Is it worth it for a PRO106

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I live in Lake county and currently have a PRO 2096 digital desktop scanner and am wondering if I should get a 106, with them being on sale this week or is this a pre-discontinuation closeout price and the radio will be obsolete next year or so and join my Bearcat235xlt as a dust collector.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I live in Lake county and currently have a PRO 2096 digital desktop scanner and am wondering if I should get a 106, with them being on sale this week or is this a pre-discontinuation closeout price and the radio will be obsolete next year or so and join my Bearcat235xlt as a dust collector.

Simple answer: grab one at the lower price.

T-Santon

As long as you don't live right by a Nextel Tower, then YES...

As for me, I do live right next to a Nextel Site, and my Pro-96 (handheld version of the 2096) does MUCH better than my Pro-106 and my GRE PSR-800 when it comes to dealing with the interference...

However, anytime I leave the house, the Pro-96 stays at home. When it comes to features, memory, etc., the Pro-106 crushes the 96/2096.

T-Santon

Also forgot to mention that the new MARCS-Cuyahoga County P25 System is in the 700mhz band, and the 2096 cannot track a TRS in that band.

Eventually, they (along with Lake County) will be Phase-2 P25 (TDMA)....Neither the 2096 or the 106 will track TDMA, but I think it'll be several years before that becomes an issue.

Last edited:

Nasby

I was in the same boat about a year ago. I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade from my PRO-96. When the PRO-106 went on sale, I bought one. While I still love my PRO-96, the PRO-106 is a huge upgrade in features, performance, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.