is it worth buying digital in next few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKolo

I am afraid we are going to have to pretty soon if we want to hear anything. Everybody is switching over.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Forget the next few years, buy one now. They can be found for as low as $100-150 for a used Pro-96.

Why knowingly miss out on so much?

Oh-well, just my .02

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Just keep your eyes open. If you are familiar enough, you can set up a "Google Alert" to watch for you.

Locally, the last 3 used 96's went for $125, $150, and $100 respectively.

You can also tend to find used 106's for between $200 and $250, but you have to be patient.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
"Used car" LOL :) They can be. Take your time, Test it out, and being a member you can search their posts to see if they "broke" it.

Just use the common sense you would use to buy anything used.

Oh, and if it's posted here, check out their seller feedback.

RIVERSMVP09

"Used car" LOL :) They can be. Take your time, Test it out, and being a member you can search their posts to see if they "broke" it.

Just use the common sense you would use to buy anything used.

Oh, and if it's posted here, check out their seller feedback.

true. Im gonna look at "refurbished" scanners too at least those come with limited warranty.

captclint

Mentor
each year theres less and less analog frequencies.
True, but it is also true that digital scanners improve capability and features at least every 2 years, and sometimes more often. It usually takes at least 2 years to bring on a new digital system. Unless you know of one or more that are definitely coming on line soon, then I would wait. As for used or refurb, all of TODAY's digital scanners will be available at good prices later as well. Don't forget there are digital systems available that can not be monitored YET. Some have just been made available (PSR 800), so it is risky to just buy digital for some unknown future system.

Last edited:

gambill1

I just bought my second digital gre 600 for 349.95 from univversal radio. This is the cheapest new one that i have seen.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I guess my opinion was based on how much digital there is in MI. Between; MPSCS, CBP, Fed., Prisons, Etc, Etc... BUT I should have asked where he was located, as that would be important.
If he did spend $200 on a used digital, it would work out to like .20-.25c a day over the two yr. period you mentioned.

Gambill1, you just missed the 106/197 RS sale for $299

Last edited:

digitalanalog

My exact way of thinking...

True, but it is also true that digital scanners improve capability and features at least every 2 years, and sometimes more often. It usually takes at least 2 years to bring on a new digital system. Unless you know of one or more that are definitely coming on line soon, then I would wait. As for used or refurb, all of TODAY's digital scanners will be available at good prices later as well. Don't forget there are digital systems available that can not be monitored YET. Some have just been made available (PSR 800), so it is risky to just buy digital for some unknown future system.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
A digital Scanner is a good investment, Fro those of us in the scanning hobby it only makes sense. But it depends on what you listen to. If you are into listening to public safety then it would be a good thing to get one. Soon the FCC is going to mandate that all public safety go digital in the up comming years, Just like they are pushing for the narrow band mandate, Now I know that the narrow banding has nothing to do with Digital vs Analog, But it is just an example of the changes that are happening, and will continue to happen. Digital scanners are good to have even if everything in public safety in your area is analog, If you travel or frequent other areas you can still use the scanner to track analog traffic in your home town, and yet also be able to listen to digital traffic where ever you go that may be digital. The price is always the issue, But for the radio market, Digital is going to be the main form of communications so long as departments have the funding to do so. And we all know that the whole funding side is a whole different topic in it's self. But in my opinion, If you listen to public safety communications, Save your pennies and get a good digital.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
In the future, more and more new systems will be developed that include encryption as a standard, built-in feature. In fact, they're available now. So I say update now and enjoy it while you still can.

chaser915

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what the "next couple years" will bring, but I can tell you I regret buying (2) digital scanners. I am in a remote county about 30 miles outside of Albany NY and cannot hear many of the Capital District signals. I bought these scanners only because our county public safety had added digital. After I purchased the 106 and 197, I found out my local county's digital signals are scrambled and I cannot listen. So, I have $600+ tied up in two radios that quite frankly, are no more useful than my Pro-95, Pro-97 or any of my other 30+ scanners.

So, my answer would be it depends on exactly where you are and also what you want to listen to. Each person's situation is more than likely different. For me, the investment was a major failure.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
If you found out they're scrambled, why not return them? Heck, if they are new, I'm sure you could find a buyer

But maybe I'm being a little to rational. It's more fun to complain.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't trying to be rude sir.

Simply stated, you could take a little time, and your problem would be resolved. Heck, the 106 is being listed at $399 again, meaning you could turn a profit, if nothing else.

But thank you for your impulsive answer. I hope you have a better night.

Status
Not open for further replies.