Is The SDS100 The Best Portable Scanner Money Can Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
My question would be, is this really the best I can get for my money?
For anything simulcast, yes. For analog & everything else, perhaps not. I have several receivers that put my SDS100 to shame on analog

Does that scan local Police, EMS and Fire and program it in for you, or is some manual programming still needed?
This depends. Not every area's police are monitorable (and sometimes fire & EMS). Check the database wherever you are to determine what is monitorable. Encryption is denoted in the database with an uppercase "E" in the "Mode" field (as in "DE" or "TE" for example)

garys

Premium Subscriber
You can have really good results using the GPS and built in database. The key is how you set it up, which doesn't require a tremendous amount of programming skill. As others have said, set the range to 5 miles. That will limit how far out the scanner will try to listen. Second, carefully select what Service Types you want to listen to. That will reduce the amount of extraneous radio traffic you will here. Third, and this might be different for different people, turn of the "Nationwide" lists.

I spend a lot of time programming for my local area and surrounding states. Once I'm out of the New England, I use the GPS and built in database for my listening. There are just too many radio systems out there to program all of them manually.

On a slightly different topic, are you sure that you want a portable scanner for use in a vehicle? While portability is nice, it can be a PITA to manipulate the controls and see the display while operating a vehicle. The SDS200 is a great scanner for mobile use.

Either way, for mobile scanning, you will need a vehicle mounted antenna and most likely will want an external speaker. Unless your wife doesn't want to listen, in which case I'd recommend a quality ear phone.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I used an SDS100 in our Fleetwood Bounder. I had the internal GPS modification done and the radio works PERFECT! As previously mentioned, you absolutely WILL need an outside antenna and an amplified speaker. With those two additions, the SDS100 will serve you well. Start thinking of a mounting system for the radio so you can have reasonable (and safe) availability of the screen and controls.

Instead of an just an amplified speaker, I went with a Sangean DAR-101 recorder, not only does it sound better than the built-in speaker, you can record hours upon hours of traffic (with 5 second gaps on playback), assuming you don't remove them via third-party software on a PC.

stevez97

Premium Subscriber
Instead of an just an amplified speaker, I went with a Sangean DAR-101 recorder, not only does it sound better than the built-in speaker, you can record hours upon hours of traffic (with 5 second gaps on playback), assuming you don't remove them via third-party software on a PC.

The SDS100 has on-board recording and playback. Are there additional recording features of some sort that the Sangean DAR-101 has?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
@stevez97

I can adjust the level on the Sangean to not trip on low level/volume signals if I choose, which usually translates to nearly unintelligible and unwanted traffic anyway. I make single files of an hour in length that usually comprise many hours of traffic when using the voice activation feature. I also use the Sangean on my Eton Elite Executive as well, so my procedure remains consistent for both radios.

I find it much easier to pop the SD card into my PC, and use the WavePad sound editor to remove the five seconds of silence between transmissions and then listen to the traffic after it's been processed.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
The first part of the video shows active recording. The last portion shows how I remove the silences between transmissions. The whole thing is only about 3 minutes in length.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is a terrific thread on the sds100. It's a shame the poster made one post on RadioReference on Thursday, came back early Friday afternoon and has never returned since to see all the great responses in the last 6 days.

We have been basically talking to each other :D:D:D.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think it's a stretch to say the SDS100 is the best portable scanner money can buy. It's about the only scanner marketed by Uniden that I never purchased and for good reason. It's been plagued with numerous problems since day one and it's still not clear today if they have all been officially addressed and resolved by Uniden.

While the SDS100 and the SDS200 were specifically designed to perform well with P25 digital simulcasts systems they are definitely not "the only product available" capable as natedawg1604 falsely claims. In some areas and some circumstances several Uniden scanners works great with simulcast systems. My two favorites are the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP hand held scanners. For numerous other uses they both perform overall better than the SDS series scanners. You can buy two of the BCD325P2's for what you'd pay for a SDS100, and for about $300 more you could buyt two of the BCD436's.

So a better approach might be to buy the scanner that best meets your individual needs rather than the one someone else thinks is "the best". You could end up with a scanner that actually performs better for what you're interested in and for a lot less money.

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
To me the best scanner money can buy does not exist yet. I want one that I can push a button on, say what I want it to do... and it does it. Sadly I think my expiration date will be up way before that happens.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I think it's a stretch to say the SDS100 is the best portable scanner money can buy. It's about the only scanner marketed by Uniden that I never purchased and for good reason. It's been plagued with numerous problems since day one and it's still not clear today if they have all been officially addressed and resolved by Uniden.

I can only speak for myself, but the only problems I've had with my SDS100 were all due to early operator error. There were just too damn many settings and adjustments to learn overnight. It's not like a mid 1980's scanner where you could open the box, toss the manual aside, and immediately start scanning... well you can if you use the Zip Code/Database, but you'll be scanning so much, you'll miss more than you'll hear. You HAVE to learn how to program use the favorites.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I guess that depends on what you're going to use it for. If for conventional, especially air band, you're correct in saying that. But if you're using it to monitor a simulcast system; there's no other scanner out there presently. Perhaps other "solutions". I've tried the models you mentioned, side by side, using the same antenna, with an SDS and the SDS won hands down. You simply don't know what you're not receiving.

