• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is the remote control head PMLN7032A discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6ZNS

K1MES
Hi Everyone,

I have a Motorola XPR5550e (UHF). It works great. I also bought the remote control head for it, the Motorola PMLN7032A (check it out if you're unfamiliar with it, it has all controls and a display in the mic itself, allowing you to stow the radio unit anywhere you like.

When I received & installed it, it works great, but the red LED on the remote control head blinks constantly. I looked it up and it refers to a firmware mismatch between the radio firmware and the remote control head firmware. The way to resolve it is to have the latest firmware files installed on your computer, and run CPS to update the radio firmwares. I did this, and what it did was downgrade the radio firmware to R02.10.09.0001 & CP Version 15.05.10 which is lower than what the radio came with. Now, the error code is gone, but, some of the features don't work (specific to the new firmware).

Further, I got an error message from CPS saying "The Software Update Management policy enabled on this device has expired and is not entitled to be updated to the specified firmware version. Please contact Motorola Solutions sales representative for more information."

Yet one more thing: When I checked Motorola's accessory website, the remote control head is now listed as PMLN7131, where as mine is PMLN7032A.

Does anyone know how to decifer this situation? Is my control head discontinued? Could that be the firmware problem?

Thank you,

Mark
K1MES

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
The radio may already have a SUM license if it was manufactured during a very specific time period. You could try to recover the license. If that does not work, then you will have to purchase a SUM license from MOTO. TT

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Motorola, in the interest of keeping their money vacuuming current, have decided to charge for firmware above 2.10 (which is all 202x.x). So, in order to be able to upgrade your fw, you will have to be under warranty or have an active license agreemebt for that radio. Similar to Cisco or other tech vendor wanting money for software updates. FB

KK6ZNS

K1MES
Gosh that's frustrating (and, not surprising). Do you know if there is a way to determine (for any given radio product) what the highest firmware version is that anyone person or product is entitled to upgrade to? i.e. how would I find out what the highest version is that I can upgrade to? Thank you again, Mark K1MES

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
If you read the radio with CPS or RM, the SUM License Expiration should show when the radio SUM would expire, in the main tab of all the radio features/versions. This assumes that you have upgraded to 2.10 and then performed a license recovery OR that the radio has 2.10 or older and a valid SUM License. TT

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Gosh that's frustrating (and, not surprising). Do you know if there is a way to determine (for any given radio product) what the highest firmware version is that anyone person or product is entitled to upgrade to? i.e. how would I find out what the highest version is that I can upgrade to? Thank you again, Mark K1MES

This is exactly one of the reasons we all have been screaming at hams (assuming you're using this for ham use) to not upgrade to CPS 2. There are no advantages at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.