is the 996xt worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman846

ok im really looking at buying the 996xt real soon ,my question to everyone is it really worth all that money? i live in indiana (purdue country!)?? i have a bct8 now and can get a few things but not the safe-t network. i plan on useing pc control and buying a remote head to put it in the other room. im on the fire dept now but all i get is fire and limited ems. anyone is invited to help me with this!!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Really, no one can. It's up to you to decide whether the 996XT is worth it for your area. In fact, you're probably better off asking this question in the Indiana forum, where your needs for your area can be properly evaluated.

I'm unsure if the current remote head will interface correctly with the XT series of scanners - UPMan can answer this. 73 Mike

frankcastle

I have the BCD396XT and love it. It works very well on the SAFE-T system. I'm in Marshall County. You might want to consider the 396 instead of the 996. I like being able to take the scanner with me throughout the house or in the car rather than it being stuck on a desk somewhere. It will save you from having to buy a remote head too. My audio feed is done from my 396 as well.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
The 396XT and 996XT both work well with both the Tippecanoe County Public Safety system and West Lafayette SAFE-T.

N9WP

The "XT" and "T" scanners work great on the Indiana SAFE-T system...I'm currently streaming Boone, Hendricks and Clinton county on my own webpage with a 996t but once I have it sold, I'll have the 996xt providing the feed. Great radio's, well worth the money to me. And if you get one, I might have the files to help you program it depending where you are at in Indiana.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
And if you go to N9WP's web site, he has the most current FreeSCAN files for West Central Indiana, so you won't need to program your radio.

fireman846

ok great info then i really dont want a portable i might get my self in trouble. if i have a desk top sytle i wont take it with me. hey npwp if you still have that scanner i would like to buy it once i get my tax money back! im in tipp county. so not far from ya at all. i have listened to your feed i like it just wish it had my county on it to if i get it well have to meet up and show me how to provide a proper feed on here.?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
and as to weather its worth it or not depends on how badly you want to hear the digital talkgroups...

you could look for an older scanner (996T or older) and save some cash

Status
Not open for further replies.