Is the SDS200 that much better than the BCD996P2 for delaware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evnldr

What I am asking is there a difference in range performance in the SDS200, Will I get better service/reception?
Using a 301111 Wilson antenna 20ft and maybe 28ft LMR400,

Newark area. Thanks in advance.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What I am asking is there a difference in range performance in the SDS200, Will I get better service/reception?
Using a 301111 Wilson antenna 20ft and maybe 28ft LMR400,

Newark area. Thanks in advance.

Probably not unless you're experiencing distortion with a simulcast system.

Evnldr

I stick to the one repeater. Not that I would know what multicast distortion sounds like.
Not sure if there is any simulcast issues in Newark area.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I stick to the one repeater. Not that I would know what multicast distortion sounds like.
Not sure if there is any simulcast issues in Newark area.

Sometimes it just breaks up a lot or sounds like they're somewhat muffled or talking under water. The BCD996P2 is an excellent scanner and may work very well in your circumstances. Maybe someone in your area will advise you. Good luck!

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
When I returned from a 10 year absence from radio scanning, I started out with the BCD325P2. I was using the Remtronix 700/800 mhz antenna, and it worked fine with picking up both Kent and New Castle County Simulcast along with the NJSP South Simulcast from the Smyrna area. With the SDS100 and the Remtronix 700/800 mhz antenna for the SDS100, I continue to pick up the same sites from the State of Delaware and NJSP, and I am now able to pick-up distant sites from FIRST in Maryland and the Chester County system. I'm not an expert on the SDS series performance with outdoor antennas, but the SDS series has improved performance in the 700/800 mhz bands for me.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It's unlikely the SDS series will perform better on Delaware's current SmartZone system than a 996P2. However, the state will be replacing the current system with an Astro P25 system within the next two years or so, and the SDS will almost certainly perform better on this new system

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm just worried I spend for it and they go all encrypted on me.
I'd say it is likely that most law enforcement tgs will be encrypted. It is much easier to manage encryption on modern P25 systems, and DHS / DOJ encourages - but does NOT require - it when purchasing equipment with grant money.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If and when that happens you'll probably be able to sell it quickly and recover most of your investment.
Certainly with an SDS radio.

I need to refine my statement above. DHS / DOJ LEO grants require subscriber radios to support AES encryption, but it does not require the radios to actually employ the capability.

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
The day that I sold my BCD296D was when NCCPD went encrypted for all talk groups. I think I was frustrated that I couldn't monitor what was going on in my part of the county. Since I returned to scanning a year and a half ago, I found out that there was a lot more to monitor on the state system especially with several PD dispatches still in the clear. I also started monitoring neighboring states along with conventional and business systems. When I decided to pick-up the SDS100, I was hesitant originally to purchase it since I had just received the BCD325P2 from my kids for Christmas. Then I remember my last big purchase which was the 780XLT back in the days, and I cringed when digital started to become the norm just right after that purchase. Even though that was the case, I still took advantage of what I could monitor with my purchase, and it was probably the second best purchase after my SDS100. As I look at my SDS100, there is still much to listen to in Delaware, and I feel that this has been a great investment for me. I think you just need to look at your listening needs and determine whether there is much more that the SDS series can offer over the BCD996P2 for you. Just my personal opinion :)

cpetraglia

I'd say it is likely that most law enforcement tgs will be encrypted. It is much easier to manage encryption on modern P25 systems, and DHS / DOJ encourages - but does NOT require - it when purchasing equipment with grant money.
I guess I am lucky then. In the DC area most all systems went P25 starting 9 years ago. The only system that's fully encrypted is the DC Police. All other surrounding counties have stayed in the clear except for tac channels. I get 7 counties and cities all in the clear. I have been hearing that Fairfax TRS was going full encryption for 7-8 years. Never happened.

I guess I should knock on wood. I would also hope that with all the uprising going on now, most PDs aren't going to want to reduce their transparency now or any time in the future.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I would also hope that with all the uprising going on now, most PDs aren't going to want to reduce their transparency now or any time in the future.

