Is Packet Radio dead in and near Longview, WA (other than one APRS frequency)?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Years ago I remember 145.090 as the local packet node frequency located in Goble, OR run by WA7SJN. Is Packet radio DEAD in and around Longview, WA other than one APRS frequency? Does anyone know if it changed to a different frequency? If so what? If not, what would be the nearest node one could possibly receive?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Okay, 144.930 N3EG and 144.790 KD7UQR both APRS nothing else THAT I COULD FIND local, and the pass of the ISS overhead was a bust, assuming I on was on the right frequency, my antenna was adequate and they were operating.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Good copy ISS

Well crud, (for me). 1st, I was on 145.800, must have been old information. 2nd, I doubt the antenna I'm using in the condo is up to par. I looked and it doesn't look like there will be a decent pass for a while, so I'll try another day. Thanks!

ISS Location.gif

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl between 4:05 and 4:15. I'm not counting on much though because my antenna in the condo sucks. Back when I was working the ISS back in the mid 90's to early 2000's I was using an 11 element Cushcraft beam on a rotor with elevation control. Now I'm stuck with a POS antenna in the window.

Locally the APRS stuff doesn't "do it" for me and the local packet node appears to be gone. In fact the guy that used to run the node appears to be a silent key.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
@PDXh0b0 During the specified time frame there was nothing visible above the noise floor on 145.825. There were two quick blips on 145.800 but I was not centered on that frequency, so I don't know what it was. My antenna situation here SuCKs!

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Big window? Could you tape/suction cup a wire moxon, wire dipole or wire j-pole to the window?
Screenshot (563).png

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Big window? Could you tape/suction cup a wire moxon, wire dipole or wire j-pole to the window?

Yes, those are possibilities, but aren't they usually quite narrow in coverage? I'm definitely going to have to come up with a better solution than what I currently have in my window. 90% of my monitoring is between 108 and 900 Mhz, with the majority of that in the 144-159 Mhz range. I'm going to need something wider which will give me a little extra on both sides.

A window solution would be the cheapest for my VHF-UHF, but if I have to I may even go the tripod route with an antenna on a pole outside and run coax into the condo. I'm going to take my time and research what would be the best.