SDS100/SDS200: Is There A Way To Search For Just One Type Of Digital Mode With The Uniden SDS100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I haven't been super active with my Uniden SDS100, so I am coming back up to speed with things. If I recall correctly, at least in the past, when I used the Search mode, it heard any signals it came across, regardless if they are analog or digital. There was no way to search for just P25, DMR or NXDN signals. I assume that hasn't changed and probably won't change. Would there be any workarounds?

Will setting a Uniden SDS100 scanner to NAC F7E still have no effect on what it receives? Or, at least in the case of a Uniden scanner, would it actually prevent it from receiving anything? It does look like F7E is a choice in the Butel software and on the Uniden SDS100, but it would not be useful, I assume for a Uniden scanner?

I assume that DMR is the same regarding Color Code. There is no way to scan or search for just DMR signals, correct?

I know that when selecting RAN Codes, the choices are 0-63. What would selecting RAN 0 do? Would it effectively block out all other NXDN traffic on the channel, since the legitimate codes are 1-63 or would it allow just all NXDN traffic to pass?

Here is one possible workaround I am considering. Let's say I want to log all of the DMR activity in my area from 450-454.9875 and 460-464.9875. If I program a group of frequencies in sequential order with Color Code 0, I should get just activity on that frequency, using Color Code 0, regardless of Time Slot or Talk Group ID, correct? With a bit of time, say I changed the Color Code each day for 16 days in a row, I should get quite a bit of the active DMR frequencies.

Similarly, with APCO P25, if I program a group of frequencies with a specific NAC Code, I assume I should get just legitimate P25 frequencies using that NAC Code. Unless, of course, there is mixing, intermodulation, front end overload, etc.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Your choices are Analog or Digital. There is no way to limit it by type of digital modulation. NAC F7E does not work with a scanner the way it does with a real radio; i.e. it is not "digital CSQ" to limit to P25 only, so that's not an option. Same for RAN 0.

The scanner displays the type of modulation it's receiving, so why bother with tedious workarounds? Just look at the display when a digital signal is received and figure out what the modulation and NAC/CC/RAN is. ProScan will log all of that if the scanner is connected to a PC.

Ubbe

Let's say I want to log all of the DMR activity in my area from 450-454.9875 and 460-464.9875. If I program a group of frequencies in sequential order with Color Code 0, I should get just activity on that frequency, using Color Code 0, regardless of Time Slot or Talk Group ID, correct? With a bit of time, say I changed the Color Code each day for 16 days in a row, I should get quite a bit of the active DMR frequencies.
That seems to be the only way to do it, without using computer control. But you probably only need to search the frequency range from the basestations transmit frequency?

That 5Mhz frequency search table in 12,5KHz steps will be 500 channels and will take 5 seconds or longer to scan. You set the delay to -5 seconds so it will continue to scan after 5 second of sampling a transmission and set recording to on and preferable use the Uniden Wav player and organizer program to look at the result. Uniden wav files player and organizer

You can create the search tables in any Butel program, even the demo ones, and then copy and paste the columns with frequencies and name tags into Sentinel, which will automaticly add lines to cover all the frequencies.

A DMR transmission will probably last longer than 10 seconds including the hangtime the basestation has after a conversation has ended, so you can make another department, or system, with another batch with a different color code and have a scan cycle up to 10 seconds without missing anything. Even double that channel amount would probably let you catch any systems within your coverage. I have maybe 50-60 seconds scan cycle in my search and seems to catch everything when letting the scanner be on during the day.

/Ubbe

Kaleier1

Get this Uniden Wav files player and set your scanner to record. Then you can use that player to see what frequencies have digital transmissions. It will even show slots and color codes for DMR.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
How do you set a search up for one or the other. Search for digital only, for example?
You know what...upon further review, I don't think you actually can. For some reason when I wrote that post, I had it in my mind that you could restrict it to Analog or Digital, but its probably only the FM/NFM/WFM/etc. that you can restrict, which isn't helpful in the least.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Right now I am trying what I referred to in my earlier post. I have a bank of 800 channels. The first 400 are 450-454.9875 in 12.5 kHz increments and the last 400 channels are 460.464.9875. They are programmed as DMR with Color Code 1. When I scan them this way, I should get just legitimate DMR signals using Color Code 1. Traditional searching works okay, but I have noticed that there can be problems.

I just checked the History Log and here are a few of the active signals. It still logs the Time Slot and TGID. Since there are only sixteen different Color Codes, this will be a good way for me to log activity.

453.6000MHz TGID 1 453.60000 MHz Color Code 1-Color Code 1 1 Conventional - Scan Mode - conventional_scan - DMR CC - FL

461.8500MHz TGID 59 461.85000 MHz Color Code 1-Color Code 1 1 Conventional - Scan Mode - conventional_scan - DMR CC - FL

461.5500MHz TGID 0 461.55000 MHz Color Code 1-None Conventional - Scan Mode - conventional_scan - DMR CC - FL

461.5375MHz 461.53750 MHz All-None 1 Conventional - Scan Mode - conventional_scan - DMR CC - FL

461.5250MHz TGID 59 --- UID 31509

461.5250MHz TGID 59 461.52500 MHz Slot 1

Ubbe

One of the problems with search are that you can only avoid 255 frequencies. When setting up scan lists you can avoid all the known frequencies before you start to scan. I have a favorite list for search with different systems for each frequency range and then departments within the system with the different subbands.

I have the channels set up to do only analog and I then listen to the recordings if it's DMR or something else. Then I set them in a special system with different departments for digital and analog and with all frequencies set to priority and monitor when I'm at the scanner.

Encrypted chanels are never logged in scan mode but all data are logged in search mode. So I have used the 10 different search ranges to only search one frequency each to be able to do traffic analyzes of TG and ID's in scan+search mode.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.