Is the Wi-Fi dongle supposed to come with the BCD536HP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2OVX

Is this supposed to be included in the box with the 536 or is it something you have to purchase separately and will the Wi-Fi dongle allow me to hear the audio on the computer and is it possible to use a cell phone at home on my Wi-Fi network to listen to the scanner ?
Does Uniden have an app for phones to allow this feature ?
Does it have any ability to control the scanner from a cell phone ?

Thanks

KC2OVX

Does it allow you to hear audio through the connected computer, or does it just allow you to control the scanner remotely ?

Thanks

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
I'm not 100% sure. I just got a 536 myself still trying to decide whether or not to get the wifi dongle. Probably not.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well what do you expect then. If you purchase one new from a proper reseller, the dongle is included.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
As for using your smart phone to listen and remotely control your scanner take a look at icopyradio.com. It’s a subscription service but it works as advertised. It’s been a while since I used it and don’t know if it caught on or is abandoned but the site is still up.

KC2OVX

I'm not 100% sure. I just got a 536 myself still trying to decide whether or not to get the wifi dongle. Probably not.
I see there is a Serial port on the back and a USB port on the back and I think that's a ethernet port on the back to wire it in using an ethernet cable to my network and I know that other people in my area have fed live audio from the scanner into the scanner apps and I'm wondering if the ethernet port or the Wi-Fi dongle feeds audio as well as allows control of the scanner remotely and if there isan app available that actually allows you to control the scanner and hear the audio over your smartphone

That would be pretty cool if Uniden has a server that allows you to do that just like you're able to control your nest thermostat remotely through Google server

I just got mine and I just got it receiving the signal using a Yagi antenna today.

It is a complicated piece of equipment that's going to require hundreds of hours to learn

But it is the only scanner that I've tried that has actually been able to receive at least some of the talk groups on my County simulcast Phase 2 digital system

The TRX-1, Pro-668, 996P2, none of those were able to receive this signal and decode it.

I wish I had kept the TRX-1 because it did DMR and NXDN and I think they're working on a pro-voice upgrade for it all of which are available for this scanner but you have to pay for each upgrade where the Whistler came included

I really wish the Whistler had worked because it is such a nice scanner

My biggest hurdle now will be figuring out how to create a virtual scanner so I can program The talk groups I want as well as the analog channels and I may just use an analog scanner but some of the channels are 6.25 kilohertz DMR

I see now why people have more than one scanner

Thanks

Bill

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Wi-Fi dongle is included with new 536 scanners. Used, who knows? The USB port on the back of the 536 is where the dongle plugs in. There is no Ethernet port on the 536. Once you connect the dongle to your network, you can stream the audio and control the scanner with ProScan.

KC2OVX

Thank you for this information.
Does Uniden have an APP for doing this via smartphones ?

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Siren, but it hasn't been updated in years, has a lot of bugs, and doesn't run at all on some newer flavors of Android. Maybe @JoeBearcat can persuade Uniden to resume development/maintenance...

Already mentioned to management.

On the original issue, check ALL cardboard in the box. Uniden is great at tucking things in everywhere.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Wi-Fi dongle is included with new 536 scanners. Used, who knows? The USB port on the back of the 536 is where the dongle plugs in. There is no Ethernet port on the 536. Once you connect the dongle to your network, you can stream the audio and control the scanner with ProScan.

As I recall the USB dongle is hidden, tucked in a folded cardboard section of the box. I'm sure a lot of them get tossed in the trash.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is this supposed to be included in the box with the 536 or is it something you have to purchase separately and will the Wi-Fi dongle allow me to hear the audio on the computer and is it possible to use a cell phone at home on my Wi-Fi network to listen to the scanner ?
Does Uniden have an app for phones to allow this feature ?
Does it have any ability to control the scanner from a cell phone ?

Thanks

The Smartphone App sucks! Use ProScan software and a PC

Or...

Scanner + PC + ProScan software setup for remote access via your browser! No USB Dongle needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.