Is The Future Of Digital Voice A Transceiver With A SIM Card Built Into It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
As I was talking with someone yesterday and thinking about Network Radios and Amateur Radio Hotspots, I can't help but wonder if the future for digital modes will be a transceiver with the functionality of a digital hot-spot built into it. Think about it, a dual-band HT or mobile that has cellular and wfi connectivity built into it. Use wifi or a SIM card for the service of your choice. You could have it menu-driven and select whatever talk-groups interest you, be they DMR, YSF, D-Star, NXDN or APCO P-25. It would still have traditional RF functionality built into it for simplex use.

And, for another one of my hobbies, which is ATVing, it would be a great device. Several of us that ATV together are hams. We could use 2 meter simplex, either analog or DMR, but be able to switch to a DMR, or other talk-group, if we get out of range of simplex.

Now that I give it some more thought, didn't some company advertise something pretty close to what I just described? I seem to recall an HT prototype, that was menu driven, had multiple digital modes, and was going to sell for $699. Does/didn't HRO take a $35 down-payment for those? Was it vaporware?

Could something like this be announced at Dayton soon? Or, will Dayton 2019 be a dud?

Update: I did find this. Is there, or was there, an HT announced, too?

DV4 DV4MOBILE Reservation

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Similar creatures already exist on the LMR side.

There are several manufactures that have P25 capable radios, including multi-band with LTE and WiFi capability. Voice traffic can fall back on LTE if out of range of the LMR system and route back to a gateway and back into the system. With WiFi, similar options are out there.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If my understanding is correct, I think Icom and Yaesu may have already done it. Both the Icom ID-51A Plus 2 and Yaesu FT-2DR can act as a hot spot when they are connected to a computer (which provides the IP connection to the Internet). Neither of these radios has a cellular modem in them so that's why they need to be connected to a computer.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As for the DV4 Mobile, Wireless Holdings is the developer of that unit and their web site says "Available in 2018". :unsure:

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Motorola has the TLK100, which is PTT over LTE on Verizon's network and MOTOTRBO NITRO which is a local private LTE system deployed in the 3.5Ghz band. Both require SIM cards, but rely on the WAVE-ON-CLOUD backend. TT

dazey77

There is the Hytera PDC760. DMR, WIFI, LTE. Connects natively to Brandmeister over the internet with no hotspot required.

Expensive right now though.

dazey77

Dunno what they cost in the US, over a grand in the UK (way more than I am prepared to pay)

dazey77

Have you also seen the Boxchip? S700A Cheaper but only 2W transmit. I think there is another Ham orientated version with 4w but I am struggling to recall where I saw it. . .

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Rfinder K1 has two SIM slots and can replace a regular cell phone. It is available in 2 meter or 440 DMR/analog versions and can run programs such as Zello, Team Speak, and Echolink. There are two PTT buttons, one for radio use and the other for digital services. It is not cheap, and also has all the functions of an Android phone, including a slot for a micro SD card. The customized operating systems lets the operator add analog or DMR ham repeaters (Brandmeister or other systems) without any software. DMR Smartphone RFinder K1 – Review And Demo – Android DMR UHF

byndhlptom

referencing original post, just a comment....

You do realize that where you probably are out ATV'g, there will be a small chance that it has Amateur repeater coverage, even less of a chance of WIFI or internet access. Cellular coverage may be better, but that's not a given.

So expecting that you will have a back up for simplex may not be a sure thing.....

$.02

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you very much for the replies. I must say that the Hytera PDC760 looks very good and the Rfinder H1B, !1 and K1 look great. I would love to see a dual-band version and have the price drop a bit. (Yes, I know, it is wishful thinking on my part.)

SlyFerret

Already exists in the commercial world, though I feel like it would miss the point of the amateur radio hobby when we start communicating primarily over WiFi and cellular networks.

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.