Is Philly finally getting ready to roll out P25 phase II?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki1022

Premium Subscriber
Normally most PPD units seem to carry radios with 5XXXX IDs which are the XTS3000 or 5000s, while some higher-ranking officers or units with specific comms requirements seem to carry radios with a 6XXXXX (6-digit) ID. I am pretty sure the 6XXXXX radios are APX6000s.

Over the last week or two I am seeing MANY more 6XXXXX radio IDs from normal district cops who I assume would have no need for APX's dual/tri-band or other capabilities. Is PPD starting to assign APXs to everyone in anticipation of finally rolling over to phase-II P25 in the near future?? Say it ain't so!

Does anyone have any info about this? And please feel free to correct any of the above information if it's incorrect. Thanks.

DASFlies

All city departments are slowly having the XPS radios replaced with APX models. Not sure what the plan is as far as going to phase II, but rollout of the APX radios is in progress.

Ljay

Phase ii

No not even an issue they talk about no $$$$$$$

Yopu may have seen talk about Phase II but that was there wy of saying they went from astro to P 25 phase i or the change out from nextel freqs

Don;t hold your breath on them going to phase II in the next 10 years

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Well they're issuing APX portables but does anyone know if they will also be issuing mobiles for the vehicles at some point?

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Well they're issuing APX portables but does anyone know if they will also be issuing mobiles for the vehicles at some point?

Many big cities with reliable portable coverage don't routinely install mobiles in police patrol vehicles because of the cost involved and the frequency with which they rotate their fleets. Baltimore and New Orleans stand out.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
No not even an issue they talk about no $$$$$$$

Yopu may have seen talk about Phase II but that was there wy of saying they went from astro to P 25 phase i or the change out from nextel freqs

Don;t hold your breath on them going to phase II in the next 10 years

Truthfully, there isn't a lot of money involved. The system itself (base stations, core, controllers) are already Phase 2 ready. And the XTS portables are reaching the end of their supported life, so as they switch to APX radios, it's just "flipping a switch"

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Many big cities with reliable portable coverage don't routinely install mobiles in police patrol vehicles because of the cost involved and the frequency with which they rotate their fleets. Baltimore and New Orleans stand out.
Ok thought so.

Septa3371CSX1

For the record Philly is rolling out APX6000's which are single band and not the 7000 and 8000 models which can do 2 or more bands. I don't know what's in the programming template for any of their radios but I suspect all of the APX's are single band models.

Status
Not open for further replies.