We all must also remember that the person from Uniden who was largely responsible for getting this out there, and would have greatly improved on issues, is no longer with us. It shows how one capable and determined person can make a difference. RIP Paul (UPMan).

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It shows how one capable and determined person can make a difference. RIP Paul (UPMan).

For sure! That guy sure knew his stuff. I figure he must have lived, breathed and slept scanning. Coming up with all that stuff and getting it all to work together is mind blowing when you think about it. I had to learn to think differently when I first got that scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I guess that depends on what you're going to use it for. If for conventional, especially air band, you're correct in saying that. But if you're using it to monitor a simulcast system; there's no other scanner out there presently. Perhaps other "solutions". I've tried the models you mentioned, side by side, using the same antenna, with an SDS and the SDS won hands down. You simply don't know what you're not receiving.

We all must also remember that the person from Uniden who was largely responsible for getting this out there, and would have greatly improved on issues, is no longer with us. It shows how one capable and determined person can make a difference. RIP Paul (UPMan).

I've owned three SDS200's and compared them both side-by-side and for me at my home location performance was almost identical. If the 436 or 536 is currently stopped on an active frequency/talk-group, of course it would not receive a new or different signal on the SDS while it's still active on the previous one. Even two SDS's would have the same issue. When both radios were idle they would both receive the next active frequency/talk-group with no problem. Your mileage may differ.

NOTE: Both my 436 and 536 are current production and have the latest firmware. I also think they have the new chip-set which might contribute to the excellent performance.

There's no question that Paul Optiz (AKA: Upman) was an exceptional person/employee of Uniden. He had a unique interest, technikcal ability and understanding of the technology and knew how to exploit it to a new level above and beyond! He shared the same interest and enthusiam as all of us!

R.I.P Paul You are missed!

1650467367741.png

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
For sure! That guy sure knew his stuff. I figure he must have lived, breathed and slept scanning. Coming up with all that stuff and getting it all to work together is mind blowing when you think about it. I had to learn to think differently when I first got that scanner.
He is irreplaceable. He participated in the forums and got a lot of feedback, there was always theories that the radio was rushed into production because of a vendor accidentally making the SDS100 existence publicly known and whistler's announcing that they were coming out with a simulcast scanner only to announce a year later it wasn't happening. Nobody really knows if the radio was prematurely released. It was a rumor.

There was actually some serious problems with the radio when it first came out, I remember it didn't work on my tdma Phase 2 system, there were missed transmissions and clipping, also scanned through transmissions. It also had a very short battery life.

The radio was a work-in-progress and Paul would make firmware updates every week for a while. Slowed scanning down, got rid of housekeeping when scanning one site only, introduced filters and made other adjustments. Took care of my problem with my system and I no longer had to use a 2-second system hold time which didn't work well anyway..

As we know he had the big butt battery program giving every owner of the small battery, a big battery.

Using a carcass of an existing marine radio requiring the special water resistant antenna was always a bone of contention.

Paul took this to heart and worked as much as he could to address issues. He even wrote about some of his disappointment with the radio. No one knows what would have happened if he had more time.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber

While the SDS100 and the SDS200 were specifically designed to perform well with P25 digital simulcasts systems they are definitely not "the only product available" capable as natedawg1604 falsely claims. In some areas and some circumstances several Uniden scanners works great with simulcast systems. My two favorites are the BCD325P2 and BCD436HP hand held scanners. For numerous other uses they both perform overall better than the SDS series scanners. You can buy two of the BCD325P2's for what you'd pay for a SDS100, and for about $300 more you could buyt two of the BCD436's.

So a better approach might be to buy the scanner that best meets your individual needs rather than the one someone else thinks is "the best". You could end up with a scanner that actually performs better for what you're interested in and for a lot less money.
My reference point is Non-affiliate scan radios such as the Harris XG and P series and Moto XTS that work all the time for simulcast, you turn them on and they just work, no big issues with intermod, cell site interference etc. Those are definitely better than regular scanners, I didn't mention them earlier because they aren't an option for most people.

For me if you don't like the SDS, the only viable alternative is NAS radios or a unication.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
This is a terrific thread on the sds100. It's a shame the poster made one post on RadioReference on Thursday, came back early Friday afternoon and has never returned since to see all the great responses in the last 6 days.

We have been basically talking to each other :D:D:D.
Even if the OP doesn't return I rest assured that our wisdom & insight might benefit others here :cool:

Ubbe

To me the best scanner money can buy does not exist yet. I want one that I can push a button on, say what I want it to do... and it does it. Sadly I think my expiration date will be up way before that happens.
I'm sure it will happen very soon. They already have voice controlled GPS navigators, dash cameras and cars. Not to mention voice control of a lot of other household things using Google assistance and Alexa. "Scan only favorite one and two and set volume to ten on SDS-500" I think it's amazing when Google Nest manage to hear my commands while it plays music at full blast. "Google, add milk to my shopping list"

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.