Is the Uniden BCD325P2 a good second scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanhopkins

Depends on area and how their Network is set up. I lived by Uniden always my go to when getting a new scanner. But since my area went digital p25 not a single Uniden past 396xt has worked for me. I would maybe receive 30% of transmissions out of those 10% would be one sided either you hear the cop our the dispatch. So I had to stick with RS or Whistler scanners. They never let me down.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BCD325P2 is an excellent scanner depending on your location. All scanners except the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 have problems receiving P25 simulcast systems. The BCD325P2 is a good choice for a low priced scanner. What systems do you want to monitor? I see that Newark fire and a number of other fire and police departments are on the NJICS P25 Phase 2 trunked system. The Essex Co sheriff and Newark PD presently appear to be using conventional frequencies. Essex Co site of NJICS is a simulcast system. If you plan to use your scanner primarily in that area, I would highly suggest that you bite the bullet and go to the SDS100.

voyger522

looking to get a second scanner for i can take to different locations not to expensive any help and info
thanks
I bought one then got another.recieves our M.A.R.C.S system here in Muskingum county ohio better than both my 436/536 does.no missed traffic.

milcom_chaser

We have one. Great audio, especially if you upgrade to the latest firmware version. The display is bigger, easier to read. Very portable, and when in a pinch, the Dollar Store has 3 AA battery packs for a dollar (the radio only needs 2 AA's to power it). Work horse, grab n go radio.

digiman5060

i am in the Essex county area of NJ and listen to just a choice of departments both in Essex county and Passaic county is there any other radio portable that I can purchase that is not to expensive and easy to program

tvengr

Well Known Member
Any other P25 Phase 2 handhelds available have the nationwide database and cost considerably more. If you plan on using the scanner in your local area only, the database is of no use to you. Eliminating the SD card is also a plus. SD cards have a tendency to fail. For the money, I don't think you will find a better scanner. I have a 325P2 and like it. Just for your consideration, I have problems with the Baltimore Co MD simulcast system with all of my scanners including the 325, except for the SDS100 and SDS200 which perform flawlessly. Your scanner may work just fine depending on your location in relation to the simulcast sites.

seth21w

I have never been a fan of the 325 but that's because it will not receive anything on the Harris lsm system and the buttons wear off quickly and only 2 batteries. I would just spend 80 more dollars and get a 436 much more capable imo.

richardrosa

looking to get a second scanner for i can take to different locations not to expensive any help and info
thanks
I've owned a BCD325P2 for a couple of years.
In general, I am very pleased with this unit.

Some observations to help with your purchase decision:

Uniden does a GREAT job of documenting the interface for their radios.
As a result, almost ALL of the available scanner programming software works with the BCD325P2.
In addition, if you desire (as I do), you can 'roll-your-own' using the available spec sheets.
Also, the interface is a standard USB-mini connection. No special cable need for communications.

This radio uses the 'dynamic' model, Meaning that you make the best use of memory.
Any system in the radio only uses the exact number of memory 'channels' needed for a specific service.
This makes a BIG difference when your area to program has a large number of trunked systems.
I do a lot of traveling and have programmed a good portion of the trunked systems in the US,
and have not yet filled up the available memory..

The BCD325P2 supports most of the major trunking systems (Motorola/EDACS/etc).
It does a pretty good job of managing the EDACS & DMR trunked systems in my locale.
The radio also does a great job of decoding P25 & DMR (non-encrypted) modulation modes.
The radio also supports EDACS ProVoice.
However I did not enable this feature so I cannot report on how well it works.

Unfortunately, NXDN is not currently supported on this radio.
Most of the digital transmissions in my area (Hudson Valley of NY State) are DMR,
so this is a minor point for me. Check to see what your area (or where you are traveling to)
is using for digital modes before purchase.

Close-Call is another nice feature. Helps to determine what frequencies are in use in the vicinity
of where you are.

One ANNOYING aspect of the Uniden line is that DMR & ProVoice are EXTRA cost items.
After you spend $300+ to buy this radio, you then have to register the radio with Uniden,
and pay extra money to get the 'features'. For the cost of this unit, these SHOULD be included!

The small size & large dynamic memory make this a good radio for portable usage.
I'm not sure what the capabilities of your main radio are,
but I have very little reservation recommending this as a secondary or portable radio.

Richard Rosa

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
Yes it will make a nice second scanner but you better have stock in batteries because it sucks when its is running on batteries necause they dont last very long.

Bob1955

Yes it will make a nice second scanner but you better have stock in batteries because it sucks when its is running on batteries necause they dont last very long.
This is true, same applied to the Bearcat BC-125 AT. He also needs to get a better antenna then the stock antenna such as a Diamond RH-7CA too.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Depends on area and how their Network is set up. I lived by Uniden always my go to when getting a new scanner. But since my area went digital p25 not a single Uniden past 396xt has worked for me. I would maybe receive 30% of transmissions out of those 10% would be one sided either you hear the cop our the dispatch. So I had to stick with RS or Whistler scanners. They never let me down.

If you meant to say you hear the cop and not the dispatch you were possibly monitoring a voice channel and not the control channel.

richardrosa

Just about ANY radio that uses NiMh batteries will have a short battery life.
Most radios require a good deal of current to produce a reasonable audio (and a decent backlight),
and NiMH does not hold up well to these demands.
Radios that use Lithium-Ion batteries will provide a much better portable experience, but these batteries have other issues,...

Just keep the USB connector on the radio plugged-in when USB power is available.
If your area is prone to power outages, it doesn't hurt to have a set of fresh batteries standing by..

As I indicated, I do a lot of traveling, and there always seems to be a USB outlet available wherever I go.
I also carry a 110v-> USB adapter for those rare places that are still stuck in the last century :)

Richard Rosa

wscranston

I've found that turning off the backlight greatly increases battery life. Set the backlight mode to "Infinite" and turn it off. Also make sure that none of your channels have an "Alert Color" set. Using rechargeables obviates the need to have stock in batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.