Is Michigan's Public Safety Communications System Phase I or II?

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
I'm VERY confused by all this. The RR Database says phase II, but from what I heard recently that the state uses phase I or most of the state uses phase I. So...what is it?

N8IAA

I'm VERY confused by all this. The RR Database says phase II, but from what I heard recently that the state uses phase I or most of the state uses phase I. So...what is it?
Have you looked at the database for the system??
Even though its Phase II, there are Phase I TGID's being used.
This is a question that should have been asked in the Michigan state forum.
Click on REPORT in the lower left hand corner and ask that it be moved there.
Please don't repost. Its a RR NO NO.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Actually the can and will depending on the radios affiliated at any given time, it will always following the lowest common format, one FDMA radio affiliated will bring the entire talkgroup down to Phase 1, if that radio leaves, the talkgroup can and wood resume Phase 2 operation. This is known as Dynamic Dual Mode provisioning.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
Actually the can and will depending on the radios affiliated at any given time, it will always following the lowest common format, one FDMA radio affiliated will bring the entire talkgroup down to Phase 1, if that radio leaves, the talkgroup can and wood resume Phase 2 operation. This is known as Dynamic Dual Mode provisioning.

Never heard of that. I was wrong. Learn something new everyday

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
The new Oakland County Simulcast is Phase II, the rest of the state uses Phase I.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The new Oakland County Simulcast is Phase II, the rest of the state uses Phase I.
The new Oakland simulcast is part of the larger MPSCS and is mostly going to be Phase 2 for talkgroups on this site, but it supports Dynamic Dual-Mode so it is actually Phase 1 and Phase 2 capable on a per talkgroup/affiliation basis. MPSCS is listed as Phase 2 because at any time in the future, after Oakland County is live, other sites in the system can transition to Phase 2 and likely will over the next few years…. Primarily today, the entire MPSCS is Phase 1 but shares a common band plan to support Phase 2 compliance and upgrade path.

Pr999

WRYF747
Premium Subscriber
The new Oakland simulcast is part of the larger MPSCS and is mostly going to be Phase 2 for talkgroups on this site, but it supports Dynamic Dual-Mode so it is actually Phase 1 and Phase 2 capable on a per talkgroup/affiliation basis. MPSCS is listed as Phase 2 because at any time in the future, after Oakland County is live, other sites in the system can transition to Phase 2 and likely will over the next few years…. Primarily today, the entire MPSCS is Phase 1 but shares a common band plan to support Phase 2 compliance and upgrade path.
The database shows Oakland county has their own system?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
As it should; that’s the old outgoing OpenSky system that is being replaced as they transition to MPSCS

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
As it should; that’s the old outgoing OpenSky system that is being replaced as they transition to MPSCS
I'm aware of that. I was replying to pr999 who was questioning why Oakland County was showing two systems. My post #11 explains all of that.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that iMonitor, my mistake.

I just don't understand what is so confusing about this migration to some folks. Everything related to how P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2 works is freely searchable in one's favorite search engine and clearly explains how Phase 1 to Phase 2 transitions work... Noting changes other than we have timeslots to distribute traffic in conjunction with frequencies at a site and subscriber terminal updates are required to support the TDMA protocol; many radios since 2010 timeframe already are capable to support this; only question is, did they purchase that flaschode/feature enhancement along the way to enable it. Legacy radios, pre-2010 are not likely to support Phase 2 or even be approved for use in modern Phase 2 systems anyhow, this would include radios such as ASTRO25 XTS/XTL series, Tait TP9100/TM9100 series, numerous L3Harris radios (just because Harris always has to be different), EF Johnson VP400, VP/VM600, VP/VM900 series, etc.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I just don't understand what is so confusing about this migration to some folks. Everything related to how P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2 works is freely searchable in one's favorite search engine and clearly explains how Phase 1 to Phase 2 transitions work... Noting changes other than we have timeslots to distribute traffic in conjunction with frequencies at a site and subscriber terminal updates are required to support the TDMA protocol; many radios since 2010 timeframe already are capable to support this; only question is, did they purchase that flaschode/feature enhancement along the way to enable it. Legacy radios, pre-2010 are not likely to support Phase 2 or even be approved for use in modern Phase 2 systems anyhow, this would include radios such as ASTRO25 XTS/XTL series, Tait TP9100/TM9100 series, numerous L3Harris radios (just because Harris always has to be different), EF Johnson VP400, VP/VM600, VP/VM900 series, etc.
No problem.

Oakland County always has to different too. That's what started this whole mess years ago. It was an extreamly poor decision on the part of Oakland County to go with Harris to begin with, especially when the majority of the state was P25. They had tons of problems with the system for many years.

dmchalmers

Maybe its that not everyone thats using this is a longtime member an has questions so they can learn like others already have?