Is the ProVoice or the NXDN upgrades useful for Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hera

Hello, I recently picked up a BCD436HP and paid for the DMR upgrade and am loving it. Are the ProVoice or NXDN upgrades useful in this area?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
EDACS (ProVoice) has been discontinued for a few years now and reached end of life. There aren't any EDACS systems near Toronto anymore , so don't bother with it. The few EDACS systems left in the database for Ontario don't require ProVoice.

Others might be able to speak to any NXDN items of interest - I haven't checked out many of the systems here that use it.

You can see what systems use NXDN by scrolling to the bottom of the Toronto Database page.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
NXDN is just as prevalent as DMR especially in the GTA. ProVoice on the other hand is pretty much dead. Chatham and Waterloo both switched from EDACS ProVoice/Analog to P25 systems earlier this year. OPG Nanticoke and an Ottawa area EDACS system appear to be the only two EDACS systems in the province left. As for NXDN, OnQ which is a wide area trunking system with lots of stuff to listen too! In addition to the malls and businesses that use NXDN. There are new NXDN systems being found all the time. Happy scanning!

gary123

I agree with VA3ADP. There is quite a bit of NXDN activity around the province. It just doesn't seem to have the high profile that DMR has. Anyone using Kenwood as their main radios will possibly be on NXDN. Rail is slowly migrating to NXDN.

mciupa

Database Admin
For Toronto specifically, if you would like to listen the brown Miller IMOS crash trucks on the 401, then OnQ uses NXDN. CN Tower operations also uses NXDN. I also listen to Rail traffic from McMillan Yard just north of Toronto.

Hera

As a newbie - generally speaking what systems are you listening to? I think I have down Toroto EMS FIRE and EMS.., also as I'm only about 6K away from Scarborough Town Centre, I get lots from there - but what other systems are you listening to? (I think systems is the right word???)

mciupa

Database Admin
FleetNet ( ten tower sites), Metrolinx, Toronto Emergency Services, MetroNET, Toronto City Services, Toronto Conventional page, Billy Bishop Airport, CN Rail, CP Rail, MaRS Centre, Etobicoke General Hospital, Peel Region, Air Canada, Toronto Pearson and Toronto Centre for aircraft, Brampton, York Region, Purolator, Univar, Apotex, Eaton Centre, Humber College - North, York University, U of T, OnQ, FleetConnect, FastNet, CN Tower, Ontario Place.

Add Marine to that list. I have been listening to two MAYDAY's on Marine Ch. 16 since 8 pm. One for a boat drifting into rocks near Toronto Islands and the second one for a sighting of a flare between Toronto and Port Credit Marina. The Port Credit call has Peel Marine 2 being assigned to Marine Ch. 26. I'm editting my post as fast as I can.

That's only the local stuff for me. I have a BCD 536HP, so sometimes I mine the Full Database in it for road trips or if I hear skip during good conditions.

Hera

FleetNet ( ten tower sites), Metrolinx, Toronto Emergency Services, MetroNET, Toronto City Services, Toronto Conventional page, Billy Bishop Airport, CN Rail, CP Rail, MaRS Centre, Etobicoke General Hospital, Peel Region, Air Canada, Toronto Pearson and Toronto Centre for aircraft, Brampton, York Region, Purolator, Univar, Apotex, Eaton Centre, Humber College - North, York University, U of T, OnQ, FleetConnect, FastNet, CN Tower, Ontario Place.

Add Marine to that list. I have been listening to two MAYDAY's on Marine Ch. 16 since 8 pm. One for a boat drifting into rocks near Toronto Islands and the second one for a sighting of a flare between Toronto and Port Credit Marina. The Port Credit call has Peel Marine 2 being assigned to Marine Ch. 26. I'm editting my post as fast as I can.

That's only the local stuff for me. I have a BCD 536HP, so sometimes I mine the Full Database in it for road trips or if I hear skip during good conditions.
Are you located centrally or are you running multiple tuned antenna's?

I'm around Lawrence and the DVP and have a Diamond discone currently about 15' off the ground. I'll be moving it to mast off my roof this week...about 30' up...hopefully that helps.

mciupa

Database Admin
NW Toronto (Rexdale) with one Scantenna ST-2 secured on a ten foot pole on my chimney. Raising the discone should help a lot. Give Niagara and WNY a shot once you are set up.

Hera

You have the Unicorn of Antenna's from what I've read, lol. Yep, I'm anxious to do get it up...I'm just not fond of shaky ladders...so I'm waiting for a friend to come help out. lol

mciupa

Database Admin
I hear ya. I'm okay climbing up and going on the roof, but dread stepping off the roof and back on to the ladder. I wish I had the TV antenna tower like my parent's had when I was a kid. I've learned to bungee the ladder to the eavestrough and I've seen roofers use some heavy duty S hooks to hold the ladder in place.

gary123

What! no safety harness? LOL. When I get to the top of a tower I tie a bungee around my neck that way if I fall I will snap right back up to the top :).

My antennas are a Diamond 130J, a Sinclair SRL C2 VHF, a Sinclair SRL C2 UHF 410 MHz, a 800 yagi that I point occasionally to get stuff of interest.
The Diamond is using 1/2 heliax to a 3-way RF splitter 2 legs of the splitter are connected to ARR amplifiers one for VHF (143) one for UHF (412). the third leg is a general purpose port used for aircraft, Low Band or systems of immediate interest. The dedicated VHF and UHF Sinclair antennas are connected to high end hardware for Amateur use.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
As a newbie - generally speaking what systems are you listening to? I think I have down Toroto EMS FIRE and EMS.., also as I'm only about 6K away from Scarborough Town Centre, I get lots from there - but what other systems are you listening to? (I think systems is the right word???)

You should be able to pick up Scarborough Town Centre no problem from your location. I also listen to the local malls in my area and they can be very interesting. Maybe you'll even come across some new channels for the mall.

Hera

Is there a place you all post if something interesting is happening? I know this forum has "Ontario Breaking News"...but the last post there is almost 2 weeks ago.

(I recently went up north and have a good antenna on my truck and it was so entertaining. I don't think I turned on the the radio or audible)

mciupa

Database Admin
As long as it doesn't involve surveillance locations or identification of individuals, you could post here in the Ontario forum. The concept of Breaking News is good but it's a matter of the right place, right time. The item usually is stale by the time people get around to reading about it.

I'm sure other members use the Conversation platform to advise one another of sensitive items to keep it out of the public domain.

gary123

If you are going to post "I heard this" posts I would trim out anything identifiable. As mciupa says a lot of the hey listen to 'TG 1 on Toronto' type of tips are passed via email or text messages to the specific person.

The main reason for this is so as not to stir the pot, or have someone call up the user and say "hey I'm listening to you and so are all these people. Look at what I heard". I have actually received that type of call and its variants over the years.
My all time favorite was "Can you give me the encryption keys so I can make sure your not following me around?". Got to love ANI-ALI.
How about this one. I have a scanner but I missed the start of the call can you tell me what's happening?

Anyway, generally speaking we want to preserve the hobby. The best way is to keep things general or time delayed so the specific source be it scanner/Facebook/rumor mill whatever, stays active.

Status
Not open for further replies.