Is it worth buying a Non Digital Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshg46

I was looking at buying me a pro-164 Rs scanner, but after doing some looking around it appears that alot of alabama police are making a move toward digital. Just wanting to get some imput on the subject from other people before I buy, Or just wait and try to get a digital scanner.

depends on what you want to hear,
but generally youll be better off with
a digital in hand..gives you cushion
for what may come along with possibilities
of finding p25 systems near you currently..

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
If your interest is in aircraft (civil or military) and/or marine, then a non-digital scanner is a nice cheap alternative.

trace1

Both, good answers above and not more really needs to be said.

Good luck and happy monitoring!

scanrfan

Digital Scanner

Best thing to do is look at the RR Database for the city(s), county(ies) where you live and/or work. If there are a number of digital systems, then a digital scanner would be the best buy. If there aren't any or only one or two systems (Public Service - City/County) then an analog scanner would do fine for the present. As has already been mentioned in this string - many Cities/Counties are in the process of moving to digital or will be sometime in the next year or two. I don't know if there is a requirement and deadline for all cities/county public service systems to switch to digital and what that deadline is. There may be someone on that will know for sure and can let you/everyone know what that deadline is.

jshg46

Thanks for the info, I think ill try to find a good deal on a digital unit.

trace1

Thanks for the info, I think ill try to find a good deal on a digital unit.

Probably a wise choice, that way you can still monitor the analog stuff and have fun with the digital too (as long as it is not encrypted).

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Also, if you travel a good deal, you may be traveling to areas that have digital systems in use.

I also like the multiple scan lists type feature that the high end digital scanners (like my PSR-500) have. It makes it much easier for traveling.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.