• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera Is the MD2017 true dual receive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TassieJay

Calling out to MD2017 owners, hope you can answer a question for a non-owner.
The MD2017 PCB is equipped with twin RF transceiver ICs, and so has the hardware to do true dual receive eg: receive two signals at the same time. But that doesn't mean the firmware supports this. Can a MD2017 owner confirm if the radio will hear two signals at the same time?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
You are not getting much help, so I'll add what little I know.

I had a DMR radio at the time the MD2017 came out and I was interested for my next purchase. A member of my club bought one so I watched over his shoulder so to speak. I don't recall the details, but he and the general ham community soon became disappointed in the MD2017. I recall the track-ball had some issues that was not well received/liked. I did not buy one!

I did a quick "MD2017 manual" search on Google and found many links that might be helpful. In the many links you might find what you are asking. I can't say that I have ever heard of it having true dual receive. If you find one to purchase, pay as little as you can.

Good Luck!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The MD2017 PCB is equipped with twin RF transceiver ICs, and so has the hardware to do true dual receive eg: receive two signals at the same time. But that doesn't mean the firmware supports this.
@TassieJay - If I recall correctly, the MD-2017 was the first (or one of the first) dual-band DMR radios. In search of an answer to your question, I've been reading sales descriptions and reviews, as well as watching several related videos.
Clearly, the radio has two VFOs, and I have read that - like most - it will auto-switch to the one receiving an active signal. But nowhere have I discovered any clear suggestion that the MD-2017 can receive two signals simultaneously. If it could, I would think that this would be at the top of any marketing/feature list.
I did discover, however, that the radio can accept only UHF frequencies in the upper VFO and only VHF frequencies in the lower VFO. Since this is an early dual-band model, and in the rush to bring a dual-band DMR radio to market, perhaps the designers used one transceiver IC for UHF and the other for VHF.

ke6gcv

I believe you can receive traffic on both sides but for sure you can't adjust individual volume. So... I wouldn't say it's true dual receive. You can, however, mute the unselected side if you have a button programmed for muting.

Keep in mind, you can only work the various buttons while the radio is not receiving any traffic. The moment it starts to receive and you can hear audio, the buttons are automatically locked until the radio is no longer receiving any traffic.

Hope that helps!

n2mci

The MD-2017 can listen at 2 channels at a time (A / B chan. member lists), but like a UV-5R, you can only hear one thing at a time based on which side comes active first. You can mute the non-selected side by hitting the "Back" button. It toggles the mute function.

The latest firmware fixes trying to use Buttons while the radio being active when the radio is receiving something. They also allow you to make each zones work independent of each other, so you don't have to program the same Channels you may want in each Channel Member list for each zone.

I haven't had a problem with the Ant Jack yet in 3 yrs of use. But I try and be careful about it.

I like the ability to turn off the radios TG filter, so any TG will come through even though it's not programmed in. It's nice to be able to list to a TG, by just adding the TG to your Hot Spot or at a Ham Fest listing for activity on simplex. This function is becoming more of the norm in newer radios. My Baofeng w/OPENGD77 firmware takes it up a notch in that it doesn't care about which TS or CC either.

I understand the MD-UV380 (new Dual band) has allot of the same features as the MD-2017, if I had my choice, I might pick the UV380 vs MD-2017 because of the better selection of accessories available for the orig. MD-380. However there is one less programmable button on the side of the UV380.

Hope this helps.

-Pete N2MCI

Last edited:

TassieJay

Thanks Pete.
So the MD2017 has the hardware to receive two signals simultaneously, but the firmware obviously doesn't take advantage of this. Very poor form, TYT.
But at least my curiosity is satisfied now!

N4KVE

Thanks Pete.
So the MD2017 has the hardware to receive two signals simultaneously, but the firmware obviously doesn't take advantage of this. Very poor form, TYT.
But at least my curiosity is satisfied now!
Here’s why. With the recent influx of CCR companies, while they can all build radios, they don’t have software designers. So there is basically one consulting company that writes the software for all of them. This is why the CPS is basically the same for all the different CCR’s, & why code plugs can be so easily shifted from one CCR, to another.

TassieJay

I suspected as much regarding firmware / software. Though I do know that Anytone are the exception to that rule - apart from PCB & retail packaging, the company is entirely vertically integrated, all done in-house. A rare thing, for any country or any company, these days.

n2mci

I don't know of any current Ham HT's that can receive 2 signals at the same time and there could be, I had one, the ICOM W2, and found it annoying when trying to talk on one band and other band comes up. Or having 2 audio streams coming out at the same time can be a bit much.

The Yaesu FT-8900 has an option to reduce audio by 10db of the Alt side of the radio when you either Transmitting or primary is receiving. But the speaker isn't next to Mic like on a HT.

Another Example, the UV-5R, when you have both side operational, you can accidentally switch channels by trying to transmit when the other side is active. I use this radio for listing to Fire dispatch on one side and the local FD or local rptr. on the other, so I know first hand this pit fall.

The MD-2017 kind of does this by default, but there are settings and with the latest firmware, it's much more usable and does not fall in to the condition of ending up on the wrong channel.

-Pete N2MCI

Ubbe

I would think that all dual band DMR radios have only one DSP that decodes the DMR signalling that switches between the two receivers. When one receiver have a DMR signal it is locked to that receiver until the DMR signal are lost and only then continues to dual watch the two receivers output for a DMR signal. So it would need dual DSP's to have simultanious reception from both receivers, and as noted it would in most cases be a very annoying mode and make the user interface problematic with TG selections and individual volume control and so on.

/Ubbe

N4KVE

I don't know of any current Ham HT's that can receive 2 signals at the same time and there could be, I had one, the ICOM W2, and found it annoying when trying to talk on one band and other band comes up.
I had that radio, & found that very distracting. When the W2 came out, my friend went to all the large ham fests, & was the guy who did the “mods” on the radios to extend the RX, & TX of radios as well as other things. I told him it was distracting to be transmitting on one band, & then receiving on the other. He studied the schematic, & figured out a way so that if the radio was transmitting, the speaker would be muted. It worked great. Later radios which could receive both bands at the same time came with that feature. His name is Mike, & he was known as Mod Mike.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
But that feature is great for satellite operation. If you can hear your own Tx then you know you've hit the bird.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't know of any current Ham HT's that can receive 2 signals at the same time...
Kenwood TH-D72, TH-D74, Yaesu FT-2D, FT-3D.

On the Kenwood's there's a "balance" adjustment that lets you bias the audio output between the two "sides" of the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.