Is the software worth it 396

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigSauer229

I have a 396 and I do ok with programming it with the software that was included. I was tooling around the other day looking for a recording program and came across some software here for my scanner. A basic and a pro version. Supposidly the pro version includes recording capabilities.
Can someone explain to me why I would want to buy this program. Is it better or easier to usa than the bearcat software that was included with my scanner? Does the recording program work through the serial cable? does it log conversations? There just wasn't any description next to it, and I'm wondering if it's better.
Thanks for all your help
BIll

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Some people like the ARC396 software better than Uniden's BCD396T_UASD. The ARC software, from Butel, does allow imports from the database here on RadioReference, if you become a Premium Subscriber. It will download the information on a trunked system & create the file needed to program the scanner, including frequencies & the talkgroups you select. The ARC software does have a free trial period, so you can see if that's what you want before you pull out the credit card.

If you'll look at the chart at the bottom of this page, it shows the differences between the Basic and Pro version. The biggest difference, as you note, is the recording & logging capability.

If your main interest is recording & logging software, try the freeware program Scannerbase AVC396 first. It does not do programming. But works well for recording, logging (both conventional & trunked systems) and online control. I've used it on both my 396 & my BR330T.

mnsrefer

Arc 396

I have only utilized the ARC (and not the Uniden) software.
I've glanced at the UASD several times, but cannot see how it compares.
Now that I have "woke up and smelled the coffee", utilizing the Beta 1.05 in (absolutely necessary) concert with a paying membership in this organization, being able to direct download and organize conventional as well as trunked, there is NO other way to search, categorize and utilize frequencies for this hobby.
Being an "old dog", this (BCD396T and ARC396) combination is simply sensational.
A real 21st century, high tech approach.
Regards;
Mike

cal516

AVC396 S/W with BCD996T ???

Has anyone tried using this S/W with the BCD996T ???

hiegtx said:
If your main interest is recording & logging software, try the freeware program Scannerbase AVC396 first. It does not do programming. But works well for recording, logging (both conventional & trunked systems) and online control. I've used it on both my 396 & my BR330T.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
For the 396t I am using ARC396 for the simple fact i am traveling across the country and being able to connect to the RR Database is an amazing feature that makes my life easier, instead of typing Databases out by hand, which can be very time consuming

the 396 Beta version allows you to download both conventional and trunked systems automatically but i am finding it to be slightly unstable, however when Gommert comes back from Holiday I am sure that it will be fixed.

Another One I have been Playing with is www.scannersoft.com 's ScanControl, The Remote feature on this one is alot Easier to use and I love the logging features.

RISC777

To cal516

cal516 said:
Has anyone tried using this S/W with the BCD996T ???

cal516,

Butel hasn't released yet the full, first release yet. If you pre-order you can most likely get the first 'beta release' software.

But, as usual from Butel, the beta I've been running shows that it is on par quality and feature wise as the ARC396.

I'm one individual that will always stick with Butel's software due to my liking of its features, layout, capabilities, familiarity, etc.

`Doug

edit: Once available, you can download both the Basic and Pro version for a 20 day trial period (and nothing is disabled in the trial software).

Status
Not open for further replies.