Is My Local Law Enforcement Encrypted

hz36t5

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to monitor my local law enforcement, fire and EMS.

Riverside Ohio
Beavercreek Ohio
Dayton Ohio East side

First off are all of these channels now encrypted?

If not is there a scanner I can buy that can be programmed to.monitor these services?

I currently have a BCD396XT

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Everyone you mentioned is on Ohio MARCS. Without going through individual agencies & talkgroups (there are many) I will tell you that all talkgroups listed as mode "DE" are fully encrypted. Mode "D" talkgroups are clear and can be listened to

Beavercreek Police for example: Dispatch is listed as clear. The rest of the talkgroups are fully encrypted

DECHEXModeAlpha TagDescriptionTag
201334ea5D29BVPDISBeavercreek Police DispatchLaw Dispatch
201364ea8DE29BVROP1Beavercreek Ops 1Law Tac
201464eb2DE29BVPDETBeavercreek Police DetectivesLaw Tac
201494eb5DE29BVPADMBeavercreek Police AdministrationLaw Talk

If not is there a scanner I can buy that can be programmed to.monitor these services?
My recommendation goes to the Uniden SDS100 to overcome simulcast distortion you'll more than likely encounter with Montgomery County and/or Greene Co Simul as both are heavily simulcast

Last edited:

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
Like Whiskey3JMC said these are all heavy simulcast distortion areas. You would need the Uniden SDS series scanners or the Unication G Series pagers. But it appears that these three areas are available on the online Broadcastify Calls Platform. As long as Huber Heights is still dispatching Riverside. That’s just another option that you can use to monitor your local area. But you have to be a premium RadioReference member to access this. $15 for a six month membership to try it out.

hz36t5

Premium Subscriber
Like Whiskey3JMC said these are all heavy simulcast distortion areas. You would need the Uniden SDS series scanners or the Unication G Series pagers. But it appears that these three areas are available on the online Broadcastify Calls Platform. As long as Huber Heights is still dispatching Riverside. That’s just another option that you can use to monitor your local area. But you have to be a premium RadioReference member to access this. $15 for a six month membership to try it out.
If I purchase member access is there a device you would recommend to purchase to listen? As opposed to a laptop with an external speaker or something similar?

GILLIG40

Premium Subscriber
You can use your cell phone. Just need an internet connection. I use a older iPhone 6 around my house using the Wi-Fi. My current iPhone when in my truck. It will not run in the background. So what ever you use you’ll have to adjust the screen display time out. iPhones can be set to never.

DanKC8PAE

Premium Subscriber
Beavercreek Police Primary is still in the clear. I was listening to them yesterday on my SDS 200.

DanKC8PAE

Premium Subscriber
All of the Greene and Montgomery County Law enforcement primary talk groups are in the clear. All of the Greene and Montgomery County Fire and EMS talk groups are in the clear. I would recommend that you go with a Uniden SDS radio because it is tuned perfectly to overcome simulcast distortion and you can scan both counties at the same time. With a G4 pager witch is also an excellent radio as it too is fine tuned to overcome the simulcast distortion it can only scan one county at a time. If you choose to purchase an SDS radio and you need help programing it I am in Greene County on the weekends and already have an excellent program already written for Greene and Montgomery Counties. I would be happy to sit down with you at a restaurant and customize the the program for your wants and needs. The only thing that I would charge is that you pick up the bill for a cup of coffee or an Ice tea. We could have you up and running in about 15 minutes. I also have a friend who can program G4 Pagers. I do not know what he would charge. He would also need advance notice to write your program. He programed my G4 for Butler County. I own a G4 pager, and an SDS 100 and two SDS 200's. I use those radio's on anything that simulcast distortion will play a roll in. Butler , Clermont, Clinton, Greene, Hamilton , Montgomery and Warren Counties in this area of Ohio will all have simulcast distortion issues.