• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is there a radio (user not software programming) password / lock feature?

mancow

Database Admin
I wish there was a way to somehow lock the unit so it's not accessible until a code is selected or button combo press or something. Does such a thing exist? I'm assuming not because I can find nothing about it in the PPS or help but figured I would ask.

mancow

Database Admin
I thought that was pps access to the radio to read and write. I mean something like a phone unlock so if left unattended someone can't use it.

jabbeaux

lock the unit so it's not accessible until ... button combo press...

Pager: Menu button >> Function Status >> Auto Keypad Lock = ON
or
PPS: Tab #6 Pager Function List Setting >> Device Function Setting, tab at top >> "Auto Keypad Lock" = tick box

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You are referring to keypad lock. The OP wants the entire thing to be locked aka not accessible or working unless the code is entered. its not a feature that is available.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Why would you want/need such a feature?

I could see the benefit in limited cases, if it is an agency pager and you have encrypted TGs in the pager you might not want others to be able to listen without permission. Again, this wouldn't be for those using as a scanner type pager, but agency use.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Does your average affiliated Motorola used by public safety agencies have such an option? I would suspect that having a locking feature would best require an actual numeric keypad, which of course the Unication's lack.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
yes,
All my equipment has user locks.
APX, BK, XPR7550, XTS2500, XTS5000. Its an added safety feature. Someone steals my radio and they turn it on it needs to be unlocked to work.
I made a cop pretty mad once when he asked to see my radio. Handed it to him, he turned it on and asked me for the pass code. I said sorry sir your not authorized to use my radio. Went back and forth a bit and he tried to play FCC cop but i simply said Ok and waited for him to hand me my radio back and went about my business.
With a radio that can transmit its a key feature in my opinion. But with a device that is RX only while it would be neat to have its less important.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
With a radio that can transmit its a key feature in my opinion. But with a device that is RX only while it would be neat to have its less important.
I would agree. The capability to transmit places a radio in a whole different category, especially considering the potential for pandemonium.

tyler3328

yes,
All my equipment has user locks.
APX, BK, XPR7550, XTS2500, XTS5000. Its an added safety feature. Someone steals my radio and they turn it on it needs to be unlocked to work.
I made a cop pretty mad once when he asked to see my radio. Handed it to him, he turned it on and asked me for the pass code. I said sorry sir your not authorized to use my radio. Went back and forth a bit and he tried to play FCC cop but i simply said Ok and waited for him to hand me my radio back and went about my business.
Keep in mind if you are running hardware encryption you cannot use radio lock.