Is There A Better ProScan Manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

The .pdf manual that comes with ProScan seems to lack a lot of stuff. A lot of things I try to find in the manual aren't there. For example there's nothing about DMR Threshold - what that means or what it does. P25 Low Pass Filter checkbox, not in the manual.

The manual says if you click on Database >Import, that there's a clipboard option, but it's not actually in the software. This is on a registered (paid) version 12.2, Windows 7 64-bit. And there doesn't seem to be anything explaining how to do stuff with quick keys. So is there a better manual for the software?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
The .pdf manual that comes with ProScan seems to lack a lot of stuff. A lot of things I try to find in the manual aren't there. For example there's nothing about DMR Threshold - what that means or what it does. P25 Low Pass Filter checkbox, not in the manual.

The manual says if you click on Database >Import, that there's a clipboard option, but it's not actually in the software. This is on a registered (paid) version 12.2, Windows 7 64-bit. And there doesn't seem to be anything explaining how to do stuff with quick keys. So is there a better manual for the software?

The ProScan manual doesn't cover the Scanner settings such as DMR Threshold because those are in the scanner manual and Mark's Easier To Read manuals. Same goes with the Quick keys.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/ScannerManuals
http://new.marksscanners.com/

ProScan Registered and Demo/Trial are exactly the same in the functionality.

The Get Clipboard was recently updated and moved. Click a Group or Channel node and then look for the Get Clipboard.

Last edited:

CanesFan95

Well, I still don't see where the Get Clipboard is. If I select a group, what do I click on next?

Is this clipboard similar to the EZ Grab thing on FreeScan? Thanks.

35600001446_e783175cd6_o.png

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well, I still don't see where the Get Clipboard is. If I select a group, what do I click on next?

Is this clipboard similar to the EZ Grab thing on FreeScan? Thanks.

35600001446_e783175cd6_o.png

Get Clipboard is located far right. I see Collapse Tree last item on the screen shot. Keep going right.

Is it better then EZ-Grab? Yes without a doubt. A lot more options and better parsing.

CanesFan95

Found it! Thanks. Now I just wish I could understand a lot of the other stuff like what "DMR Threshold" is.

CanesFan95

I just discovered the loopback checkbox that puts the audio out the computer speakers. Depending on what speakers you have, the sky is the limit on the audio quality. On my setup, it ends up being a massive audio improvement. And lots more volume, too. It literally makes the scanner sound like a commercial radio, if not better.

I see there is a notch filter which is another cool feature, but it only lets you go up to 4,000 Hz. But the EDACS beep tones are 4,800 Hz. If the notch filter allowed 4,800 Hz, then it might be possible to notch out the little "peap" sound at the end of EDACS transmissions. This would make it sound real super clean like the real commercial radios do.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I see there is a notch filter which is another cool feature, but it only lets you go up to 4,000 Hz. But the EDACS beep tones are 4,800 Hz. If the notch filter allowed 4,800 Hz, then it might be possible to notch out the little "peap" sound at the end of EDACS transmissions. This would make it sound real super clean like the real commercial radios do.

I'll look into increasing the max frequency from 4000 Hz before the next release. The value of 4000 was chosen because it's 1/2 frequency of the the lowest Sample Rate ProScan/RadioFeed supports which is 8000 Hz per Nyquist Theorem.

CanesFan95

Awesome. So you're the one who wrote this software? I can't fathom the knowledge and time it would take for a person to write this software. The more I use it, the more I realize all the stuff it does. The recording and logging features are outstanding. I can do a lot more with them, like figuring out PL / DCS tones without having to sit and watch the scanner.

I noticed that Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, and Ctrl+V don't work and think it would be nice if we had that functionality, in addition to right-clicking. There are a lot of times where I wanna use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, but they don't work. And some of the drop-down menus make you have to click on it like 3-4 times to get the list to open. Thanks.

CanesFan95

Any of the drop-downs in a Group (either for TG IDs or conventional frequencies) takes 3 clicks.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Any of the drop-downs in a Group (either for TG IDs or conventional frequencies) takes 3 clicks.

I don't follow. Is that the Add Group in the menu? My hunch the reason for three clicks is letting the user choose various options along the way or lack of screen real estate but not sure without a screenshot.

CanesFan95

Understood. And something else I thought I'd mention (while I'm on a roll here). This one is my own doing, but thought I'd mention it only as an FYI. It has to with Windows colors settings. This is on Windows 7 64-bit. Normally, you have a bright white background so you can see the text as normal.

35534059792_53f3531421_o.png

35663618726_c72a699ed7_o.png

But I prefer dark backgrounds, so I have my Windows colors set differently (and weirder than most normal people):

35572172441_00f60caf3f_o.png

This results in some things not being visible in ProScan:

35315789930_a4bf78b30a_o.png

It looks like ProScan sometimes ignores the Window text color setting in Windows and enforces its own black font color, but still uses the Windows background color setting (black in this case). So you get black on black and can't see the text in some places. If the font colors were all setup to always use whatever the Windows user has in their colors settings, then I believe text will display accordingly?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It looks like ProScan sometimes ignores the Window text color setting in Windows and enforces its own black font color, but still uses the Windows background color setting (black in this case). So you get black on black and can't see the text in some places. If the font colors were all setup to always use whatever the Windows user has in their colors settings, then I believe text will display accordingly?

It may be the Win Theme you are using. I seen many ProScan screenshots and this is the first one I've seen with these colors. I suggest changing the settings and see what happens.

ProScan uses the standard Win Colors such as Control, Control Text, Button Face, Highlight, etc.

{edit} even your screenshots of Win shows the same thing. If you have black on black is because Windows Text and Windows may both be black. I would strongly suggest you check out your system.

CanesFan95

Yes, it's my Windows settings, basically my fault by choice. The name of the settings is simply called "Window" in the drop-down list. I have the background set to black, but the text set to blue. So if I have the text set to blue, should ProScan show the text as blue instead of black?

34862292064_5bb1d52bd1_o.png

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Yes, it's my Windows settings, basically my fault by choice. The name of the settings is simply called "Window" in the drop-down list. I have the background set to black, but the text set to blue. So if I have the text set to blue, should ProScan show the text as blue instead of black?

I'll put it on the list. Working on other areas at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.