Is The SDS100 The Best Portable Scanner Money Can Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
To me the best scanner money can buy does not exist yet. I want one that I can push a button on, say what I want it to do... and it does it. Sadly I think my expiration date will be up way before that happens.
I absolutely detest Siri/Alexa and all those voice command things on any of my phones or devices. Your dream is quite literally my worst nightmare 😂

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I absolutely detest Siri/Alexa and all those voice command things on any of my phones or devices. Your dream is quite literally my worst nightmare 😂

I dunno...

ME: Scanner
Scanner: Beep
Me: Manual Mode, Tune 128.300, Volume 5, Set!
Scanner: Beep, Beep, Beep, Set!

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
It is the best...but an individual has to put forth the effort to learn not only the programming structure, but how to maximize it's performance. Too many times I see individuals go from excitement at purchase, to fearful once it arrives, to frustration as it's not functioning "like everyone else's", to "this scanner sucks", to bashing it in other forums. It's not like the previous models, but unless and individual puts forth the effort, it won't be the "best".

suzukigs750ez

I’ve been looking at this scanner as well. What are the odds they come out with a version two in the next year or so… since this one is 4 years old?

SKA999

I’ve been looking at this scanner as well. What are the odds they come out with a version two in the next year or so… since this one is 4 years old?
I corresponded with Joe, he said that they were supposed to present in March. But something did not work out for them ... And so far there is no information when new scanners will be available.

suzukigs750ez

I corresponded with Joe, he said that they were supposed to present in March. But something did not work out for them ... And so far there is no information when new scanners will be available.
So am I safer to hold off for now until then? It’s always my luck that I buy into tech and new stuff comes out the same month for the same price with better features lol

SKA999

So am I safer to hold off for now until then? It’s always my luck that I buy into tech and new stuff comes out the same month for the same price with better features lol
You're not the only one. I would have waited for the summer. :)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

Having been the victim of vaporware and rumors in my youth, I'm no longer willing to wait for, might be, could be, or possibly. I just say, "F-it" and buy it. Life is too short, enjoy it while you can.

MStep

Having been the victim of vaporware and rumors in my youth, I'm no longer willing to wait for, might be, could be, or possibly. I just say, "F-it" and buy it. Life is too short, enjoy it while you can.

And if you buy it from a reputable dealer, one who offers a 30 day return policy, you will not only have enough to time properly evaluate the unit for your particular use, but that will also provide a 30 day hedge against either a new product coming out, or that always-lurking "buyers-remorse" feeling that many of us get. You should know well within two weeks or so if you have made the right decision. Go for it.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I can almost guarantee you, a completely new scanner (from any manufacturer) will be both more expensive and have firmware bugs.

That's just a fact of life with communications gear, hobby and pro.

MisterK33

I can almost guarantee you, a completely new scanner (from any manufacturer) will be both more expensive and have firmware bugs.

That's just a fact of life with communications gear, hobby and pro.
Very, very true. I'm sooo close to pulling the trigger on a SDS-100 right now, but had misgivings about spending the money if something better comes out :LOL:

MStep

Very, very true. I'm sooo close to pulling the trigger on a SDS-100 right now, but had misgivings about spending the money if something better comes out :LOL:

I use several SDS100's the belong to a notification service that I work with. You are safe for now. Wait until I buy MY OWN SDS100--- that will be the week that it's discontinued for something new and exciting. ;)

There are many others in similar situations. The phenomenon of "buyer's remorse" is an interesting study. It's not just radios, it's cars, televisions, homes; it's those nagging having "second thoughts". If I see something I like, and especially if it comes with a 30 day return period, my philosophy is "Damn the torpedos--- full speed ahead!"

Your feeling is universal and has been discussed here many times--- see my post # 53 above. The SDS series has been out for appx 3 years--- they are finally true and time-tested. Any new radio will likely go through a 6 - 12 month period of uncertainty, production errors, complaints, recalls, etc.

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Any new radio will likely go through a 6 - 12 month period of uncertainty, production errors, complaints, recalls, etc.

It's not just the product, in my case it was the operator! I'm man enough to admit it took me a while to grasp it's capabilities and I probably would have picked it up faster if I had more free time (at the time) and I felt I could freely ask a question without the 'online stalker' waiting to pounce.

MStep

It's not just the product, in my case it was the operator! I'm man enough to admit it took me a while to grasp it's capabilities and I probably would have picked it up faster if I had more free time (at the time) and I felt I could freely ask a question without the 'online stalker' waiting to pounce.

Fortunately, I had experience with the x36 series, so it was a relatively easy process. But it takes time for most to transition from what were the prior generation of scanners to the current technology, which, by way of the more complex communications systems in use be agencies, require more complex listening devices.

As to that 'online stalker', there seem to be a few here, perhaps one more prominent than the others. I find their antics more of an amusement than an annoyance. It is their lot in life to enjoy the misfortunes of others, but as they sow, so shall they reap.

The SDS are fine radios. No one should have any reservation about taking one a 30 day test-drive.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I think it depends on how serious you are about the hobby. As long as something else does come out, it should be better. I mean GRE was moving right along for years ..... Whistler took over and had some products ...... the SDS came out while Paul was still alive. Now there's been virtually nothing, not even minor updates.

I look at it this way; I want/need to listen. Buy what's available and give it a shot. If there's something better, move to that and sell what you no longer will use. There are certainly pricier hobbys (think remodeling autos for example), and in the big scheme of things, we get what we pay for. If more people were buying, someone would be knocking down our doors to sell us that better mouse trap.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
There are certainly pricier hobbies (think remodeling autos for example), and in the big scheme of things, we get what we pay for.

That is so true! Once you get it, you own it and there is minimal to no expense afterwards, depending on if you buy accessories like stands, upgrades, chargers antennas or coax, but even then you reach the point where there is nothing else to buy. If you do buy the scanner with the belief something else/better will come out in two years, that breaks down to only about $27.00 bucks a month. That's cheap for any hobby, heck you cannot even eat out once a month at a restaurant for that, and you won't be flushing that money down the toilet within 24 hours either.

Status
Not open for further replies.