Is it worth to get the 396t?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattybohhoe

i kno i kno u have seen a million of these posts, but now that i have the money inhand i can now get my scanner. but im realyl debating if im going to be able to grasp the capabilites of the scanner. im going to be doing mostly rail freqs. but at night and maybe sometimes on holidays im going to be doing apco45. and my whole state is slowly going to all digital. so am i going to undertand this scanner? any online tutorials?? thanks alot to all!!!

mancow

Database Admin
Don't know about Apco45 :wink: but it will do Apco25.

I say go ahead. It's alot easier than it seems and you will 100% capability of monitoring the new stuff that's coming on line.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Ya go ahead and purchase the 396, you will love it. I heard or read somewhere that Rail companies are switching to digital, is that true?
Take care

flyingbrick

I just picked one up on eBay. It is great! There are forums on radioreference and yahoo for both scanner and software help. I'll keep my PRO96 from RS for now though. I am trying hte ARC396PRO and the U_ASD software, it is set up different than the pro96 using win96.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

If you want to own the best hand held scanner on the market then just buy the 396.
If you don't need digital then get the 330.
In any case the 396 is by far the most feature rich and most capable radio available today.
I have many radios. On the whole the 396 does more than several combined.
I live in the Los Angeles area. Having 6000 memory channels has made all of the difference in the world.
Having the same agency set up 2 or 3 different ways is really cool.
Just get the radio. Heck if it doesnt work out for you just sell it off on the forums.
Good luck Yaesumofo

nattybohhoe

hahah ok i jus think ill have a problem with learning it. thats all. seems little complicated.thats all...

RISC777

Cooking in one hand for me is complicated.
The 396 is in the other hand "cake."

yaesumofo

You are right. It is complicated.
I recommend that you read the manual for a while. Then when you get the radio don't even think about plugging it into a computer. Nope. Just work with the radio, program it manually. play with the searches. program some custom searches. program a trunk system or two. Spend a week doing this and it will become second nature in no time.
If you just plug the thing into the computer and programme it, you will have no idea how it works.

Believe me use this radio by working with it, have the manual handy and just play. You can't break it. with a few key strokes you can completely zero it out to the way it came from the factory.
Just buy it and play with it you will know it sooner than you think.
Yaesumofo

nattybohhoe said:
haha ok i just think ill have a problem with learning it. that's all. seems little complicated.thats all...

kyguy

I would recommend the 996, unless you just want a portable (then go with the 396)! Either way; READ, READ the manual at least 5 times before turning it on!!! And then still keep it handy!!! Both are GREAT radios. Good Luck !!

nattybohhoe

im debating if im even going to be interested in the whole scanner world anyway.. seeems as if the reception isnt all too great in general... i could spend $550 on something else. but, im not sure. im also afraid im not going to be able to set up the apco and RR freqs. i really think im going to loose interest in ti with frustration... anyhelp or wisdom?

nattybohhoe

maybe its a sign not to get one lol. i was going to get one from crackofdawnpawn, but that didnt turn out well and then i was jus about to order one from universalradio. and the screen froze... hmm its mysterious alright, well atleast to me

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I like very much..... It has FTO I love that idea since now I don't have to buy a fire pager. I like the all the stuff on it tooke me a few days to figure out how to program the radio I got the software its easy and better less wear and tear on the keypad. One day I'll get the 996 might be sometime next year..... You will like it better then the pro96.

nattybohhoe

but what im saying is, am i going to b able to grasp it? i have never owned a scanner and im going to mostly be using it on RR freqs. but to me its always good to have an allaorund one. so i can so police and other transports aorund here...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Go for it.

nattybohhoe said:
but what im saying is, am i going to b able to grasp it? i have never owned a scanner and im going to mostly be using it on RR freqs. but to me its always good to have an allaorund one. so i can so police and other transports aorund here...
Can you: program radio stations in a car stereo (preset)?
Can you type excel files, cut and paste?

It's real easy and real fun. I have the 246T and its capabilities are amazing!
Enjoy!

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Here's been my approach

nattybohhoe said:
Do what I did today...

The UASD software is free to download from Uniden's website whether you own a 396T or not.
Like you I'm considering purchasing one (although I'm far from having the money on hand as yourself. :( )

But that can give you a feel for at least the software and how the scanner is configured. I agree with the others about playing with the radio first by hand before using the software and if and when I buy one, I'll do that myself.

But for now, playing with the software and reading the manual in pdf is IMO a great way to prepare for such a big purchase.
It's a challenge, yes, but that's the best part, I think.
Then again I've been scanning for the last 11 years but this 396T is a whole new world for me.

Realistically, any trunking scanner will be difficult to grasp at first especially if, as you say, you've never own a scanner before.
But give the hobby a shot...if you don't like it sell it to me for real cheap, lol :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.