Is the PRO-137 just marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

I was looking at the PRO-137 racing scanner the other day while I was waiting for something else and I noticed that it has the same number of channels and receives the same freq. range as my PRO-164 (25MHz - 1300MHz). Perhaps it isn't a trunking scanner, as is mine, especially at only $130. Even though, it obviously gets much more than the "racing band". Is it simply marketed to racing people, and if so, why can't is get only the narrow freq range for racing and have a lower price? Maybe the extra freq. capabilities are marketed as a bonus for the price!

Last edited:

CStarr59

The pro-137 is a fantastic scanner, it is promoted as a race scanner but it is much more than that. It does not do trunking work, but everything else it does superb. I've had mine for about a year now and it has served me well over that time. I erased all the race frequencies and loaded my own stuff that I like to listen to. The audio is loud and clear and it receives signals like a much more expensive scanner. It is a fantastic scanner deal especially when it goes on sale every so often.

cpsTN

The pro-137 is a fantastic scanner, it is promoted as a race scanner but it is much more than that. It does not do trunking work, but everything else it does superb. I've had mine for about a year now and it has served me well over that time. I erased all the race frequencies and loaded my own stuff that I like to listen to. The audio is loud and clear and it receives signals like a much more expensive scanner. It is a fantastic scanner deal especially when it goes on sale every so often.

What a good review. The larger city near me (pop 100k) in not trunked, but the city nearest me (pop 38k) IS. If that were not the case, I could have gotten the 137 also. To get the trunking (analog) I had to get the 164. Had I known of the 106 at the time, i would have gotten that one. It gets the digital trunked systems. Just out of curiousity, what are the race freqs or freq range that the 137 contains?

Last edited:

wb0wao

I picked one up when it went on sale recently for $80 and IMHO, that was about the best $80 I have spent in a while. I normally take it to work with me so I can keep up with what is going on. It is a very hot receiver and the main thing is the text tags - you normally don't see a scanner in this price range with them. The only drawback is the lack of CTCSS/DCS capability. If you don't need digital or trunking, this is not a bad choice.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.