Is the RR database complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cram33

My town (Oakland NJ) is in the RR database and I programmed in the 2 police frequencies form it in my radio. Does that mean they are the frequencies the police use in my town? The radio comes with adverts for frequency list books and I don't know if they would have any more frequencies for my town's police.

qlajlu

Silent Key
n2mdk said:
Most likely the RR database is most up to date, you can ask in the NJ regional forum http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52
Or search the FCC database as well http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/engineering_search.cfm?accessible=NO
cram33, I'm not sure how active your people are on the RR.com forum in your area, but on the Utah Forum we have made it our purpose to find and identify as many talk groups and frequencies as possible. We have 30 radio systems in the area not counting the Feds. Most of our time is taken up identifying the UCAN trunking system (covers the whole state), the AC33 system which is Salt Lake City, and the Salt Lake International Airport (system 3521) since it belongs to SLC as well and handles some of the public safety communications and these are only the trunked systems. We have a couple of guys that are constantly monitoring, identifying, and updating the Db VHF/UHF systems as well.

I would tell anyone who asked me about which book to buy to get the frequencies in this area to keep their money and simply use the RR.com Db. Since we are constantly monitoring these systems I am sure the Db is more current than any book of frequencies.

I really think that this scenario would pretty much be the same in all areas of the country. Members everywhere seem to be helpful if you ask, too.

The Db will never be complete! Ever!

Last edited:

jon_k

In Tarrant County and Dallas County, I submit new conventional frequencies regularly. Other people seem to be maintaining the trunking systems with updates.

It's a system that MAY or MAY NOT be accurate. It depends on how many and how often people submit updates for a territory, and on the flipside how often municipalities/companies change their systems.

Tune the frequencies in, and hope you get activity!

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
jon_k is right, the information in the database is only as good as the submissions it receives. If no data gets submitted, it can't be up to date. So tune in those trunked systems and occasionally check the unidentified FCC listings to see who is using them, then submit the information to the database.

Mark

qlajlu

Silent Key
letarotor said:
jon_k is right, the information in the database is only as good as the submissions it receives. If no data gets submitted, it can't be up to date. So tune in those trunked systems and occasionally check the unidentified FCC listings to see who is using them, then submit the information to the database.

Mark
The OP of this thread had asked if the Db is complete. I submit that it will never be complete as long as members of RR.com continue to monitor their areas and submit changes to the Db. It is more up-to-date than any book, CD, or DVD you can buy with this information because books, CDs, and DVDs are out-of-date the instant they are sent in to the publisher. The Db is in a constant state of flux as corrections are submitted by members long after any static references (books, CDs, DVDs) are put out to market.

jon_k

qlajlu said:
The OP of this thread had asked if the Db is complete. I submit that it will never be complete as long as members of RR.com continue to monitor their areas and submit changes to the Db. It is more up-to-date than any book, CD, or DVD you can buy with this information because books, CDs, and DVDs are out-of-date the instant they are sent in to the publisher. The Db is in a constant state of flux as corrections are submitted by members long after any static references (books, CDs, DVDs) are put out to market.

Agreed here. Except for anyone to assume that this site is COMPLETE as in containing every frequency from every business/municipality would be foolish. I hope nobody would ever assume such from a website on the internet.

Frequency assignments change all the time, people get new frequencies, people stop using old ones. The internal-purpose for frequencies change, thus rendering descriptions here useless. Talk groups are added and removed. You can never expect this to be in a state of "complete", and even if it was it wouldn't last long.

The only database with the complete information for anyone (legally) using the radio spectrum is the FCC database. However, that does not include talkgroup ID's and has little more than vague descriptions for the use of a frequency.

People aren't going to submit data they seem unnecessary to this website. (For instance my municipality has data channels I've got an ID on. I don't intend to submit it, because it can only serve to clutter the pages.)

Do not assume this site has the correct information and all available frequencies in your area. This is user-submitted content, so some may even be submitted inaccurate. Some gets out of date, frequencies change, die, or re-purpose.

There are parts of the site that are complete as far as a trunked system goes, or a conventional frequency list for a business/municipality. It's just a question of how long it will stay accurate. Start scanning and IDing and submitting folks!

Last edited:

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Complete? You gotta be kidding!

RR is a fabulous resource but this is a hobby and there's a lot of spectrum to cover.

I've submitted 6 800 Mhz LTR systems in the past 2 months because I found them and they weren't in the dB. And what I submitted in several of the systems isn't complete because I didn't listen forever to capture all the TG's in detail.

Part of the fun of the hobby is finding what you want. Sometimes it's in the dB, sometimes it's in the dB but was wrong or incomplete, sometimes it's not there at all.

Many things (hobbies especially) are more satisfying if you have to work to get them.
Finding the freqs and TGs might be that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.