Is There An Increase in Scanner Sales Since Pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am wondering if scanner sales have increased since the COVID-19 outbreak? I would think people cooped up at home would be curious enough to splurge for a scanner, but then again with the imminent threat of a recession forthcoming, I wonder if sales are down. Thoughts?

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
I would think that people would be worried more about being able to pay their bill since there not working rather than spending money foolishly buying a scanner at this tile, beside you aren't going to hear much because of the HIPPA laws anyway.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Good point. Then there are those who have pondered the idea and might be now thinking 'I should have bought that scanner!' Altho tonight my local PD is darn near mute. Just went 15 minutes without a transmission. Very quiet night out there.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Your theory might hold some water, Tailgator. I am seeing an uptick on the download numbers on my podcast “Scanner School” in the last few weeks.

I can only assume my numbers are up because people must be catching up on podcasts, dusting off their scanners and are picking up the hobby again, or they are just really bored and can’t think of anything better to do. Lol

marksmith

To be honest, I have not heard a lot more activity due to the pandemic. Seems like about the same or less scanner activity. EMS has a code when dispatched telling the medics it is a possible or definite virus case so they know how to gear up, but because of fewer people on the road there are fewer accident or other calls.

Might be different if I were in NYC.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I would think that people would be worried more about being able to pay their bill since there not working rather than spending money foolishly buying a scanner at this tile, beside you aren't going to hear much because of the HIPPA laws anyway.
Really not that much detail given out on the radio to violate HIPAA laws. Virus calls are usually just high temperature and respiratory distress, they are not confirming the diagnosis at dispatch and that's just the patients who actually go to the hospital. Most China virus patients are just sent home to be in isolation and get better.

The interesting listening is not to hear details about the virus as we have our federal and local officials giving us press conferences and telling us what to do. Unfortunately some people believe the media but it's best to get it from the source.

The reason people want to have a scanner during this time it's to hear the other effects that the shutdowns are having and the unemployment and the desperation from not being able to get cigarettes alcohol drugs, the domestic disputes, the crime.

That brings us to the most important thing here that it's different all over the country. If you were one of the last states to go in the lockdown you are at one stage I'm in Pennsylvania and we are finishing our third week. The Dynamics get different every week and we are the state with the most unemployment in the country. We are responsible for almost a million of the 10 million unemployed in the country since this started.

It is more quiet on the radio but when it gets busy, it's really bizarre.

Trenton New Jersey where I worked and I'm now retired is 10 minutes away across the river and they were totally out of control tonight with multiple shootings and homicides. Crowds and crowds of people in the street. Lots of extra Manpower brought in and it's starting to calm down but I think they will still be finding the bodies tomorrow.

I appreciate having my scanner at this time so I know what's going on around me.

Last edited:

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber

HIPPA only applies to personal information, not whether or not someone has the virus.

Xray

To be honest, I have not heard a lot more activity due to the pandemic. Seems like about the same or less scanner activity. EMS has a code when dispatched telling the medics it is a possible or definite virus case so they know how to gear up, but because of fewer people on the road there are fewer accident or other calls.

Might be different if I were in NYC.

Lots of activity around me, I live within radio distance of major hotspot Detroit. EMS around me anyhow generally don't use codes, they come right out and say "known Covid-19 location" or possible. Cops tend to say "Charlie 19 Location" of just Charlie location. Been hearing med flights too, don't recall ever hearing those before. I would estimate at least 1 out of 5 calls have been charlie related past few days.

Quite a bit of non standard emotional traffic, some for moral support. Heard one dispatch saying their was a grief counselor available in the lobby if anyone needs one [not sure if that was LE or EMS i have LE, EMS and Fire for various locations all lumped together]], and another dispatcher said the force was stretched so thin they couldn't make any routine runs. Hats off to 1st responders, they are the thin line between anarchy and civility.

storm777

Premium Subscriber
I am wondering if scanner sales have increased since the COVID-19 outbreak? I would think people cooped up at home would be curious enough to splurge for a scanner, but then again with the imminent threat of a recession forthcoming, I wonder if sales are down. Thoughts?

I dunno...A combination of financial reasons & the programming learning curve, I think, would influence the average person from not making that purchase.

However, a question to ask is whether various Broadcastify listener counts are on the rise. The average person would be drawn to something quick & easy & which wouldn't cost anything.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I Am listening more frequently. There is a ton of traffic regarding quarantine activities. Also I am hearing calls for difficulty breathing, dead bodies etc,. Not sure if there is an uptick in EMS calls but it seems busy considering nobody is supposed to be out and about,

trap5858

Premium Subscriber

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Been hearing a lot more breathing difficulty calls. As I'm writing this, a patient crashed in the middle of an albuterol treatment and they started CPR in the ambulance while already en route. Not sure how rescue breathing works with COVID...:unsure:

All hospital call-ins specify whether COVID is suspected now.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They're using a BVM (bag/valve mask) to avoid patient contact, but nebulizer treatments are a perfect way to aerosolize the virus. I hope they have good PPE...

N4DJC

Sales may be up with serious scanner enthusiasts.

It's been close to normal here in the daytime with less than normal activity at night, other than the drunks and druggies still laying in roads, yards, etc.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I hear more traffic from DTW airport than law enforcement, and EMS is busy with the usual falls, lift assistance, and other normal calls.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Really not that much detail given out on the radio to violate HIPAA laws.

You should come tell that to a local hospital with a COVID drive up screening tent. Once a 'patient' drives into a parking "slot" their full name, DOB, home address and insurance provider is given over the radio.

Granted only people like me would listen to this stuff but I've gotta justify the scanner cost somehow. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.