Is there a setting for VOX for the archives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitechRadio

Sorry if this has been asked before.
When listening to audio archives, is there a setting so you do not have to listen to all the dead air?

hitechRadio

I posted this in the rant section, is this possible? As far as the VOX?

The issue of delay should not be an issue, Technically speaking.
I think allowing the Client side software to have a selection of delay, and add a VOX feature with time stamping for archives. Nothing worse than listening to archives with dead air. The Client only sends data to you (servers), when the VOX threshhold is met. To a user listening to live audio no data = silence. No more hissing and crap when the client has poor audio set up and line noises.

This way all the buffering is done on the client side, you just rebroadcast and the arvhives can be archived without dead air and time stamped. Might save ya some storage space on the servers too of both dead air and delay.

My not be as simple as it sounds, and sure it has been thought of already. But the client/s are basically helping to provide you income should have some control.

Maybe someone, computer savy could create or if there is not already a piece of software that will buffer/delay the audio before it even gets to the Client Broadcastify software. Kind of a middle man so to speak.

talkpair

If you are downloading the files, you can use Audacity to remove the silence.

Removing Silence with Audacity

I use 'sox' from the Linux command line:

Code:
sox filein.mp3 fileout.mp3 silence -l 1 0.1 1% -1 2.0 1%

I think the problem with doing this site-wide would dealing with the varying levels of noise between transmissions from feed-to-feed.

The noise level between transmissions on one feed might be a valid transmission on another feed.

You could customize a script for each individual feed, but if the feed provider were to make any changes that might affect the level of noise during silence, then the script may no longer function as intended.
Add in the amount of processing required to run these scripts at site level, I'm sure it quickly becomes an administrative nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.