Is There A Desire For A MN Breaking News/Incidents Thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber

WX0BPR

I see no problem with it either. But there are already similiar type things via social media outlets such as:
Twin Cities Incident Page | Google Groups
The above is on at least Twitter as well as Facebook..

Twitter is a great venue for alerting kinda of stuff, from sunspots to weather to MN dept of safety its all there.

I still like the idea of putting here though.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I think they will add it if there is enough interest, but someone needs to make a request in the site admin forum. I would like to see it added.

I do also use Twin Cities Incident Page, plus there is also "Minnesota Public Safety Monitoring Page" on Facebook.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the replies so far.

I figured I'd check the level of interest prior to formally suggesting it since (from what I've seen) they tell anyone who suggests it, to check.

Anyone else like to weigh in? (If Nate is out there, I'd like your opinion as you may have insights I may not have thought of. Pros vs. Cons)

Last edited:

mmtstc

Ø
I would have to say that I prefer Steve's Google group. It has a better notification system than RR does and is just a bit easier to follow with push notifications on my phone.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Could you send me a link?

Yes, but RRwise, it would have the ability to push a large # of listeners to a feed.
(If I remember correctly, there is some kind of reward system for x # of listeners)

Also, and not knowing much about the Google group, I suspect the number of people who could notify us is larger on RR.
(Think Google+RR, not Google, or RR)

But both of those are just my .02

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Google link!

The one thing I've noticed is, other than on RR, our MN community is kinda spread out across the other sites. Some on TCIP, Some use FB, some on Google........ So this is the one place we're all "together", which Raven pointed out, will lead to discussions. (Among other things)

I also remember how some of us loved to tell everyone about all the cool things they heard(And how on Scanfan we kinda told them to "be quiet") So this would give them a good outlet, and we would value those members for their "passion."

stmills

I started Twin Cities Incident Page 4 and 1/2 years ago to fill the gap of what was missing from the National services and to try and establish a free user driven notification service. We currently have over 600 followers via our different delievery systems. All messages originate from the Google group, and then feed out automaticly from there to Twitter, Facebook. TCIP also has a filtered Email program for those who only want specific types of notifications- mostly businesses that support fire incidents use this, We also have Talkgroups setup on a site using VOIP- Loudtalks- to support voice notification and chat. Through this years I have worked very hard to make sure we put out a quality product that did not cross the lines of risking officer safety- which has been an issue with notification services around the country. We have been fortunate to have a group of dedicated radio listeners who take the time to share and notify on incidents as they happen. I have watch sites come and go around the country while we have been able to keep going because of the members who provide the quality pages we send out. A great testiment to that is TCIP pages have been sited as source for breaking News in the Media. As the ARMER system has grown the ability to expand the areas we can page about has grown since many of the TAC channels are now statewide. I would fully support a group on Radio reference to discuss breaking incidents and recent past incidents like some of State board have here,this is a piece that I tried to ad to TCIP early on but it did not get a lot of participation but I think on the forums here it would be more successful. I would not be a big supporter of trying to use it as a breaking news notification service since we have a good service available that members are free to join and I would rather see the notification growth be on an already established system that is working well and use it to grow the discussions on the incidents. Having a discussion site on monitoring incident is a great asset to new listeners as it helps to beable to read what people were monitoring and where they were hearing it.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for weighing in Steve! I truly appreciate your time. Heck, I still have printouts of your posts from Scanfan I keep for reference.(That is also true for 2 other posters on this thread)

Just to clarify, as a breaking news source, I never meant it as that for people in MN, but for RR members nationwide who may be online at the time. (To drive them to local feeds) With your 600 followers, I can safely say, you're safe from any johnny-come-latelys.

I referenced "Other things" in my last post, just to expand on that... When there is discussion on these breaking threads, it tends to lead to some very good things. Mainly, a desire to give to memorial funds for Officers killed, or a push for strengthening DUI/Vehicular homicide punishments, etc. These things lead to us, as listeners, being seen as a positive thing by officers/local gov. officials who may have negative preconceived notions of us. (Which may help save a hobby that could disappear)

1hdrdr

Premium Subscriber
I think it would be a good link to use. I could of used it a few days ago when I was not sure the Tac traffic I was listening to was a drill or a real situation.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Hey ST, any chance I could be an approved poster on TCIP? I seem to listen to ARMER more than anyone here(This isn't meant as a slight, or anything) And thought I could be of assistance since the "MN Breaking News Thread" idea never took off like I expected it to.

I have no interest in sharing anything that could be used by criminals... Mainly, just fires, multiple MVA's w/Aircare response, people/cars through the ice, and stuff like that.

Oh-well, just a thought.

(PS Whatever happened to Funkytones? name change, or? And come to think about it Faricy? )

Last edited:

stmills

I am always looking for People to join as active posters to TCIP. To Join the group here is the link http://groups.google.com/group/twin-cities-incident-page/subscribe?hl=en
Belowis the old front Page from our Group- the info is no longer on the Group Page since changes by Google but it has the info to get dispatch access and covers message formating.
[FONT=times new roman,serif]Welcome to the Twin Cities Incident Page. [/FONT] [FONT=times new roman,serif]This site is designed to provide details for active Public Safety Incidents.
[/FONT]

to request permission to post to the group create a post with Dispatch access request, then in the message list your City of residence and list the Fire department dispatch frequency or talkgroup for your hometown. This is to prevent spam bots from accessing the system. Thanks You.**

This site is for active public safety incidents in the Twin Cities- however any details that compromise officer safety must be omitted: including details on undercover operations, locations of officers on a perimeter or standoff. Traffic enforcements, Surveillance and stings operations are not to be posted on this Group. Comments and open discussion of incidents should not be posted to this group.

Failure to follow the above guidelines will result the loss of posting ability.

Format messages as follows:
Subject line- City & Incident Type
Body of Message:
Location-address/cross streets or area- except as noted above.

Frequency/Talkgroup
Incident Details
Voice Chat is now available for PC, Android, Blackberry & Windows Mobile users via Loudtalks and joining group TCIPMN Active Incidents
Please Limit Messages on TCIP to breaking Incidents. If you have questions comments or information related to a completed incident please use the co site- TCIP 2

TCIP 2- Incident Discussion Page

Follow TCIP on Twitter

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I personally think the TCIP is adequate for my needs at least. Its effective at getting me notifications. I dont know that RR would be as effective.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'm a little tardy to the party.

Not at all, Sir. Having been in the hobby for as long as I have been, I respect your opinion.

Sorry if I came off grumpy, a lot of times I don't re-read my posts. (And don't realize it could sound different till I see it later.)

Status
Not open for further replies.