• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is the XTS2500 approved for MURS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmason04

I support our police.
Hello,

I've attempted to find information on approval for the XTS2500 radio with FCC ID: AZ489FT3807 and have not been able to come to the conclusion of whether the XTS2500 is approved for operation on MURS (on the .5W low power setting of course). Does anyone know if this is approved for MURS?

David

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've attempted to find information on approval for the XTS2500 radio with FCC ID: AZ489FT3807 and have not been able to come to the conclusion of whether the XTS2500 is approved for operation on MURS (on the .5W low power setting of course). Does anyone know if this is approved for MURS?

The answer is no. The XTS2500 is —only— approved for Part 90 (LMR) and Part 80 (Marine VHF).

And the obligatory statement:
Yeah, a -lot- of people completely ignore the type acceptance thing and will use any radio they feel like on MUR. It's not right, but people do it. The FCC doesn't roam around looking for this stuff and doesn't have the time to enforce it.

dmason04

I support our police.
The answer is no. The XTS2500 is —only— approved for Part 90 (LMR) and Part 80 (Marine VHF).

Yeah, a -lot- of people completely ignore the type acceptance thing and will use any radio they feel like on MUR. It's not right, but people do it. The FCC doesn't roam around looking for this stuff and doesn't have the time to enforce it.

Thanks, that clarifies it for me.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

And since there are no corporate entities with deep pockets egging them on, they won't spend any time on it, either. IMHO, these days the FCC is mainly a reactive beast, only doing something when they get a complaint. They're generally only proactive when it's something that would benefit the corporations with deep pockets.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Follow the money. The FCC is a TINY government agency with VERY limited enforcement capabilities, and the money in the cellular marketplace is positively gargantuan compared to the peanut fragments that go to MURS activity.

If you want to meet your local friendly FCC enforcement agent, get a cellular jammer off of alibaba or amazon and turn it on.

No, don't do that.

It's one of the few non-weapon products that are actually illegal for a civilian to merely POSSESS in the United States, even if non functional.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The FCC does react to interference to public safety users. Been there, done that. Happens pretty quickly, too.

But there are those that think the FCC comes screaming in code 3 and start slapping around some poor kid using a GMRS radio without a license. They don't work that way.

In my experience, they come in and act like adults. They talk to the offender and address the issues. If it isn't fixed in a reasonable amount of time, they escalate. If you look at the EB documents, you'll see they don't immediately go to fines. It's usually some level of verbal/written warning. The guys that actually get busted by the FCC are being blatantly stupid and continue to do so for a length of time.

K6GBW

Cellphone jammers! God, in 2008 we had one of the local establishments buy one of those off the internet and plug it in. They wanted to stop cellphones during lectures and presentations. They didn't realize the range that they could have. It was jacking up our control channel and took us weeks to track down. The second we unplugged it the problem stopped.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
A M/A-Com (Harris, GE..whatever brand name they used, pick one...) P7100 with a VCO problem (One that can be caused by a failed single specific component) will still transmit at full power with the VCO unlocked, thus creating a wideband sweeping signal generator with some power to it, and a very fast sweep rate. The end result is that if it's close enough to a site to get RF capture over weaker signals, it'll jam a trunking site.

I've seen it. :cautious: Eventually the officer with the flaky radio was identified and he was told to stop using that radio immediately. Every time he tried to use his portable radio it jammed the local site if he was close to it! It quickly went to the radio shop and was repaired soon enough.

Since the basic radio architecture is the same for many GE-Harris radios, you could rig even an old Orion to do the same thing. Don't. But for some reason, those radios don't necessarily inhibit the transmitter in the event of a VCO lock failure. Once upon a time I could have told you why that is. Not now. I'd have to drag out the service manuals to refresh my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.