Is there a proper way to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
... recruit assistance in identifying a mysterious frequency?

I guess I may be an oddball in as much as I seem to have the need to know just who is broadcasting on certain frequencies I stumble across. Usually I am able to identify the unknown party by researching FCC or the great database here.
But, there are some frequencies in use which, for the life of me, I cannot identify. I don't see any thread about mysterious frequencies and I would like to know what is the proper way to ask for help in identifying strange frequencies. I have tried to request help from a couple forums where I guessed this one particular station was emanating from. To no avail. I do not want to break the rule about multiple threads by asking in a bunch of different state forums.

I guess what I am asking is would it be possible to have a thread dedicated to unknown frequencies for people to post the freq and their location and others could tune in and put their minds together and ID the station in question?

This is where the oddball thing comes into play. Am I the only one out there who enjoys identifying what is received over the air, and when a signal remains unidentified becomes very curious?

I really think it would be a beneficial forum, designed specifically for pooling local scanner enthusiasts to help each other in pinning down just what someone is hearing.

I don't know, just thought it would be a neat forum to have.

n5ims

A global thread isn't really a good idea. For one thing, it would give you answers for southern Florida for a signal in central Iowa when the signals only go a few miles.

First search the database (as it appears you already do) and then the forums to see if somebody already has identified it. Next, start a new thread in your local forum to see if others in your area can hear the signal(s) and help to identify it. Try to put in as much information as you can into that thread as well. "Anyone know who uses 153.125 MHz?" won't give folks much to work on. "I'm hearing traffic on 153.125 MHz in Southwest Wisconsin (the Grant County/Lancaster area). It sounds like folks calling in part numbers to a depot for somebody to gather together for pickup." would be much better.

One important thing to remember once it's been identified. Submit that find to RR so it can be added to the database (use the "Submit Info" button from the top menu bar to do this). That way folks can later find it easily. Be aware that the database folks generally don't search through the forums for submissions. Doing so would be very inefficient and could easily have things put into the database in error since the forum may still have partial or inaccurate information (is that "ABC Appliance Repair" or "Tom's House Calls Repair Service" or perhaps "Joe's Appliance Parts House").

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for reply n5ims, I see what you are saying. However, I still believe a forum dedicated to identifying unknowns would be a valuable resource. I did say that one would give his/her location when reporting an unknown find. Naturally one would not expect someone from Florida to respond to a query from someone in Iowa. However, if a person were to give certain information such as squelch tones, DMR color code, NAC #, etc. it may well nail down a skipping signal which is being copied far from it's source.
Perhaps there is no demand for such a forum.

I think I will continue to post to different state forums in search of the information I seek. I am beginning to think it is skipping in to my location, but I can receive this station with varying degrees of strength at all times.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The best way to approach this is to create a thread in your regional forum. If the State is large then geographically stating an area would be beneficial for the title since someone several hundred miles away in most cases won't hear it.

Doing one giant thread in a global forum is a mess of disorganization and does not work. As it is we are trying to move away from that concept since when they get to be busy it makes finding and participating difficult. People ask the same questions, people hijack the threads, and it snowballs in to frustration.

My goal here is to make finding and getting the information fast. Sometimes it requires making a few extra steps but the end result is better organization and finding the proper audience, which when you have forums this large is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.