is the bct15 good for RR feqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattybohhoe

ok im sure u seen my posts about the bcd396t. and i dont think i wanan soend 550. on my first scanner. i bought a bct15 lastnight and a 2 meter ham band antenna for the RR feqs. what i was wondering if its good for the RR feqs. its got a nice display and looks good. the price was right
200 shipped. so i bought it. also i read on a website that the 2 meter ham band antenna is good for the RR feqs. does anyone else have any info or input about this? thanks alot.

also, is it true that a base scanner gets better signal than a mobil scanner?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, the BCT15 will pick up the railroad band. A 2 meter antenna is cut for the center of the band at about 146 MHz. Rail band is roughly 160-162 MHz, so the 2 meter antenna will work ok. The newer Uniden scanners with dynamic memory include the service search with the rail band and will show the channel numbers with the frequency and also include the UHf end of train frequencies used to send low power break pressure data.

nattybohhoe

hahaa this is my first scanner. so im arleady lost. do you know any good base antennas for Rr then? thanks alot. and also should i program the channels in myself so i can learn the scanner or use butel?

Al42

First decide how you want to program them - just randomly, or certain frequencies in certain banks? By company, use, etc.?

Then program some of tghem manually, so you get a feel for the scanner. I'd definitely get some software, so that once I had it programmed the way I liked it, I could do it again if I had to reset the scanner.

As far as antennas, try the 2 meter antenna. If it doesn't work well, you can always get another one. But, depending on what type it is (ground plane, Ringo), you may be able to tune it up to 160 MHz.

GrayWolfSA58

nattybohhoe said:
hahaa this is my first scanner. so im arleady lost. do you know any good base antennas for Rr then? thanks alot. and also should i program the channels in myself so i can learn the scanner or use butel?
scantenna.........

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Of course if you only wanted to listen to Rail frequencies, you could cut the 2 meter antenna down to than band, but as GreyWolf mentioned, a Scanntenna will work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.