That is a very optimistic way of looking at the potential effect of current events on the pace of migration to encryption. I hope you are right, and I certainly agree with you that law enforcement migration to encrypted radio communications plays in to the narratives about lack of transparency and militarization of local cops, among others. However, although I don't think of myself a cynic, as I've read about the Anonymous hackers taunting police in NY, Chicago and elsewhere on their own radio systems, and some riot organizers apparently 'tracking' police movements with scanner apps, my first thought was that current events would only hasten the march toward encryption of public safety radio communications. I certainly hope it ain't so.

I am not one to argue I'm 'entitled' to hear local law enforcement communications just because I paid for the system as a taxpayer (I paid my share for the toilet in the private restroom in the county judge's chambers too, but I don't feel entitled to enter and relieve myself there), but I do think allowing citizens to monitor local public safety radio systems on scanners is a good idea for a number of reasons.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I guess I am lucky then. In the DC area most all systems went P25 starting 9 years ago. The only system that's fully encrypted is the DC Police. All other surrounding counties have stayed in the clear except for tac channels. I get 7 counties and cities all in the clear. I have been hearing that Fairfax TRS was going full encryption for 7-8 years. Never happened.

I guess I should knock on wood. I would also hope that with all the uprising going on now, most PDs aren't going to want to reduce their transparency now or any time in the future.
Montgomery County has implied that their new system to be in place by the end of the year will be fully encrypted on the police side, according to a DC scanner club. Anne Arundel has not stated either way about their plans for their new system. Both these jurisdictions already have enc Tac channels. Several Eastern Shore counties that border Delaware have recently fully encrypted their police operations on the state's P25 system, while others that just installed their new systems have routine ops channels in the clear. We shall see how county execs in the DC area respond to the disturbances, could go either way.

cpetraglia

Montgomery County has implied that their new system to be in place by the end of the year will be fully encrypted on the police side, according to a DC scanner club. Anne Arundel has not stated either way about their plans for their new system. Both these jurisdictions already have enc Tac channels. Several Eastern Shore counties that border Delaware have recently fully encrypted their police operations on the state's P25 system, while others that just installed their new systems have routine ops channels in the clear. We shall see how county execs in the DC area respond to the disturbances, could go either way.
Yea, but I've been hearing Montgomery County was going to encrypt for years. Granted they are way behind upgrading their system. I heard the same thing for Loudoun, Prince William and PG Counties. Even Arlington and Alexandria are still in the clear.

I have no idea what has stopped them. Maybe something to do with being in a unique group surrounding DC.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Yea, but I've been hearing Montgomery County was going to encrypt for years. Granted they are way behind upgrading their system. I heard the same thing for Loudoun, Prince William and PG Counties. Even Arlington and Alexandria are still in the clear.

I have no idea what has stopped them. Maybe something to do with being in a unique group surrounding DC.
Note that the Natural Resources Police was initially fully enc, but reverted to enc only on Tac channels, a rare reversal. Apparently there were coordination problems with response partners. That said, with new P25 systems and appropriate system software and subscribers, enc is relatively simple to implement. That has no been the case in the past.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I have both the 996P2 and SDS200. The "distance of reception" is essentially the same. I can track Philly on either of them with my 13dB 800 Yagi, 20+miles from airport tx site.

Where the 200 shines is on the FIRST system which is a true Phase 2 system. (I'm just over the PA/DE line north of Talleyville) That's a 30 mile shot to MD and it usually does great with a 700Yagi if it is not too humid out.

The systems above are way far away from my location and just within reach. (2-3 bars usually)

NJICS,Chester County are easy of course but the 200 rocks these, 996 wants nothing to do with them due to the P2 multipath distortion mentioned earlier.

If you can swing it, future proof yourself with a 200.

I do enjoy the ease of operation of the 996 but love the bells and whistles of the 200. All that being said, you won't hear DSP any better on one or the other IMO and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.