• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is MURS Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScenicView

I was looking at getting some MURS handsets for campground / family use. I know there are only 5 channels even if you put in privacy codes. Is the MURS bandwith too crowded?

After reading some MURS threads here, it sounds like it could be more trouble than it's worth in terms of other entities feeling entitled to their channels. Also, kids are not going to be scanning to see if a frequency is in use before transmitting. Am I making it too complicated?

I have a GMRS license, but it sounds like MURS is what you want to have in the great outdoors.

Thoughts appreciated.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
MURS is not as commonly used as FRS/GMRS so I would think it would not be as crowded. Also in the typical area that campers might frequent there would be less chance running into businesses using MURS and causing interference. MURS is very short range. MURS should perform better in wide open spaces, fields, water etc. FRS/GMRS may perform a little better in an enviorment with trees but neither will do very well.

What kind of range are you hoping for?

Have considered C.B.? (Bring extra batteries)

Uniden PRO401HH

Cobra HHRT50

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I bought 5 Retevis Murs radios @ $15.00 each for my family to use on vacation. Range under normal conditions is much better than FRS, and they use rechargeable batteries that sell for about $6.00 for spares. See
for a review.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Some even go so far as to advertise 50 mile coverage blah blah blah. Reality check - line of sight for the most part. Although I purchased a pair of Uniden SX327s per UPMan's recommendation and they worked okay for a Caribbean cruise we took back in May. I have them with me now but we haven't used them at all on this vacation, mainly because we have not been apart for any length of time. I would recommend them for outdoor radios. They are built tough and good for about a mile or so.

ScenicView

MURS is not as commonly used as FRS/GMRS so I would think it would not be as crowded. Also in the typical area that campers might frequent there would be less chance running into businesses using MURS and causing interference. MURS is very short range. MURS should perform better in wide open spaces, fields, water etc. FRS/GMRS may perform a little better in an enviorment with trees but neither will do very well.

What kind of range are you hoping for?

Have considered C.B.? (Bring extra batteries)

Uniden PRO401HH

Cobra HHRT50

I was hoping for a good mile or two. I have a few GMRS handsets but the range isn’t there and the proprietary battery life is very short. I was reading that the MURS VHF would penetrate foliage better than the GMRS UHF.

If I stay with GMRS I would pick up the GMRS V1. If I go MURS, I would probably go with the MURS V1.

I haven’t used CB since I was a kid, but I seem to remember it being the very wild, Wild West.

ScenicView

I bought 5 Retevis Murs radios @ $15.00 each for my family to use on vacation. Range under normal conditions is much better than FRS, and they use rechargeable batteries that sell for about $6.00 for spares. See
for a review.

Thanks for the link!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Reality is line of sight plus obstructions.

Remember you'll have Wal mart Sam's clubs, other retail in murs depending where you are.

If you desire private good penetration line of sight get a DTR or DTL in the 900 mhz license free.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Reality is line of sight plus obstructions.

Remember you'll have Wal mart Sam's clubs, other retail in murs depending where you are.

If you desire private good penetration line of sight get a DTR or DTL in the 900 mhz license free.
The DTRs are good radios but your going to pay $260-$315 for a DTR radio. The Retevis is $55 for two.

ScenicView

How do DTR/DTL handsets do out in the woods or at campgrounds with trees and foliage? They sound like they are very strong in the city. Does 900 Mhz have a harder time with foliage and trees than with concrete and glass?

ScenicView

The DTRs are good radios but your going to pay $260-$315 for a DTR radio. The Retevis is $55 for two.
A huge price difference. Can I enter Privacy Codes on the RT27 from the handset or do I need to hook them up to a PC and program them in?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
How do DTR/DTL handsets do out in the woods or at campgrounds with trees and foliage? They sound like they are very strong in the city. Does 900 Mhz have a harder time with foliage and trees than with concrete and glass?

900 MHz is definitely going to suffer more in the woods and with foliage than MURS.

As far as being crowded, nobody uses MURS. Unless WalMart happens to have a company-sponsored camping trip at your campground, chances are you will never run into anybody on MURS. They are not as readily available or popular as FRS/GMRS. That's where you're going to find most people.

n1das

DLR, not DTL.

