Is LTR REception Capability That Big of a Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

In considering the tradeoffs between a RS Pro-97 (lower cost, does do LTR, doesn't do digital) vs. a RS Pro-96 (higher cost, does NOT do LTR, does do digital).... what do you think is the better way to go for someone new to scanning.

I'm trying to get something that will keep me interested for a while, a bit challenged, but also not get something that will result in me missing things of interest. LTR broadcasts are seemingly mostly private company users from what I can tell on the RR databases for Alameda and Contra Costa County. At the same time the Pro-97 seems doomed to some obsolence if any when more of Alameda County and possibly Co Co County move to digital. I suppose the BC396 (with its accompanying high price tag would be the answer to all this?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
If you like listening to the non-sense on business two-way radio LTR is a necessity. If you are like the rest of us (read: sane) then don't worry about lacking LTR.

-Wayne

khvfdff

I personally recommend the BCD396T. It is a great scanner while yes its high in price, it has more features than the other two ever thought about having. Like FTO if you have the pager codes for your area they will work with the 396. Again I totally recommend it.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'd recommend the PRO-96 for its simplicity and ease of use. Since we listen in the same area you won't be missing out on anything. I also have a 396 and spend most of my time using my 2096 (and 96).

If you need a zillion features and can tolerate digital decoding equal to or less than the quality of the 96 then go for the 396.

-Wayne

DaveH

wayne_h said:
If you like listening to the non-sense on business two-way radio LTR is a necessity. If you are like the rest of us (read: sane) then don't worry about lacking LTR.

-Wayne

Agreed, business radio can be rather boring a lot (or most) of the time. Up here,
LTR has become the mode of choice for special events ops, for anyone who's
into it. Many of these events were on Moto systems but seemed to have
migrated for some reason, presumably lower cost for giving up features they
didn't need. I don't know of the situation in CA.

Dave

wolter

khvfdff said:
I personally recommend the BCD396T Like FTO if you have the pager codes for your area they will work with the 396. Again I totally recommend it.
If I'm not mistaken, these pager tones are not used in Alameda and CoCo, so I don't think it'll be of use to you. Very few agencies in my area use this type of tone, so I never use the feature. I personally can't see tying up a $500 scanner for agencies whose sum I can count on one hand with digits left over.

And, I'm not too thrilled with the 396s digital decoding. While others have claimed it fine, I think its P16 3600 baud system abilities aren't very good. If you can hear Alameda, you'll probably be able to hear Marin also -- so this should concern you.

Last edited:

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
wayne_h said:

Wayne's crazy. Without monitoring the local LTR system, how would I know when my chicken and ribs are going to arrive when I order from the local restaurant delivery service? :wink:

The only real reason around here to get into LTR is for the challenge. The system owners license a TON of frequencies under dozens of names, and determining which freqs belong to which systems and what the LCNs are can be quite challenging.

If you live in an area with public safety trunking, you can challenge yourself with finding new talkgroups. No such "fun" here in the sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.