Is there an Antenna Switch so I can switch from HF Transmitter to my Scanner?

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
I currently have LMR-400 to my HF transceiver but I would like to change antennas from HF to my Scanner. I don't want to keep unscrewing PL259 connectors to switch from HF antenna tuner to my Scanner.

I've seen some like the Intellitron AS-1702 2-Position HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Switch or MFJ-1702C

Any suggestions on a switch that will cover HF and the ability to switch to feed my SDS200 Scanner?

Thanks for any suggestions?

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
Think I'm gonna try this TW-102 2 Position Coaxial Switch It does state in the questions:
"This coaxial switch can be used reversely to connect one antenna to two radios, allowing you to switch between radios using the same antenna. According to the product description, this switch has a frequency range of DC-1000MHz and impedance of 50 Ohm. Multiple customers have confirmed that this switch can be used to connect one antenna to two radios."

Freq coverage is fine.....guess I'll check it out!

Unless anyone has a better suggestion! Thanks all!

merlin

Here is one that will fill your bill. the good side, is the switched out port is grounded so transmitting on the through port will not pass RF to anything connected to the switched out port.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
i bought a Daiwa switch to do just that, but can't bring myself to use it, for fear even low levels of HF RF will se their way to the front end of the scanner and bye bye scanner!

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
i bought a Daiwa switch to do just that, but can't bring myself to use it, for fear even low levels of HF RF will se their way to the front end of the scanner and bye bye scanner!
If that were to happen BUT the scanner is turned off.....could this still be a problem?

Ubbe

I would like to change antennas from HF to my Scanner. I don't want to keep unscrewing PL259 connectors to switch from HF antenna tuner to my Scanner.
It's a bit unclear here what you got. You have two antennas, one HF and one scanner antenna, and you have a HF transceiver that then use the HF antenna and you have a SDS100 that use the scanner antenna but you have only one coax that you will need to switch at both ends to the correct antenna and correct radio ? I take it that you do not use the HF antenna to listen to VHF/UHF on the SDS100?

A diplexer at both ends will isolate enough to not damage the scanners intput circuits.

/Ubbe

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
How difficult would it be to mount a separate scanner antenna, like a wide bend disk cone?
Yea......thought about that but mounting 2 would be pushing it in the "HOA"......

I have an AB Switch and it works great and just to be sure, I unplug the BNC from the SDS200 if/when using the transmitter....

JustinWHT

i bought a Daiwa switch
Specs for the Daiwa switch show 60 dB isolation from DC - 600 MHz.

So a 100 Watt HF transmitter will have only .1 mW going into the scanner. Compare that to a mobile set up where there is a 50 Watt mobile radio antenna a few feet from a scanner antenna - I doubt that create a problem, but I'm open to be corrected.

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
Specs for the Daiwa switch show 60 dB isolation from DC - 600 MHz.

So a 100 Watt HF transmitter will have only .1 mW going into the scanner. Compare that to a mobile set up where there is a 50 Watt mobile radio antenna a few feet from a scanner antenna - I doubt that create a problem, but I'm open to be corrected.
Yes.....you're probably correct but I don't know what the tolerances are and not that experienced nor do I want to take a chance.....I would hate to lose the SDS200!

And I saw that Daiwa and I (if understanding correctly) would hate to degrade any freq to the scanner (DC-600....I would miss some Mil Air and local police/fire since they do still use everything under the sun including some freqs around 150 MHz.....

Last edited:

JustinWHT

Yea......thought about that but mounting 2 would be pushing it in the "HOA"......
Claim you use to receive an internet signal and the evil HOA can't prohibit it.

The FCC's OTARD Rule that originally protected homeowners from HOA restrictions was expanded to include wireless internet antennas.

WHT FN rules!

Last edited:

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
I should just become part of "SKYWARN" with all of the hurric..NOT going to say it and Tropl Storms! Then I could claim necessary for emergency communications and public safety!....

Unidener

Premium Subscriber
Someone needs to build a Silo so I can put both antennas in there and bring up the one when it's needed......Like a old electric car antenna:rolleyes: