Is my old analog scanner useful? New to this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

norkyanthony

Is my old analog scanner useful, if so, what frequencies do you know of for cleveland or surrounding areas? Anything can help. New to this hobby.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Is my old analog scanner useful, if so, what frequencies do you know of for cleveland or surrounding areas? Anything can help. New to this hobby.

Take a look here:

It looks like there are a couple P25 trunking systems in use for public safety in the area, but the database still has a LOT of analog conventional channels listed. Perhaps someone who lives in Cleveland will chime in and let you know how busy they are.

If you want to listen to everything that's monitorable (i.e. not encrypted) you're going to need a digital trunking scanner, preferably one that can handle simulcast.

norkyanthony

Take a look here:

It looks like there are a couple P25 trunking systems in use for public safety in the area, but the database still has a LOT of analog conventional channels listed. Perhaps someone who lives in Cleveland will chime in and let you know how busy they are.

If you want to listen to everything that's monitorable (i.e. not encrypted) you're going to need a digital trunking scanner, preferably one that can handle simulcast.
FM means analog right?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Also, if you're reasonably near the Lake, listen to the Marine frequencies, especially on a Saturday. Lots of coast guard traffic and fishermen talking in code describing where all the fish are biting.

Bob1955

Your Bearcat BC-800XLT was a decent base scanner around 1986 or so but it is NOT narrow banding complaint so that becomes a problem with entering frequencies now. I looked at City Of Cleveland and some you can listen to but others, this scanner won't enter the exact frequency and it is not trunking/digital either.
Take a look at the following base scanners: BCD-996P2(least expensive digital P.25/BCD-536HP which has zip code programing and is easy to set up. It also show you what you are listening too commonly referred to alpha tagging. The top of the line feature a color screen, true IQ circuitry for simulcasting which is the SDS-200. YouTube all of these units.
Hope this helped you out sir.

norkyanthony

Your Bearcat BC-800XLT was a decent base scanner around 1986 or so but it is NOT narrow banding complaint so that becomes a problem with entering frequencies now. I looked at City Of Cleveland and some you can listen to but others, this scanner won't enter the exact frequency and it is not trunking/digital either.
Take a look at the following base scanners: BCD-996P2(least expensive digital P.25/BCD-536HP which has zip code programing and is easy to set up. It also show you what you are listening too commonly referred to alpha tagging. The top of the line feature a color screen, true IQ circuitry for simulcasting which is the SDS-200. YouTube all of these units.
Hope this helped you out sir.
Will do. Thanks

Bob1955

What did you see that's narrowband?
Some parts of Cleveland area's. If you don't want to spend money on a digital scanner, then buy a Bearcat BCT-15X. They were around $125.00 on Amazon (3) months ago but have gone up to 184.77 but Bearcat Warehouse is $159.90(had (2) left today but they only ship free on digital scanners but no sales tax to Ohio, only Maryland residents. Call them at 877-568-7226 tomorrow and ask for Melissa/Paul.
Hope this helps you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.