Is NYPD Finally going P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG7PBS

Okay I was on a website called OPENMHZ.Com. and one of the Feeds said listen be for NYPD goes Mix Mode. Any one know what going on thanks

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The NYPD will be going more than that.

The "Big E" will be in place within a year (if they didn't have so many radios, it could be done a lot sooner), and, frankly, it's about time.

Anyone who listened to NYC during the riots and looting taking place over the summer (and then some) knows that malicious interference was a lot more than just an annoyance, but a genuine hazard. The technology is there to prevent that in the future and there's no reason why they shouldn't incorporate it in their operations.

It's just a fact of life, at this point.

Those who think that "hobbyists" have some Constitutional right to monitor police frequencies unempeded are living in a dream world and better grow up and face the facts.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound

The "Big E" will be in place within a year (if they didn't have so many radios, it could be done a lot sooner), and, frankly, it's about time.

Anyone who listened to NYC during the riots and looting taking place over the summer (and then some) knows that malicious interference was a lot more than just an annoyance, but a genuine hazard. The technology is there to prevent that in the future and there's no reason why they shouldn't incorporate it in their operations.

Those who think that "hobbyists" have some Constitutional right to monitor police frequencies unempeded are living in a dream world and better grow up and face the facts.
Unfortunately, the big E is not a solution to stop malicious interference. RF is RF, doesn't matter what is done to the audio stream. But I get where you are coming from.

bberns22

Please tell us when the RFP for the proposed system was issued and which vendor has been selected to build it? We are all waiting anxiously for your reply...

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Please tell us when the RFP for the proposed system was issued and which vendor has been selected to build it? We are all waiting anxiously for your reply...

What he’s saying is factual. All of the new radios have duplicate zones of the original analog zones.. BUT, they’re in Secure P25. Tax ID is attached to each radio for accountability.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I think this has been in the works for quite a while and now were at the "flip the switch" phase. If they've been replacing base station since oh the last decade or more they more than likely already P25 capable and I know Ive heard the new issue radios over the last few years are P25, P949. Wiscomm had an old post of the P949 available in 2017. Anyone know when the last Vertex VX-537 was issued?

Last edited:

bberns22

The infrastructure to rollout a P25 systems is vastly more expansive than buying digital capable transceivers. I just did ULS search in the FCC database and the only pending application for NYPD specifies a conventional system. As of 2013, in their request to the FCC for a conversion waiver to 12.5kHZ, NYC had already spent $88MM on mostly analog equipment capable of narrow band transmissions.

I am unable to locate any information, either in the FCC ULS or NYC assets listings, that indicate a large investments for a P25 system. So again I am interested in seeing evidence that NYPD is near ready to go fully digital and encrypted.

MStep

Is FDNY planning on going to P25 also?

I seriously doubt that the FDNY with ever be anything but analog. Analog works very well for them, and there is little reason for the type of security that NYPD channels sometimes require.

In addition (and I think that I had mentioned this once before), the FDNY was badly bitten in the backside when they attempted to switch their handie-talkie operations from analog to non-encrypted digital. To my best recollection, I believe this occurred late 80's or early 90's. The results were (nearly) disasterous. Units were missing transmissions from other units just 100's of feet away, yet picking up radio traffic from units operating at different incidents half-a-mile away.

For the FDNY, this turned into a major fiasco.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You guys DO realize that there are "encryption" options available with analog voice, right? Voice inversion is one...
Voice inversion is garbage, and that's not what is going on with NYPD. They will be migrating their current analog conventional channels to P25 with AES. The infrastructure is largely already in place, and at this point so are most of the subscriber radios.

To the other guy asking about RFP's and whatnot...no one said anything about a "P25 system". Conventional P25 using the existing channels, not trunking.

Nothing being discussed or questioned in this thread is new...do a search of "NYPD P25" and you'll find other threads with factual information, as well as some info from outside sources, including the NYPD itself.

phillydjdan

A "system" can be defined many ways. I would call a vast network of conventional frequencies a system

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I just did ULS search in the FCC database and the only pending application for NYPD specifies a conventional system.
conventional analog or conventional digital? Did you look to see what emission designators were on the channels?
Because your statement of “conventional system” still can mean P25 digital.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A "system" can be defined many ways. I would call a vast network of conventional frequencies a system
Great, except that if you go back and read bberns22's posts, he is clearly distinguishing between a "P25 system" (i.e. trunking) vs "conventional system".

ff026

Feed Provider

No RFP needed, everything is done in-house by vendor trained technicians.

As stated conventional P25 with AES strapped encryption. 98% of the portables have been replaced, 75% of the control stations have been replaced.

The infrastructure has been in place for a few years.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
In addition (and I think that I had mentioned this once before), the FDNY was badly bitten in the backside when they attempted to switch their handie-talkie operations from analog to non-encrypted digital. To my best recollection, I believe this occurred late 80's or early 90's. The results were (nearly) disasterous. Units were missing transmissions from other units just 100's of feet away, yet picking up radio traffic from units operating at different incidents half-a-mile away.

For the FDNY, this turned into a major fiasco.

March, 2001

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The results were (nearly) disastrous.

That's true.

The scenario I remember was that there was a multiple-alarm fire in either Coney Island or Rockaway (I forget which). One of the responding units far out from the fire monitored a "Mayday" over his handie-talkie, but no one acknowledged it at the scene. That officer reported it via radio to the Borough Dispatcher, who notified the IC. It was confirmed that there was a "Mayday" called, but, fortunately, with no disastrous effects.

That was the end of digital radios for the FDNY.

Status
Not open for further replies.