Is it worth fixing (Palomar Loop Antenna)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I have a Tecsun AN100 passive loop antenna that does not require any batteries, but I also have an old Palomar Active Antenna from years ago, the thing is there is a broken wire in the rotating part of the antenna that makes intermittent contact. So I'm wondering, will the Palomar antenna give much better results than the Tecsun? I'd hate to waste my time for nothing. It's been years since I used it, so I cannot compare the difference between the two.

ajo70mI.jpeg

pjxii

I once used a passive MW antenna similar to that Tecsun many years ago with a Kenwood R-1000. Did okay. Didn't get into using the ferrite loop sticks until a decade later.
What radio are you using it with? If it's a small portable then I'd stick with the Tecsun, but if you're going to use it with a more substantial legacy receiver the Palomar would be my choice. If you have a communication receiver which you can use off either internal batteries or has a DC input for an external battery you can get outside away from RFI with the Palomar and receiver, then the Palomar would shine!

MDScanFan

I am a fan of both antennas and for my uses I tend to pair them with desktop radios over small portables. I have not done a side by side comparison but I believe they exhibit similar performance. However, I prefer the Palomar over the Tecsun for its ease of use. I find it much easier to null out interference or unwanted stations with the rotating ferrite loop as opposed to rotating the entire Tecsun loop. Being able to null in elevation is a plus as well.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I used to have an older version of that same antenna. They used to have various HF loops for that unit. It worked OK for what it was - remember any indoor antenna is going to be a compromise. I would lose the adaptor and stick with a hi capacity 9v battery - much less chance of introducing noise via the power supply. Also if I recall correctly the battery drain is very low, so a batter would last a very long time

I assume you gave up on the balcony antenna design I gave you?

Mike

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I used to have an older version of that same antenna. They used to have various HF loops for that unit. It worked OK for what it was - remember any indoor antenna is going to be a compromise. I would lose the adaptor and stick with a hi capacity 9v battery - much less chance of introducing noise via the power supply. Also if I recall correctly the battery drain is very low, so a batter would last a very long time

I assume you gave up on the balcony antenna design I gave you?

Mike

Sadly I had to, I was on the balcony getting ready to start drilling holes to mount the wire retainers back in June and as luck would have it one of the old Biddy's was chatting with a members of the board outside and told me to stop. I'm still considering a redesign and epoxy adhesion method, but that will be for Shortwave, this is for MW.

You're probably right on the battery.