Is scanning getting...kinda boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixwagen

Back in the day, it was possibly a little more exciting because you "could" hear all kinds of things that you were not supposed to (cell phones, onstar, cordless phones, etc). That who aspect to scanning is more or less gone. Good riddens, I guess.

Where you are is also more critical then when it is. Out here in West Texas, it is mindboggling dull, at least scanning-wise. Once I move out to some place that actually has something going on (other than polygamists getting busted), the excitement will be back. I mean monitoring an undercover drug bust operation is still better than 99% of the crap on TV.

rabidmoose57

Naked woman screaming.......

Things here are busy most of the time. My favorites are the complaints from officers in the field when they discover thier mdt's don't work and they've lost 5or6 reports they have to redo. The language gets rather colorful! Not to mention the " naked woman screaming" calls. We have a mental hospital here, and you can tell when the out paitent meds get changed. The rate of those odd sort of calls goes way up. Never really a dull moment!

gd9704

I must be lucky....lots of voice traffic here in Lake Co., Ohio......even the occasional undercover drug buy/bust! I do hear lots of "call me on my cell" for personal stuff, but for the most part, the radio is still pretty widely used for everything around here.........

davidbond21

I don't know, a lot of you are right about 90% of PD chatter being boring, but its worth it to hear the 10% of good stuff.

About a month and a half ago the local PD got called out by some gas station attendants who had observed 'a hispanic male masturbating into a vacuum cleaner.' While I was laughing about this and also and listening to how many officers were responding to this call, not even 30 seconds go by when dispatch announces that about a mile down the road from that gas station is a blue van with people having sex in it in a parking lot. About 2 officers peel off from that original call to go chase down the van. Neither were caught that night. Chalk up two for public lewdness.

Another tidbit that sticks out is someone calling 911 saying they had recognized somebody on Americas Most Wanted(nothing came of that either). I guess you just have to be on there listening or you don't know what you are missing out on.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I don't know, a lot of you are right about 90% of PD chatter being boring, but its worth it to hear the 10% of good stuff.

About a month and a half ago the local PD got called out by some gas station attendants who had observed 'a hispanic male masturbating into a vacuum cleaner.' While I was laughing about this and also and listening to how many officers were responding to this call, not even 30 seconds go by when dispatch announces that about a mile down the road from that gas station is a blue van with people having sex in it in a parking lot. About 2 officers peel off from that original call to go chase down the van. Neither were caught that night. Chalk up two for public lewdness.

Another tidbit that sticks out is someone calling 911 saying they had recognized somebody on Americas Most Wanted(nothing came of that either). I guess you just have to be on there listening or you don't know what you are missing out on.

So thats where my ex-girlfriend was!! lol

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber

Don't forget that man walking down southbound 35 in morning rush hour in his whitie tighties throwing rocks at cars- LOL. Drove right by him... and he didn't have "rocks" in his hands...

mikeydcg2003

Here in Iowa we are quite lucky. I live in the central part and everything is wide open for listneing. Most counties either run on a UHF/VHF System, Racom which is EDACS Wide, or Motorola Trunks, Such as westcom, Electronic Engineering to name a few. I have not heard of anything being encrypted as of this point. Some things are slowly moving to p25 such as DOT, Highway Helpers, and Car-CAr Chat with ISP. Most of the rural counties still use the dispatcher to verify plates and registrations so it's still good. Also the Ops channels here are still good for Special Events, and Car Chases(which is a rare occurance). I don't see my neck of the woods being without something good to listen to for a while to come.

A few weeks ago a guy was in his car parked next to a canal demanding to see his ex or he would kill himself. All of this after ramming vehicles and doing other crimes earlier. He kept putting the gun to his head and doing count-downs. The negotiator was going back and forth with the radio op and there were all sorts of units involved.

The whole time a SAU sniper was ready to shoot the gun out of his hand if the count-down got down to 1. Each time, the SAU boss was giving the countdown over the radio.

It was edge of the seat listening as they would get to four or three and then the guy put the gun down, and then did it all, over and over again.

The barricade situations where the guy wants to the cops to "come in and kill him" are great to listen to also, as the SAU squad deploys and takes over. You wait, wondering what you will hear next.

mrova

always something here

in central Va. As I'm typing, medflight is taking a motorcycle accident victim in to trauma hospital. It can be a bit boring with all the chatter, but when they go after a strongarm robbery suspect, chasing on foot, follow them toward a house, then clear the house and get the mean guys, why that gets pretty cool. Like somone said, keep it on long enough, and you just never know what's gonna happen.
sv

kc4wwu

Cell Phone conversations were o.k. I always enjoyed listening to cordless phones. You usually heard more interesting conversations, and most of the time, you found things out about your neighbors you never knew! hahaha... but since most people have the new 2.4/5.8 cordless phones, even that is a thing of the past.

raisindot

Gotta love the Char/Meck trs.
Open and in the clear.

Suzie, have you tried the I-CALL on your radio, sometimes good stuff happens there.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is I-CALL, and how does one activate it on a PSR500?

Suzie

Cell Phone conversations were o.k. I always enjoyed listening to cordless phones. You usually heard more interesting conversations, and most of the time, you found things out about your neighbors you never knew! hahaha... but since most people have the new 2.4/5.8 cordless phones, even that is a thing of the past.

I found out that my neighbor was running a phone sex line. It was pretty funny because she would be talking all sultry and dirty and getting into detail with whatever heavy breather, and then hang up and scream at the brats running around the house. She weighed about 300 pounds, as you might expect. 900 mhz NON spread spectrum were the BEST due to great range and clarity.

Cell phone calls really ran the spectrum though, you never knew what you would hear there. I believe it was the pro-2022 that you could clip one diode and away you went.

I found out that my neighbor....

lol, I know what you mean. I've (unintentionally...to a point :)) discovered all sorts of things about my neighbors. It's nice being a geek sometimes.

But to answer the original question, to me scanning is boring 'til you actually "scan", or I guess technically "search", for the unknown.

SCPD

QRT
How do you know what frequencies thephonesare on? If you have any off hand, list em! Thanks!!

Of course most of us will tell you we don't "really" listen to phone conversations, that would be illegal.

Secondly, nobody uses those old phones anymore that can be monitored, the new ones are spread spectrum and you can't hear the conversations. Times have changed. A similar situation exists with cellphones, you can't hear the new digital conversations.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Scanning sure wasn't boring today, eh Phoenix? DPS chased some knucklehead into Phoenix going 100+ and passing on the shoulder. Of course once the numbskull entered Phoenix's jurisdiction the DPS Lt terminated the pursuit and as a result the guy's still out there AFAIK... nice going. :roll: But it was fun while it lasted.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.