• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is there a radio band for P25 digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

There are so many exceptions under
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

One person could license and share. Apply as a Plow Operator and allow his friends to use it. Hell there is a radio(Scanner group) who are applying for frequencies in each band, you belong to the group you can use it. Honestly reading half the Eligibility on new licenses and even renewals, the description doesn't even match who the company is.

Apply saying you perform a service for others in your association.

I believe I said "legitimate business purpose". Unless you're referring to John and Jane Q Public falsely stating they own a business, solely for the intent of acquiring an FCC license and frequencies from the industrial/business pool.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

clbsquared

We'll, there you go. You shouldn't have any trouble setting up your own DMR system. Pay a radio licensing firm ($500-$900) to handle the FCC paperwork and obtain the license. Install your radio equipment and you're on the air.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I will say this in public in the open. That comment was said to explain to people that it is not easy to get an FCC LICENSE. What you want to make it out to be I have no idea as I am still involved in the 2 way radio industry. Unlike 30 years ago when you decide to put up a tower now you have to do all kind of research to make sure it is not past Indian ground then you have to have an FCC coordinator to get your frequency then apply for said frequency.

12dbsinad

Depends on what is available for frequencies in his area. In my area you can't find VHF anything. or UHF for that matter if you are talking a fixed base or repeater.

beaker7

Depends on what is available for frequencies in his area. In my area you can't find VHF anything. or UHF for that matter if you are talking a fixed base or repeater.
I believe there is some frequencies open, heck i only want 1 or 2. If it helps im in Boise ID.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WPXS472

I don't know how much it costs to do it, but if you set up a 501C3 foundation, you can license a radio system for the use of the foundation. I know someone who did it. I am not sure the foundation actually has to do anything. Come to think of it, this same individual has several frequencies licensed in just his name. I don't remember what the justification was listed as. In the OP's case, definitely amateur radio would be his best bet.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Or find a local radio shop who has a system up and find out how much air time is.
Years ago in Dallas there was a group of people who were scanner / police / fire buffs who came to my shop and we gave them airtime on our LTR system at a discount price since they were primarily using it at night when the system was at its quietest.
Many commercial shops have DMR systems up for users to rent. Provide your own radio and that usually makes air time cheaper, but each shop will have its own pricing system.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Or find a local radio shop who has a system up and find out how much air time is.
Years ago in Dallas there was a group of people who were scanner / police / fire buffs who came to my shop and we gave them airtime on our LTR system at a discount price since they were primarily using it at night when the system was at its quietest.
Many commercial shops have DMR systems up for users to rent. Provide your own radio and that usually makes air time cheaper, but each shop will have its own pricing system.

My suggestion exactly. It looks like there's a MotoTrbo system in this OP's area. Gem State Communications (Connect Plus) Trunking System, Various, Idaho - Scanner Frequencies

I found airtime on an existing trunked system to be surprisingly affordable. At least in my area. Currently a subscriber on LTR and NXDN.

bill4long

Setting Up Your Own System

Another option is to lease a talkgroup (and radios) on a trunking repeater system from a commercial communication company in your area. I don't know where you are, but the phone book is full of companies like that. That way you won't have to bother with any of the technicalities or licensing issues.

But if you are inclined at all to get your ham licenses, by all means do that. Any chimpanzee can pass the Technician class test these days with a little study. And there are several websites that make it easy and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.