Is it worth it to buy a digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I've been putting off buying a digital scanner for years because I incorrectly thought the price would eventually go down (the prices of all scanners seems to be going up).

I know that digital transmissions can be encrypted. My question is, are most digital transmissions encrypted, and thus worth the money compared to my GRE PSR-310?

EDIT: I just turned on the scanner after a long time and apparently I can pick up NJSP talkgroups still. Must've just not picked anything up the last time I used the scanner.

Thank you!

Last edited:

reconrider8

Digital encrypted? Some just depends on the area but majority no and IMO a digital scanner is a must in today's hobby since p25 is becoming a standard

n4yek

Hi,

I've been putting off buying a digital scanner for years because I incorrectly thought the price would eventually go down (the prices of all scanners seems to be going up).

I know that digital transmissions can be encrypted. My question is, are most digital transmissions encrypted, and thus worth the money compared to my GRE PSR-310?

I mainly want to listen to the NJ State Police Troop B again:

New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Thank you!
They aren't digital according to the link you provided, all you need is a trunk tracking scanner that covers 800 MHz. You can pick one of those up cheap compared to digital prices, even below $100 on ebay.

But, if they are using this system: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7021
Then you will need a digital scanner, and the database show no encryption on the North talkgroup.

Last edited:

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
They aren't digital according to the link you provided, all you need is a trunk tracking scanner that covers 800 MHz. You can pick one of those up cheap compared to digital prices, even below $100 on ebay.

But, if they are using this system: New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies
Then you will need a digital scanner, and the database show no encryption on the North talkgroup.

I just turned on the scanner after a long time and apparently I can pick up NJSP talkgroups still. Must've just not picked anything up the last time I used the scanner.

N8IAA

Hi,

I mainly want to listen to the NJ State Police Troop B again:

New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Thank you!

You will be able to hear the NJ State Police, Troop B, without a problem on the 310.
Until the new statewide system builds out, your analog TT will work well for you.
Regardless, of what Reconrider posted.
Larry

N8IAA

But, if they are using this system: New Jersey Interoperability Communications System (NJICS) Trunking System, Statewide, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

Danny, read his post again. He has a PSR-310:D
Larry

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
You will be able to hear the NJ State Police, Troop B, without a problem on the 310.
Until the new statewide system builds out, your analog TT will work well for you.
Regardless, of what Reconrider posted.
Larry

(I can - see my edit to the original post)

CanWoodsman

For encryption it will depend on where you are.
In Ontario there are still many digital transmissions that are not encrypted but for law enforcement in particular as new systems are brought on line most are going to encryption.

bailly2

for the most part its federal and public safety systems that are using p25. for pike county pennsylvania the only need for a digital p25 system is if you wanted to hear the pa air national guard air to ground and a helicopter rescue talkgroup, or maybe the state of new jersey's statewide p25 system which has alot of interesting talkgroups, but not every site carries all the talkgroups....although i am hearing talkgroups from north jersey on a site in central jersey. might have to deal with annoying simulcast distortion with the njics depending on your site. if the state of pennsylvania's opensky system is not encrypted might be better to get an opensky radio off ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.