Is mysterious signal in Denver intercepting calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw2872

Ha! For the technically challenged 9news journalists... Just go ahead and replace the word "signals" in many portions of the story and replace it with "towers" or "receivers".

mm

See this link also

Cities scramble to upgrade

And this one for a possible deterrent to these sleaze balls who are blatantly ripping the constitution apart
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/620001568/jackpair-safeguard-your-phone-conversation

And why is the FCC not collecting some big revenue bucks from these illegal Cell phone jammers?

Seems to be more corruption and blatant lies with this administration to the level that maybe the FCC has been told to back off on this issue.

.-

..-
-.-.
-.-

Last edited:

dw2872

I doubt it is the NSA. They don't need towers. They tap in directly.

I am putting my money on foreign intelligence services (FIS). Many of these documented sites are near our stateside military bases. And probably our overseas ones too.

I would bet it is China. You should hear about all the mobile sites they have over there that even businesses use to spam their citizens with texts directly to their cell phones. And I know what their government is capable of doing.

FCC will hopefully get to the bottom of it. Any company (even foreign owned) can find someone that will lease their building rooftop to them for this kind if thing. This is normal operating procedure for cell phone companies so it is not even suspicious.

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Frankly it may be helpful if thousands of people randomly deploy stringray-like devices all around the Country, and probe/exploit/hack every possible vulnerability in the big cell networks until the telecom's decide to implement serious security.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Is mysterious signal in Denver intercepting calls?

I've heard that people can build these devices with a few SDR dongles and a small antenna...

I thought to intercept a cell phone signal you needed the cell phone ESN?

9Wants to Know has reported on the use of the Stingray device which mimics cell phone towers so law enforcement can track criminal suspects. The Stingray is about the size of a briefcase and can be turned on with the flip of a switch and used in a vehicle

Intercepting a cell phone call...WHY? To do so without a court order...is it not illegal?

To get a court order from a Judge, you have to write an affidavit with the facts as to why the Law Enforcement Officer(s) need the warrant?

I will not be specific, but it is already possible to track "suspects" with current "functional" cell phone towers ( Hint = 120 degrees ) as I understand. With current "Court TV" - "Cops" and Lawyer shows ( like Law & Order SVU & NCIS ) it is possible to understand.

People trying to install paranoia I believe.

FF - Medic !!!

mancow

Database Admin
What makes you think they aren't getting court orders?

Most of this can be done by subpoena, no warrant needed.

joeuser

The Wretched
I thought to intercept a cell phone signal you needed the cell phone ESN?

Intercepting a cell phone call...WHY? To do so without a court order...is it not illegal?

To get a court order from a Judge, you have to write an affidavit with the facts as to why the Law Enforcement Officer(s) need the warrant?

I will not be specific, but it is already possible to track "suspects" with current "functional" cell phone towers ( Hint = 120 degrees ) as I understand. With current "Court TV" - "Cops" and Lawyer shows ( like Law & Order SVU & NCIS ) it is possible to understand.

People trying to install paranoia I believe.

FF - Medic !!!

Not if you are posing as the insecure tower! Jam the 3 & 4 G signal, forces the phone to take the 2G signal - its brilliant!

That's what they said about the NSA gather phone calls, texts, & the like. Then Snowden shed the light. 9-11 put the military industrial complex into overdrive. Homeland security? Sounds like Motherland security to me.

I'll be over here wearing my tin foil hat & checking for black helicopters in whisper mode...

dw2872

Yes those Stringrays are awesome tools used to locate criminals, but those intercept towers the previous articles mention are intercepting our phone calls, data, and texts and piping them to the whovever owns the towers for storage and analytics. Not cool.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Why is this such a shock to people? We all know that WiFi gets hacked regularly, but what makes cell phones any different? The larger footprint of cellular vs. WiFi and widespread use by the public makes it an obvious target. Hacker conventions have been demonstrating cell phone monitoring for years. Expect the proliferation of tools that allow this monitoring to happen (by individuals as well as governments) as time goes on! *yawn*

Get out your tin foil hats everyone! :)

KF5YDR

Why is this such a shock to people? We all know that WiFi gets hacked regularly, but what makes cell phones any different? The larger footprint of cellular vs. WiFi and widespread use by the public makes it an obvious target. Hacker conventions have been demonstrating cell phone monitoring for years. Expect the proliferation of tools that allow this monitoring to happen (by individuals as well as governments) as time goes on! *yawn*

Get out your tin foil hats everyone! :)
Because hacking WiFi requires any old laptop and is not visually detectable, whereas a spoof mobile network cell requires tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment, possibly various licenses since this is spectrum the FCC actually cares about, and a structure that is large and plainly visible. Of course people find that more surprising.

This is like asking why people who know muggings happen would surprised that a civilian could steal a Ferrari out of police evidence lockup by signing it out with the desk sergeant. The two are on entirely different scales.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Fellas, fellas.... nothing to see here, move along.
If it's a true story, and not just something ESD came up with to sell their product, it's probably an entity from outside the country. If you pay attention to the many stories about the Chinese government efforts in cyber warfare, the idea that "someone" is setting up cell and data intercept points near military bases is not so far-fetched.
On the other hand... why hasn't the government shut them down? Maybe a conduit for mis-information? Interesting... Guess I'll turn off my phone when I drive past Buckley from now on.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
If you want a Crypto phone 500 like device without shelling out $3,800 check this app out for android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.darshak

I bet it get's taken down.

No worry about BS NSA crap here. Using an AES 256 bit encrypted VPN. :lol:

Here's two articles that talk about the Stingray. http://www.tuicool.com/articles/NzEzi2

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/1...ps-and-providers-use-to-track-your-every-move

Hackers have used those cell phone repeaters bought at Bestbuy and other vendors to listen in on calls too. Check out the service called Silent Circle.

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
IMO the "stingray" raises a number of frightening questions. We know virtually nothing about how it's implemented, the language of the orders/warrants authorizing the activity, the extent of the telecom's involvement, the scope of data/communications collected, the ability (if any) to "minimize" original collection to targeted accounts, whether it is even possible for anyone to "audit" any of this activity, etc etc.

If government officials are deploying these devices without the direct assistance of the Telecom, then presumably they are exploiting MASSIVE security flaws in the Telco's networks which could be exploited by anyone. My guess is the Teleco's want nothing to do with it, because they can later claim total ignorance of governmental conduct as well as their own security flaws. After all, there's no privacy violation if you don't know about it!

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to get too far in the weeds, but as an alternative to my other theory: there are some pretty big terrorist piranha out there looking to make a statement, and we've had them or their predecessors right here in Colorado for many years. If somebody is finally taking them seriously enough to listen in, I say go for it.
Either way, the aforementioned 3-letter agency's massive operation dwarfs a (so-far) single fake tower op by many orders of magnitude, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.