Is the Uniden BCD536HP display issues Fixed or is it still a crap shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
I looked through many threads and little good info is apparent for time invested in doing so, not looking for debates, or bashing one way or the other, just simple info on this $500.00 scanner. Did Uniden ever solve its terrible display issues? Also, who can advise me on establishing date of manufacture? Thanks lads, thats it, I'm simply deciding between this unit and a Whistler.....

marksmith

Uniden doesn't give out specific serial numbers but for the last couple years of manufacture its been fixed. I got my early one fixed and its better than new.

Of course, I suppose its always possible for a very low volume seller to still have a lemon in old inventory. You won't get a bad one from any regular known dealer.

However, I would never buy one at this point. The capability and improved performance of the SDS100 and SDS200 put the 536 to shame by comparison. If you are considering a $500 radio, i would scrap that idea and get a much better radio for $150 or $200 more. I have seen the SDS200 for a little over $500 at Walmart new.

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
Uniden doesn't give out specific serial numbers but for the last couple years of manufacture its been fixed. I got my early one fixed and its better than new.

Of course, I suppose its always possible for a very low volume seller to still have a lemon in old inventory. You won't get a bad one from any regular known dealer.

However, I would never buy one at this point. The capability and improved performance of the SDS100 and SDS200 put the 536 to shame by comparison. If you are considering a $500 radio, i would scrap that idea and get a much better radio for $150 or $200 more. I have seen the SDS200 for a little over $500 at Walmart new.
Thanks mate, but you're mistaken about the price at walmart, the sds200 is $700.00 there too! I already had one and got rid of it, it had multiple issues typical of new designs in need of polishing out bugs, and it lacked an AGC which was the specific reason I dumped it. Display was superb, but I think there to serious issues could well manifest over a 12-18 month spread due to a huge amount of LED generated heat with poor synch. I'll wait a couple more years of Uniden perfecting it before trying another one.

I think I'm just gonna go with the whistler, its for the lake home and mostly for air, I'd like to trust the 536 but its display issues seem to be a significant ongoing issue, though you cannot find really truly pertinent information here as to current status. Most important is discovering date codes within the uniden serial numbering, high volume sellers or not, I expect a great many older new stock units out there and I won't risk it absent clear indications of date of manufacture.....

Eng74

If you buy from a dealer that sells lots of scanners they will have gone through all of their old stock years ago when the problem was. They had a bad batch from their supplier so it was taken care of for free.

Direwolf131

Premium Subscriber
If you buy from a dealer that sells lots of scanners they will have gone through all of their old stock years ago when the problem was. They had a bad batch from their supplier so it was taken care of for free.
A bad batch? The issues with defective displays went on for years, to my knowledge it still manifests, thats one hell of a bad batch! However, if it is believed to have been licked, can you point me in direction of an old thread in which uniden specifically declared problems solved? Thanks...

rcool101

Feed Provider
I have a 436 I bought 2 1/2 yrs ago. It definitely has been upgraded and also has the C1 installed. Get a 536 from Scanner Master and don't worry about it. I think they are on Sale too

Status
Not open for further replies.