Is the pit maneuver legal in this state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al95

The reason i'm asking among some of my friends say it is illegal in the state of Texas others say it is legal. If some can share a light in this.

They cant put a car into a ditch, but they're able to shoot the drivers. That's just stupid. Used to be you couldnt get away from the cops, now all you have to do is run and they cant chase you. Which is more dangerous to the general public: An hour long car chase or losing track of an armed psychopathic mass murderer for a few weeks or months?

JonL008

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand it either. Why on earth would you let your officers get trained in the PIT and not allow them to use it, when it could very well stop a chase after a few miles rather then letting it drag on for an hour. Why would you inact a policy that stops an officer from doing their job.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

More like liability and lawsuits, in a sue-happy society.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
There is no law against using PIT i nTX. Some agencies use it, others dont.

The law simply says officers can use ANY force which is reasonable and necessary to make an arrest up to and including deadly force. So its difference for every situation and every agency has their own policy.

So not its not 'against the law' in Texas.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Where I used to live (Iowa) it seemed like a chase would go on and on and on until a state trooper showed up, then they would use the PIT.

JonL008

Premium Subscriber
Where I used to live (Iowa) it seemed like a chase would go on and on and on until a state trooper showed up, then they would use the PIT.

Its probably exactly what Mk was saying about, insurance and liability. I know that TX DPS have used it and still do I believe, but most likely requiring a captain to approve it. I know here in HVILLE that actually PITTED someone a few months ago after failing to get them stop with spikes.

Montz816

Emergency Communications
Premium Subscriber
the law simply says officers can use any force which is reasonable and necessary to make / effect an arrest up to and including deadly force.

during my bpoc it was always said articulate articulate articulate... In the report if you able to articulate the reasoning and purpose of the force utilized to protect the public., but if while we are chasing a suspect and use the pit and cause an accident and cause injury to another not only would our department be in jeopardy of law suit but also me as a officer. I left law enforcement because of seeing too many good people and officers lose money and there badge because of someone who talks to a lawyer or a friend who thinks he's a lawyer.

What ever happened to the good old days of if you are trying to protect people from evil you are in the right now so many hoops and wondering if i get involved will i lose money or my badge.

Status
Not open for further replies.