Is it worth the upgrade Pro 96 to Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

susant

I have a Pro 96 handheld scanner and want to know if it is worth the upgrade to the Pro 106/

I am missing the program cable. Where can I get one of these?

Thank,
Susan

hoser147

I have both, I prefer the 106 over the 96 but both are good scanners used daily.Should be able to find one here on the board or Radio shack.Might want to hold off on upgrading though, RS usually comes out with some good sales between now and Black Friday.

Last edited:

susant

Pro 106

Is it hard to program the Pro 106? I had no problem programming the Pro 96.

Thanks
Susan

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The biggest difference in the Pro 106 is that you are not limited by the size of each channel bank as you are on the Pro 96. You also have twice as many channel groups. The Arc500 software works very well and should present few problems if you have used software for the Pro 96. The cable should be available at RS, or try eBay.

susant

RE: Pro 106

Thank you for everyone's input. I think I am going with the upgrade.

Susan

N1BHH

It is a good upgrade from the '96 to the '106, and one good thing is that with Win500 you can import your ,p96 files quite easily. I found a number of .p96 files and created a few .p500 files just to get used to the import feature.

InlandAZ

My Pro-96 actually receives a bit better than my Pro-106 (even though I've had the 106 realigned). About the only reason I upgraded was that one of the systems I monitor moved to 700MHz, and the 96 wont trunc track it.

My 197 out performs both of them.

Last edited:

susant

I just bought the Pro 106, I am totally lost. I tried loading the V-Scanner Folder to my area (12)
and I go thru the process and the scanner shows nothing enabled. I also purchased the scanning programming cable with software and the ARC 500 software is loaded on my computer, I upload and it does not transfer the information.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks,
Susan

TES

I just bought the Pro 106, I am totally lost. I tried loading the V-Scanner Folder to my area (12)
and I go thru the process and the scanner shows nothing enabled. I also purchased the scanning programming cable with software and the ARC 500 software is loaded on my computer, I upload and it does not transfer the information.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks,
Susan

Here's how I transitioned from the Pro-96 to the Pro-106:

• Download contents of Pro-96 to Win 96
  • Save downloaded data as .p96 file
  • Import .p96 file into Win 500
  • Upload data from Win 500 to Pro-106
This works well with the Win XX software - 30-day trial versions available at Don Starr's site.

Good luck!

Highpockets

susant,

If you try the idea posted by TES, and try Win500, here is a link to a Guide that will help with Win500. I know you said you have ARC500, I don't know if you registered it yet, but, Win500 does have a 30 day free trial. Also, after you use his method you can read the scanner with ARC500 (save it) and you'll be good to go.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

DonS

• Download contents of PRO-96 to Win500
  • Upload data from Win500 to PRO-106
Fixed it for you (not necessarily what you did, but the correct way to do it).

EDIT: PSREdit500 will do it, too.

Last edited:

susant

I am sorry to keep posting about this scanner, but I am still having problems programming it.
I am using the ARC 500 Butel Software and I have no problem downloading the files I want, then I attach my usb to computer and other end to scanner and info transfers. The problem is my scanner is continously
scanning and I have no V scanner folder or assigned banks, it also says stalker.

This scanner is so much harder to work with than the Pro 96, what am I doing wrong?
I also cannot transfer the files from previous scanner b/c I don't have the transfer cable.

Please help again,
Susan

SCPD

QRT
I wasnt planning to upgrade my scanner for awhile but I was browsing at a pawn shop at $200 bucks in mint condition...so of course I had to buy it. Very happy that I did. The pro 96 only has 10 scan banks, where as the 106 has 20. I scan a state wide system, and local systems as well. Having double the scan banks allows me to store much more information, and especially information that I rarely use. Audio is good, buttons work well, screens nice...no complaints!!

Highpockets

I am sorry to keep posting about this scanner, but I am still having problems programming it.
I am using the ARC 500 Butel Software and I have no problem downloading the files I want, then I attach my usb to computer and other end to scanner and info transfers. The problem is my scanner is continously
scanning and I have no V scanner folder or assigned banks, it also says stalker.

This scanner is so much harder to work with than the Pro 96, what am I doing wrong?
I also cannot transfer the files from previous scanner b/c I don't have the transfer cable.

Please help again,
Susan

The part of the cable that you plug into the PC/IF port on the scanner, are you leaving the little pig-tail on that end of the cable, if so, remove it, and try uploading it again.

susant

Pro 106

I don't have any pig tails attached.
I am about to give up on this, just dont understand what I am doin wrong.

Susan

Highpockets

I don't have any pig tails attached.

Susan

Maybe if you Zip Up the file that you are uploading to your scanner and attach it to a post here, someone with ARC500 will take a look at it and see if they can correct or see where you are going wrong. You should also let us know your location, in case looking at the database is necessary when working with your file.

I use Win500, but someone will look at it, I'm sure. :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

Susan

Maybe if you Zip Up the file that you are uploading to your scanner and attach it to a post here, someone with ARC500 will take a look at it and see if they can correct or see where you are going wrong. You should also let us know your location, in case looking at the database is necessary when working with your file.

I use Win500, but someone will look at it, I'm sure. :)
I'll have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.