DTRs:

I have used my DTRs with my wife and friends of ours in lots of places indoors and outdoors and we've never noticed issue with trees/foliage reducing range compared to GMRS/FRS or MURS. They still outperform GMRS portables on simplex. There might be some effects of trees and foliage when several miles apart and not quite line of site and at the very fringe of coverage but not when in the local area of each other like you would be at a camp site. IMHO, trees/foliage should be a non-issue for on-site campground use. Obstructions such as hills whether on 900MHz, GMRS or MURS will end your coverage long before any measurable effect(s) of trees and foliage will. Any effects of trees and foliage are way down in the noise compared to other dominating factors such as hills and terrain. 900MHz coverage is much more line of site compared to VHF so you might want to stick with MURS for the campsite if dealing with hills.

MURS radios and GMRS/FRS bubble packs are cheap enough that you might want to try both and put them to the test at the campground site. That should help you decide whether MURS is worth it. Don't spend money on DTR or DLR radios unless you are already totally into them like myself and alcahuete are.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ScenicView

Great information, thanks! I have some Midland GMRS handsets and I have not been happy with range or battery life. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more than 1/4 mile at a campground.

It sounds like DLR would work well for camping and that I would probably use them elsewhere too. It also sounds like the 900 MHz frequency would do a better job making its way into an aluminum sided camper.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Retevis radios do require a computer and software to easily change PL or DPL. It took me about five minutes to do five radios. If you buy in larger quantities, the per unit price drops. I got 5 for a total of a few cents over $75.00.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Privacy codes, tones are just tones. If someone figures out the tone then there isn't privacy and anyone can hear regardless if in csq.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Great information, thanks! I have some Midland GMRS handsets and I have not been happy with range or battery life. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten more than 1/4 mile at a campground.

That's not an issue with GMRS, it's caused by the inefficient antennas and poor receivers of the consumer "bubble pack" radios.

GMRS can work well outdoors. You need quality (not cheap Chinese or consumer) radios with good antennas.

MURS can work well also, if you have good equipment and good antennas.

It sounds like DLR would work well for camping and that I would probably use them elsewhere too. It also sounds like the 900 MHz frequency would do a better job making its way into an aluminum sided camper.

Higher frequencies will penetrate structures better. Likely, though, you won't see coverage like you would with a similar power/antenna on a UHF or VHF radio.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was hoping for a good mile or two. I have a few GMRS handsets but the range isn’t there and the proprietary battery life is very short. I was reading that the MURS VHF would penetrate foliage better than the GMRS UHF.

If I stay with GMRS I would pick up the GMRS V1. If I go MURS, I would probably go with the MURS V1.

I haven’t used CB since I was a kid, but I seem to remember it being the very wild, Wild West.

A mile or two is possible out in the clear fields and over water. You can extend battery life by switching to low power when possible and keep the volume level as low as possible. Try to keep transmissions short. Keep spare batteries in a small belt pouch.

There was a thread going about a year ago where a guy wanted something very similar for him and his son when they go hunting in the woods. He tried just about everything. I suggested hand-held C.B.'s and they were they actually worked better than anything else he tried. As I recall he was averaging 1 to 1.5 miles in the woods. And yes, C.B. used to be pretty crazy but it's not as bad as it was in the 70's-80's. Some areas are dead quiet.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

As N1DAS mentioned, I'm a big fan of the DTR/DLR radios like he is. Depending on how many radios you need, they are definitely not going to be cheap. But you are going to get some very good performance. In some of my testing, I have gotten over 20 miles line of sight in the desert, flat terrain, with no obstructions. Don't for a minute think that's normal. I have the luxury of open, flat desert here with basically no obstructions, but under those same conditions, there is NO WAY a pair of MURS handhelds or GMRS handhelds will make that trip. I tried it. Epic fail. Going on a cruise? Full ship coverage with the DTR/DLRs is commonplace.

There's also something to be said for the crystal clear audio. No static at all, and if your radios are configured properly, you will never have to worry about interference from others, or people listening in on your conversations.

But again, all that said, you are not going to be spending $15/radio. They might do the job just fine for you.

MarkVee

In my neck of the woods (Michigan - Huron National Forest), MURS activity has significantly increased in recent years from hunting dog training/tracking collars that use it. About five years ago we had MURS to ourselves, now it's not uncommon (especially on weekends during non-Winter months) that some channels have near constant activity from the "ping" of the dog owner's handhelds and the GPS data burst response from the dog collars. Every 2 seconds, or close to that anyway, and they don't monitor if the channel is in use before transmitting (or the owner didn't enable that setting if it's even an option). Rarely on all five channels at the same time however, so there's that I suppose. YMMV, if you're not camping on or near public hunting lands it may not apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.