Is the BC246T a digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I have the opportunity to buy the above scanner. I would like to know if it is a digital scanner? I have done some research but not quite sure what i am looking at. Thanks.

Also same question for a 785D. According to the Undien websirte it "requires the installation of the Apco 25 card". I take it then that it is not digital just need the card?

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No it isn't. In the Uniden world, the digital scanners are the 396XT, 996XT (current releases) and in the older releases, the 396T and 996T

73 Mike

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The BC785D w/o the digital card is not digital. With the digital card, it can receive P25 conventional channels and track Motorolay Type II systems and decode P25 voice channels on such systems. It cannot track P25 trunked systems.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
The BC785D w/o the digital card is not digital. With the digital card, it can receive P25 conventional channels and track Motorolay Type II systems and decode P25 voice channels on such systems. It cannot track P25 trunked systems.

Hummm...... conventional channels as in not 800mhz? Or do you mean it can't track the trunk but can still decode 800mhz digital? Sorry if I am making no sense, I can do some programming but this digital stuff still confuses me.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
To be more clear: P25 Trunked means 'true' all-P25 systems. A Motorola type II trunking system can have either analog, digital (P25), or both, and the 785D with card will track and decode audio for both analog and digital on those systems.

Most of the 'true' P25 systems are miltary 380-400 MHz stuff, though there are of course others around.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Beginning in around 2004 we stopped making digital an add-on option. Now, a trunked scanner is either analog or digital from the factory with no cards.

The digital equivalent of the BC246T was the BCD396T. Both have been replaced by newer models: BC346XT and BCD396XT respectively.

DJ88

Hummm...... conventional channels as in not 800mhz? Or do you mean it can't track the trunk but can still decode 800mhz digital? Sorry if I am making no sense, I can do some programming but this digital stuff still confuses me.

The problem with the 800 MHz systems, conventional and trunk, is that they are in the process of being rebanded. All 800 MHz frequencies in the 866 to 868 MHz range are are being dropped down 15 MHZ. In other words, as an example, frequency 866.6125 would become 851.6125. The 785 is able to receive all conventional 800 MHz frequencies after they have been rebanded. However, with 800 MHz trunk systems, it will not trunk track them unless the 4th digit after the decimal point in the frequencies end in a 5. If there are frequencies in the system that have a zero as the 4th digit after the decimal, it will not trunk track it after the rebanding. At least, this is the way it was explained to me.

As for it decoding 800 MHz P25 digital, it will decode the P25 digital on all 800 MHz conventional systems. It will trunk track and decode the P25 digital for Motorola 800 MHz trunk systems as long as the frequencies conform with what I posted above with reference to the rebanding.

If an 800 MHz trunk system that you want to listen to has not yet been rebanded, you will be able to trunk track it and decode the P25 digital.

I hope I didn't confuse you here, but if so, post and I or someone else will try ot help.

Last edited:

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
DJ88

Thanks for the info. So rebandding will require a reprogram once its all said and done? Great. As for the trunk tracking, I have had several scanner witht that function and I have NEVER been able to figure it out. Not alot of agencies in my area us it. The State Police are digital and I hear them fine but my scanner was already programmed with it when i bought it. I believe the are trunked.

DJ88

DJ88

Thanks for the info. So rebandding will require a reprogram once its all said and done? Great. As for the trunk tracking, I have had several scanner witht that function and I have NEVER been able to figure it out. Not alot of agencies in my area us it. The State Police are digital and I hear them fine but my scanner was already programmed with it when i bought it. I believe the are trunked.

Yes, you will have to program the new rebanded frequencies.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you have not done so already on the BC246T you'll need to update the firmware to the latest version. Then, you will need to set the system up as an 800 Custom system and put in the correct band plan.

DJ88

If you have not done so already on the BC246T you'll need to update the firmware to the latest version. Then, you will need to set the system up as an 800 Custom system and put in the correct band plan.

Dopey me forgot to mention that (whacking myself in the head). Hopefully he will return here and see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.