• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

is my radio bricked?

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
i got my hands on an old XTL2500 with an M5 head, very standard... and had read online that i could use depot to put an XTL5000 codeplug it it for more channels, so i created said codeplug and push it into the radio... and didn't notice the codeplug i'd made is for a W3 control head.

now the radio is stuck in Maintenance Mode Remote Device - or Maintenance Mode Local Device when i plug in the programming cable.

when connected to the computer, it will not respond to any attempts for CPS to program it. pressing the home button 5 times does nothing, it will not enter service mode.

THE QUESTION: if i connect at PMLN4959A cable to the back and a W3 head, will it likely start and allow me to reprogram it?

if not, anyone have any suggestions?

clbsquared

Your only option at this point is to obtain a rear accessory programming cable. And write the correct codeplug to it. Assuming you used the software we shan’t speak of. If you didn’t , then follow the above instructions. Throw it away and get another one or find someone with the correct tools and know how and give it to them.

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
i need to make a rear programming cable to connect to the DB9 i have for my XTS... anyone know the pinout?

wgbecks

You'll have to restore the radio back to an XTL2500 until such time as you either modify your existing M5 to a 05 Control Head or that
you exchange the M5 for a 05 Control Head.

Building a programming cable to attach to the J2 Rear Accessory Connector is not difficult, but obtaining the correct pins and
crimp tool is more problematic. Nonetheless, here is a wiring diagram that provides both Serial RS-232 and USB options.

Note that you may need to include the Ignition sense lead as well for some applications.
XTL Series Program Cable.png

Last edited:

rjvalenta

Premium Subscriber
so i learned something through all this - and so... FIRST - thank you to everyone for your help.

through this i learned that if the radio thinks it has a W3 head, you can only program the radio from the rear J2 port.. which required me to use a staple to connect 14 & 15... then use the above pinout to connect a DB9 breakout box to back of the radio. a friend of mine had some J2 kits, but he is out of town, and i only needed this to work for the time it took to get the right code plug back in place, so i stripped a piece of cat5 and taped everything in place and got it to work.

again, THANK YOU to those who helped me learn something and get this fixed, i hope posting all this helps the next person who makes the same mistake.

IMG_6909a.jpg

a417

You know what also works quite well? The jumper wires that get used with breadboards. They fit snugly in the pins, and they don't require tape. The cheap packages are only several bucks for a hundred or so, and if you have a breadboard with a breakout for serial (like I have), you don't even need cabling for various serial based radios.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Remember that the head is an accessory and the brick needs to know what is attached. You are good from the rear until you figure out the front.