Is the Sony ICF-SC1PC obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alins

I am a beginner, never used a scanner before in my life, but have been a licensed Ham/shortwave listener for many many years ...

I am debating between the Sony ICF-SC1PC and the Uniden BR330T. I know one is not trunking and the other is; and there are other differences. But overall does the Sony have the edge over the Uniden in any area? (say, sensitivity, selectivity, ...).

What are the Sony's strong points, if any, in 2006?

Thanks very much for your time and help!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It is a cool receiver, has a collector value, but is a bit dated. I can't see any real advantage over the BR330T.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Sony ICF-SC1PC has no digital, or trunking capabilities, and that is a serious limitation for most people. It does however have WFM, which allows it to receive FM broadcast, and TV sound. Sony got out of the scanner radio business a long time ago.

It looks nice!

Last edited:

alins

DaveIN said:
Hmm... but the BR330T has WFM also.

Yes, I'm trying hard to see what are the advantages - if any - of the Sony over the BR330T (besides Sony's nice looks that is!).

trunker0205

I love the Sony it is a very unique scanner..there is one thing the Sony will do that not too many people are not aware of.The Wavehawk can be used as a communications reciever due to the fact you can program it to cover the 1Mhz to 30Mhz short wave bands.This is an added bonus and it works quite well. I am picking up WWV at 5-10-15Mhz with rubber duckie antenna,no to bad..

Attachments

• wavehawk_small.jpg
    wavehawk_small.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:

maalox

DaveIN said:
It is a cool receiver, has a collector value, but is a bit dated. I can't see any real advantage over the BR330T.
i have to agree .

VintageJon

Well, that's cool. WWV here is on a Philips 1960 table radio or another wideband receiver.
(Too many radios... Nah, you can't have too many radios!)

I think both my GRE/RS and Uniden/RS examples stop at 30MHz...

73's,
Jon

edweirdFL

I recently had my ICF-SC1PC out and was doing some service searches, on the Marine band. I found that it was very sensative compared to some of the other radios (Pro-90) I had on. The squelch operation is picky, but I think it's a decent radio.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.