that you have, you might ask to borrow it long enough to verify whether or not there was a simulcast issue at your parents location. If they are very close to one of the tower sites, that signal strength might override any distortion. But if they were near where 'Silver Lake' is labeled on the map, they'd be between several sites, of varying distances, which can be a problem. Your best bet, if possible, is to try a similar scanner (not the SDS series, which was intended to deal with simulcast) and see how it performs. Your other unknown (not mentioned in your first post) is whether they intend to use the HP-2 as a table top scanner, with an attached antenna, or if an external antenna of some kind would be used.

Since the Shawnee system, as well as the statewide KSICS system are both Phase I, you would not need to try a Phase 2 capable scanner at their location. I presume, if either system was projected to upgrade to Phase II, that this would be discussed down in the Kansas Regional forum.

overboost_t88

Thanks for the reply they would be using it mainly for desktop use in home. I will most likely upgrade from the stock antenna. I haven't heard of any upgrade in the area. I know there are departments that still don't have phase 1 or use the ksics system at all. I simply picked the hp2 becouse it's newer than hp1. They are close to the silver lake area so that's definitely a concern. Is there a sccaner you would recommend around the same price range (400usd) that doesn't have the simulcast issues known to the older uniden systems.

Thanks again!

overboost_t88

Just thought of something. Would I have the same simulcast issues if I only programed in one site to focus on. Add all my talk groups and focus on the one site?

Nasby

If the system is simulcast, you will likely have problems with any scanner except the SDS 100/200.

There's no way around it because the scanner won't receive just one site. It will be hit by many sites in the system because the sites all transmit at the same time, hence the term "simulcast."

overboost_t88

Now it makes sense, thank you for the reply.
I guess I never really understood what simulcast ment. I used to have a bcd436hp and never understood why I would miss transmissions. I would get the first half of a conversation and wouldn't receive the response. My guess is that's a simulcast issue.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
For easy-to-use and easy-to-read, the HP2 is, arguably, the best scanner out there. If simulcast or DMR is not an issue, that's the one to get. Otherwise, you're talking big bucks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply they would be using it mainly for desktop use in home. I will most likely upgrade from the stock antenna. I haven't heard of any upgrade in the area. I know there are departments that still don't have phase 1 or use the ksics system at all. I simply picked the hp2 becouse it's newer than hp1. They are close to the silver lake area so that's definitely a concern. Is there a sccaner you would recommend around the same price range (400usd) that doesn't have the simulcast issues known to the older uniden systems.

Thanks again!
Remember that Simulcast can be finicky and unpredictable. In some cases, where someone is having this issue, a move of a few feet can sometimes make all the difference in the world. Moving the scanner closer to, or away from a particular window might, or might not, help. Saw a recent comment from someone that was having simulcast issues, but in his case, colapsing the antenna (this was a base/mobile scanner which came with a telescoping antenna) and laying it down horizontal instead of vertical reduced the problem. No guarantee that something like that would work. But that's why I suggested that, if possible, you try to borrow another scanner (other than your SDS100) and see if it has problems at your parents' place. If you don't know someone else in the area, maybe ask that your thread be moved to the Kansas forum, and see if you can locate someone reasonably close. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.